Duck...it's what's for dinner (Drunken Wild Duck Pot Pie)

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Duck...it's what's for dinner (Drunken Wild Duck Pot Pie)

Postby Frodo Bags'em » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Just in time for Thanksgiving!

IMG_3706.JPG
IMG_3706.JPG (330.24 KiB) Viewed 3110 times

Drunken Wild Duck Pot Pie
by Uncle Paulie
There are some things in life that you should resort to purely for the comfort of one’s own soul. This recipe is one that my wife learned at her mother’s apron strings and is her chicken potpie recipe which I have modified accordingly for wild duck, and added a few extra ingredients. For my family, friends and fellow sportsmen, I hope you will enjoy what this man from deep East Texas considers a true gourmet recipe.

INGREDIENTS
1. Two large ducks(mallards) or 3 medium ducks(pintails/gadwalls/woodies/shovelers) or 4-6 teal
2. Two large potatoes/four to five large carrots/one large onion
3. Two large tomatoes or 4-5 roma tomatoes
4. Three celery stalks
5. Green onion tops (2-3)
6. One tablespoon dried parsley/one tablespoon garlic powder/one tablespoon dried thyme/1/2 teaspoon black pepper
7. 1/2 teaspoon sage/3 or 4 sprigs fresh thyme if you have it
8. Two chicken bouillon cubes
9. 8 oz white or cremini mushrooms
10. 1 can cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
11. 1 can large English peas (may substitute lima beans)
12. 1 can large pitted black olives

1) Take 2 large ducks (mallards)or 3 medium ducks (pintail/gadwalls/shovelers/woodies) or 4-6 teal, cleaned and thawed if they have been frozen and soak in a large covered pot in saltwater overnite in the fridge. Make sure the little livers have been taken out. On the next day rinse, then marinate in red wine. A bottle of <$3 cabernet sauvignon is perfect. Add a few sprigs of fresh thyme if you have it. Marinate in a covered pot overnight or even a full 24 hours in the refrigerator. Remember, the longer the marinade the better.

2) On the following day pour out wine but keep the thyme sprigs. Place ducks in a large enamelware cooking pot and cover with 2” of water. Into the pot goes the following: Peel and slice 4-5 large carrots. Peel and chop 2 large tomatoes or 4-5 roma tomatoes. Chop: 1 large onion, 3-4 celery stalks and the green onions. Add dried parsley/garlic powder/sage/thyme to the pot. Peel and cube 2 large potatoes but wait to add. Add all sliced/chopped vegetables except potatoes to pot of ducks and water. Add 2 chicken bouillon cubes. Bring to full boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 1 full hour covered. Keep it at 1 hour and no longer so the vegetables don’t turn to mush. NOTE: Add the cubed potatoes at the last 30 minutes, just so they don’t turn too soft.

3) While this is cooking, slice up 8 oz. of white or cremini mushrooms. Butter a skillet and sauté the mushrooms. Salt/pepper to taste. Once cooked, remove any liquid and from heat, let cool, put in small bowl, saran wrap to preserve flavor, reserve in the fridge for later.

4) After cooking ducks 1 hour, take pot off stovetop, let cool in the covered stockpot. This cooling down process will take several hours. You can’t rush this, because flavor from the bones goes into the meat and the broth. Now, if you have the time, cool down in the fridge overnight as the flavor goes into the stratosphere. Once cool, take the cold ducks out, skin and debone. Remove breast meat carefully and slice into bite size cube sizes. Remove all small meat off birds and add to breast meat. Discard skin and bones. BOLO alert for steel shot.

5) Now in the pot is the duck stock and cooked vegetables. Remove excess stock and place in a bowl or just discard. If you like, this can be frozen & used later for a good barley winter soup. You want the stock to be halfway below the top of the vegetables, that is +/- only 1 cup of stock left in the pot. Add 1 can of cream of mushroom soup (undiluted) to this vegetable stock mixture. Stir gently to incorporate the cream of mushroom soup into the vegetable stock. Add ½ teaspoon black pepper.

6) Once the mushroom soup has been incorporated into the stock, add 1 can of large English peas(may substitute lima beans) and 1 can of pitted large black olives. Add reserved sautéd mushrooms & duck meat. Stir gently and set aside.

7) Time to make the pie crust dough, which incidently is so easy, you could’ve done it when you were four and a half years old. Place 4 1/2 cups of flour in a large bowl and make a little depression in the middle of the flour. Add 2 egg yolks and a little bit of salt to the flour. Add 3 ½ to 4 sticks of cut up room temp Country Crock margarine. Use sticks, not the tub type, as the stick magarine has less moisture. Knead together with just your fingers or a dough cutter. Let this dough rest for 5-10 minutes. Do not overwork the dough. Note: You can also do this recipe with 2 sticks butter & 2 sticks margarine. Note: The dough will be too crumbly though if you use only butter.

8) In a large glass baking dish(13“ x 9“), press the piecrust dough onto the bottom and sides of the dish. Keep it a uniform thickness (about 1/4”) on the bottom as well as up the sides of the dish. Once done, place a piece of wax paper on the countertop and roll out the rest of the dough with a roller for the top of the pot pie. Use a little flour to keep the dough from sticking to the roller and wax paper.

9) Pour the duck/vegetable mixture into this dough lined dish. Add the piecrust top dough. Knead the edges to close the top crust onto the bottom crust. Now make an egg wash for the top crust. Place a 1 ½ ” pat of real butter in a cup and microwave it barely 3-5 seconds, just enough to melt it. Add 1 egg yolk and mix these together well. Brush this egg wash mixture onto the top of the pie crust.

10) Preheat oven to 350 Farenheit. Bake duck pot pie for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1h20m. Once done, remove from oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes before serving. This is a hearty meal in itself, however may be served with green garden salad, parmesan cheese topping and dinner rolls. Note: my daughters and I are the only ones in my family that eat wild game. If I’m lucky, they will be out of town and this will last me for an entire week. The flavor of this pot pie gets even tastier from the second day on, but what really takes it to the next level is step number four. Now, haven’t I have given you a really good reason to get those ducks out of the freezer? Bon appetit!

IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG (222.55 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
Last edited by Frodo Bags'em on Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frodo Bags'em
hunter

Re: Duck...it's what's for dinner (Drunken Wild Duck Pot Pie

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:56 am

Looks good. I like the little dough duck on the pie. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Frodo Bags'em » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:31 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Looks good. I like the little dough duck on the pie. :thumbsup:

Inda...Thanks!

I also do this potpie with venison from my "Drunken Smoked BBQ Venison Roast".
Guess I'll have to get creative with a buck profile on that crust.

Now, my next cooking adventure is to make your "Duck Breast Parmesan".
I have a little Italian spaghetti maker that I want to use to make spinach fettucini.
Probably for the New Year. Have some folks over.
Great expectations for that "Duck Breast Parmesan".
Will tell you how it comes out with photos.

Merry Christmas to all and may God bless us everyone.
Last edited by Frodo Bags'em on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frodo Bags'em
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:32 pm

:thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking