goose/duck steak

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

goose/duck steak

Postby handyandy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:42 am

I'm sure some have done something similar just thought I'd share my way.

Step one: pound out duck or goose breast flat with tenderizing meat mallet

Step two: marinate in Italian dressing with mustard around 2/3 to 3/4 dressing 1/3 to 1/4 mustard plain old cheap yellow mustard is what I use. I marinate mine in a zip lock large enough to hold the amount of meat I'm making and enough marinade to cover all the meat.

Step three: I always let mine marinate over night then cook the next day on the grill or cast iron pan with some bacon grease or butter medium rare if cooked all the way through it's not nearly as good. I can't stress that enough medium rare not medium well or medium. MEDIUM RARE! If you want to feed someone else this no matter what they say, and how much they like steak well done it's best MEDIUM RARE. Duck, goose, and deer a like gets to dry, tough, and livery tasting if it doesn't have some red in the middle.

This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy duck or goose. I have eaten canadians this way and many ducks. Never done it with divers or snow geese though. I always fry my divers and make snows into burger or jerky. I made this one time with my girlfriend told her I was cooking her steak, didn't say from what animal. She ate it no problems asked how I cooked it cause she liked it but was a little different than most steak, that's when I told her it was goose. She now has no problems trying anything I make with wild game.
Attachments
IMG_0228.JPG
IMG_0228.JPG (286.25 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Re: goose/duck steak

Postby handyandy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:43 am

This particular time I cooked it in the pan with some diced up onion it was good.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby AIN0KEA » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:30 am

Here's a greenhead I pan fried recently kalbi style. Flying steak I tell you!

No pounding. I just soaked in water, drained, and repeated about 3 times. After let it marinate in a ziploc bag of your favorite kalbi marinade overnight. Pan fried on medium high heat for a couple minutes. Turned down to medium with the cover for a few more until it reached my desired steak doness (for the lack of a better word). Served on a bed of jasmine rice.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1418538123970.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1418538123970.jpg (923.43 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
AIN0KEA
Newb

Postby sharris » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:27 pm

When I want Canada goose to taste like steak I put a nice steak rub on it and then quickly brown the edges in a metal skillet coated in olive oil. Then I put the lid on the skillet and put it in the over at 275 until medium rare. My wife doesn't like wild game but has a hard time telling goose cooked this way from beef.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2017-18 Season
Ducks: 13
Geese: 11
sharris
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:55 pm

try them like this:
season meat, coat with flour, then in egg wash, then in 50/50 italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. fry in olive oil and butter. MMMMMMMM!!!

Or season, flour, egg wash, then coat with crushed vanilla waffers. (Real talk. Real good!!!) fry in butter. they will be gone as fast as you can fry them.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking