coots

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

coots

Postby andyr » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:57 pm

so does anyone ever shoot them an eat them and what do they really taste likeImage
andyr
Newb

Re: coots

Postby Big_water » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:22 pm

All waterfowl taste the same in the jerky bag the meat is no darker than ducks and they all eat the same things in general. I personally dont shoot them much but I shot a couple last year and they tasted fine. Some say they taste better than ducks especially the liver?
If your not a liberal by 20 you have no heart. If your not a conservative by 30 you have no brain.
Big_water
hunter

Postby cyclegrip » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:05 pm

I ate some
Breast smell like a fish
They don't taste bad if you put a ton of seasoning on them lol
cyclegrip
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:25 am

I've fed them to the dog before and have eaten them myself pounded out the breast then breaded and fried them in bacon grease in a cast iron pan, tasted good that way. But anything breaded and fried usually does. I kill them if they come in hell I kill crows if they come in. Assuming no ducks are coming in or near by.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby redheaded » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:46 am

I've made jerky before and they seem to taste just fine.
redheaded
hunter

Postby send the dog » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:41 pm

crock-pot and bbq sauce, pulled coot sandies and they were pretty good.
send the dog
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:00 pm

I love coot meat most guys say they taste like crap and haven't even ate them. cook breast in frying pan oil pepper salt garlic med rare :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

coots

Postby duckdogID » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:47 pm

I was a huge disbeliever in the whole coot eats good.....I wouldn't shoot them or try them. But the boyfriend cooked them up the same way we did our other birds and they taste very good. Extremely tender, there breast are naturally light pink. I was shocked lol guess I ate my words.....I'll shoot them now if the birds are slow ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The meat dont fry if the lead dont fly" "God only gives us so many sunrises. I don't see any need to miss one of 'em."
:sniper:
duckdogID
hunter

Postby ozzie » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:28 pm

duckdogID wrote:I was a huge disbeliever in the whole coot eats good.....I wouldn't shoot them or try them. But the boyfriend cooked them up the same way we did our other birds and they taste very good. Extremely tender, there breast are naturally light pink. I was shocked lol guess I ate my words.....I'll shoot them now if the birds are slow

Never shot them myself, and am wary just because of what I've heard. But very curious about your description of the breast meat color. When you skin them, they're not deep purple like a goldeneye? They're light pink? Are they tough to skin and get the meat off like a goldeneye or merganser? Can you pull it off, or do you need to fillet the breasts off then skin with a knife?
ozzie
Newb

coots

Postby duckdogID » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:37 pm

They are very easy to skin....just cut a small hole and pull the skin up and cut the Brest off the bone.....only hard part is there fat. There very light and tender more so than a mallard

"The meat dont fry if the lead dont fly" "God only gives us so many sunrises. I don't see any need to miss one of 'em."
:sniper:
duckdogID
hunter

Postby Big_water » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:20 pm

I'd eat a coot before I'd eat a merganser or goldeneye.
If your not a liberal by 20 you have no heart. If your not a conservative by 30 you have no brain.
Big_water
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:18 am

ozzie wrote:
duckdogID wrote:I was a huge disbeliever in the whole coot eats good.....I wouldn't shoot them or try them. But the boyfriend cooked them up the same way we did our other birds and they taste very good. Extremely tender, there breast are naturally light pink. I was shocked lol guess I ate my words.....I'll shoot them now if the birds are slow

Never shot them myself, and am wary just because of what I've heard. But very curious about your description of the breast meat color. When you skin them, they're not deep purple like a goldeneye? They're light pink? Are they tough to skin and get the meat off like a goldeneye or merganser? Can you pull it off, or do you need to fillet the breasts off then skin with a knife?

like skinning a dove....super easy, especially if you use a cane knife.
https://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=225599&start=0
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby perchhead » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:29 am

I started eating coots a couple of years ago. Very good, somewhat of a small breast, but a big gizzard.
perchhead
hunter

Postby Old Duck Getter » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:03 pm

As far as getting the breast meat off, lay the coot on it's back-stand on both feet-grab wings close to the body and pull up. Wings and breast will pull off leaving skin/feathers on the body. Then just cut meat from breast bone. There is a lot of meat on the legs. I peal them out and cut off. I brine these and put in the smoker. makes great snack food. Don't try this with regular ducks, it doesn't work on them.

old duck
Old Duck Getter
State Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking