Switch to full site
What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.
Post a reply

Dehydrator

Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:49 pm

Hey does anyone have any recommendations on a good dehydrator? I enjoy duck and goose jerky and would like one of my own. Looking for something mid-level not a cheapy but dont wanna throw down a ton of cash. (Looking for something in the $50 range or so).

Re: Dehydrator

Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:20 am

I have one made by Nesco. Not sure if this is the exact one, but at least very similar. http://www.nesco.com/products/Dehydrators/Dehydrators/FD-60HW-Snackmaster-Express-6-Tray-Food-Dehydrator/session_cb275fa00a4d/ This one happens to be on sale now at the same price ($75) for the model with fewer trays.

I think mine came with 4 trays and I bought 4 extra. I can do 6 lbs of beef jerky at a time. More than that and it starts getting pretty crowded, and you don't want crowded. Air circulation is the key. I rotate the trays every hour or 2 moving the bottom to the top so meat gets evenly dried.

It's not very loud although it does make a whirring/roaring sound. Trays are plastic and I put them through the dish washer. I've had mine for at least 10 years.

Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:02 am

I bought this one a few weeks ago at bed Bath & Beyond. Made duck jerky with it and it worked great.

I used one of the 20% off coupons and got it for $54 out the door.

I get them in the mail frequently but if you don't have one you can sign up for their emails and they will email you one.

Also, if you have an expired one that was sent to your address they will still honor it so don't throw those away!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/p ... word=nesco

I think it's the same one RankDuck posted without the extra two trays, fruit trays (mine came with four trays and one fruit tray) and the seasoning packs.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:38 am

I also have a Nesco. It's called the American harvester fd-80 it's square and700 watts. The fan is mounted on top and it comes with 4 trays and you can buy 4 more. I have been very happy with it. A little more than u want to spend , but you can get them on Amazon for $75 free shipping. I have had several that were cheaper and they just didn't last.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:23 pm

If you want a free dehydrator, just use your oven. Works great. I've made duck and deer jerky with mine this year and it was pretty easy. Just put foil under it to catch the drips.
Post a reply