Switch to full site
What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.
Post a reply

Best wild game?

Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:40 am

I'd have to say mine is either quail or venison. Whats yours and how do you prepare it?

Re: Best wild game?

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:19 am

Hands down IMO Sandhill Crane. Breasted out, lightly seasoned and grilled up on the outdoor grill...........mmmmmm :thumbsup:

Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:31 am

Axis deer

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:34 am

don novicki wrote:Hands down IMO Sandhill Crane.

heard this, but never had it; i got to go with sheep.

Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Pheasant is tough to beat.. unless its maybe a freash venison backstrap.

Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:37 pm

Way too difficult for me to pick one. Hossenfeffer, pan-fried turtle, crawdads, grilled bluegills/flatheads, duck/goose schnitzel, venison back-straps...

Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:42 pm

Dove..... tiny but tasty :thumbsup:

Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:11 am

Elk backstraps cant be beat, pan seared with a nothing but a coating of fresh cracked black pepper and Sea Salt

Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:28 pm

Ruffed Grouse is the best chicken you will ever taste. I do like Caribou from the tundra. I do enjoy a good moose steak as well (especially from a calf moose)

Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:14 pm

ruffed grouse

Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:57 pm

don novicki wrote:Hands down IMO Sandhill Crane. Breasted out, lightly seasoned and grilled up on the outdoor grill...........mmmmmm :thumbsup:

another one for sandhill crane. But I like mine Sous Vide @135*for 1.5 hours, then pull them out, coat with bacon fat and sear on a blazing hot grill for 45 ~60 seconds per side.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:57 pm

pheasant,bison,froglegs,and I know you'll say NO WAY but possum.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:01 pm

Sous Vide Sandhill Crane Breast. Nothing even comes in a close second to this....

Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:20 am

alanwebfoot wrote:pheasant,bison,froglegs,and I know you'll say NO WAY but possum.

Are you serious Clark??? How do you cook it? Most wretched animal on 4 legs IMHO.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:42 pm

alanwebfoot here not Clark anyway I put it in a crock pot with 1 whole apple cut up,when done ;[this a small one] It was cut up like a squirrel then rolled in flour and fried like chicken ,which is another ''wretched animal. watch one in a cow feedlot.Hogs are nasty too,squirrels are tree rats,geese are called flying carp,catfish eat disgusting stink bait. So possum are in good company.
Last edited by alanwebfoot on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:16 pm

Quail and Ruffed Grouse for birds, elk for 4 legged game......

Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:53 am

I think dove are the best thing going with feathers, four legs I really only shoot deer so I guess venison.

Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:05 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Elk backstraps cant be beat, pan seared with a nothing but a coating of fresh cracked black pepper and Sea Salt

X2 for elk!

Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:32 pm

Rabbit,rabbit & rabbit in that order. Then Pheasant and grouse.

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:09 pm

Big_water wrote:ruffed grouse

X100!

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:11 pm

MNGunner wrote:
Big_water wrote:ruffed grouse

X100!

Yup. Nothing tops ruffed grouse from early in the year

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:18 pm

squirrel for me

Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:34 pm

I would have to say muskox is number 1 then fallowed by caribou then moose. All three of they are amazing and if you are able to try any of them out it is a must. Elk is close behind also then I love my ducks rapped in bacon.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:05 am

I've heard mountain lion is the absolute best wild game you will ever have. But i have never personally tried it so i cannot attest to that. I'd have to go with Elk tenderloins, the evening after the hunt.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Snappin turtles.
Cow-a-bunga.
Post a reply