Best wild game?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Re: Best wild game?

Postby Fowel language » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:47 pm

Boocephus wrote:Dove..... tiny but tasty :thumbsup:

^^^^ x2
Fowel language
hunter

Postby The Pas Swamp Donkey » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:05 pm

I assume the mountain lion thing was in response to the musk ox/caribou post. Until you have tasted caribou, which eat nothing but lichen and a little grass and flowers, is just awesome. A young calf moose is among the best tasting large animals as well.

Here is a great northern meal Manitoba surf and turf...........fresh walleye and moose loin steaks.....

A GOOD PLUMBER DOESN'T BLAME HIS TOOLS
The Pas Swamp Donkey
hunter

Postby Red Dog Wrecking Crew » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:04 pm

The Pas Swamp Donkey wrote:I assume the mountain lion thing was in response to the musk ox/caribou post. Until you have tasted caribou, which eat nothing but lichen and a little grass and flowers, is just awesome. A young calf moose is among the best tasting large animals as well.

Here is a great northern meal Manitoba surf and turf...........fresh walleye and moose loin steaks.....

You win.
:bow:
Mr. Barge
Red Dog Wrecking Crew
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:59 am

A good young Kenai Moose that's never been in rut will make you want to throw rocks at most cuts of beef ( The very best cuts of Filet Mignon might be considered close by particularly finicky women).

But a good Dall Sheep Ram will make you want to throw rocks at the best Moose that ever breathed.
I don't think that Dall sheep can rightly be considered in the same thought patterns as other meats. It is that good to those "Who Know"
Wild sheep are not mutton, they have hair, not wool, and I believe I read where they are close members of the Antelope family?
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Red Dog Wrecking Crew » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:35 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote: I believe I read where they are close members of the Antelope family?

Not African antelope. DISTANT cousins of pronghorn. Pronghorn antelope, however, have a unique taxonomy.
They were first called "antelope" by pioneers, even though genetics later determined that they were not closely related. Not at all. By that time, however, the term "antelope" was prevalent and their family was named Antilocapridae by taxonomists of the time. So pronghorn are antelope that aren't really antelope. Clear as mud, right? They are closely related to giraffes, believe it or not. Dall sheep however.... without looking it up I have no idea what they are closely related too.
Mr. Barge
Red Dog Wrecking Crew
hunter

Postby Duckinsam » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:06 pm

Axis deer, blackbuck, audad, and nilgai are all amazing... And funny thing are all free roaming somewhere in Texas thanks to some helpful idiots that brought them over here
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure
Duckinsam
hunter

Postby Jcochran88 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Pronghorn are delicious natural sage flavor.
Jcochran88
hunter

Postby CamoDux » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:35 am

DEER BACKSTRAP HANDS DOWN
CamoDux
hunter

Postby Northcoast » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:14 am

Walleye or sunfish are about a tie for me both beer battered and deep fried!....if we ain't counting fish then I would have to probably go with deep fried wild turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northcoast
hunter

Postby webfettish » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:46 am

Fin and Feather, Leatherback seaturtle soup and stuffed bald eagle breast.

But really, venison steaks in a beer bath with a bit of soy sauce, chopped onions, minced garlic, crushed red pepper, and a half stick of butter covered in foil in the oven. Meat falls apart and melts in your mouth. Haven't had it in while but that should change this year. Haven't been able to deer hunt in three years. Finally got our old land back.
webfettish
hunter

Postby oskar » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:35 pm

Rabbits or Muskrats stewed with onions and served with dumplings and peppered sweet/sour red cabbage .

Fried Beaver liver and onions, fried sweet potatoes w/dice bell pepers, and buttered young cattail shoots or asparagus.

Baked Boneless northern pike fillets dusted with lemonpeper or paprika (5'lb fish or bigger no hammer handle fillets), steamed potatoes with browned butter for the fish and potatoes, and again peppered sweat/sour red cabbage.

Diced game bird livers, hearts and gizzards sauted in butter with equal amount of diced onion(salt and pepper to taste) served on toasted rye bread points.
Shoot the duçks you KNOW you can kill, pass on the ones you THINK you can kill.
oskar
hunter

Postby billybob123 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:06 pm

Fried catfish, shrimp just about any way, then a tie between oysters and raccoon
billybob123
hunter

Postby deerhuntin24 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:46 am

Never would've thought it, but the heart out of a deer is BY FAR the best piece of meat I've ever had from a game animal. Butterflied, marinated overnight and seared in a cast iron skillet at high heat.
deerhuntin24
hunter

Postby Meat Eater » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:44 pm

Bacon wrapped pheasant was delicious!
Meat Eater
hunter

Postby cheesy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:31 pm

I'd give about anything to go back to my childhood eating quail breast filets fried up in seasobed flour until I was full. We get a few now still, but nothing like30 years ago.

I've had deer, elk, antelope, pheasant, ducks, and likely a few others, all good if prepared well, but quail for the win. Chukar are a close second.
cheesy
hunter

Postby ITHACA FLUES » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:04 pm

4Legged beaver. cook like a good roast beef with onions and butter at 325 degrees.....
ruffed grouse breasts..
living on vancouver island,we have the worlds largest population of cougar/lion. sausages and chops are very good......had a friend from Australia over a couple years ago and he enjoyed and ate ALL my cougar sausage.( But again ,he LOVES kangaroo) We make pepperoni sausage from high alpine black bear every 2 years. sausage as well.
being originally from northern Quebec, there were fair amount of CARIBOU... i find it about the most UNedible wild game/////hungry and ''roasted over an open fire,it works.... i rank it with ''alligator nuggets''.
moose and elk with a glass (Or bottle) of MERLOT works for me...... i'm old so ya never know when your LAST MEAL REALLY is the last !!!!! Like movies, shotguns,outboard motors, its all a matter of personal taste........ if u shoot it, eat it. imho. :beer:
I can't be out of shells,AGAIN !!!
ITHACA FLUES
hunter

Postby Alaska_Skeeter » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:34 am

My favorite is blue grouse.
Huge white meat game birds that live in awesome high alpine country.
When I lived in Utah and Idaho I would typically not shoot at ruffed grouse
as I climbed up to the ridge tops to shoot blues.

Dall sheep would be my second choice.
Sitka blacktailed deer my third choice.
Alaska_Skeeter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:03 am

45~50 lb. wild pig on the pit whole ain't to shabby either..... :yes:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Phytoplankton » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:46 pm

Birds: Black Brant, hands down!

Mammals, I like Elk.
Phytoplankton
hunter

Postby MeatBuck » Wed May 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Blacktail deer backstrap and tenderloins.
Pheasant legs/thighs
Crappie
Abalone
MeatBuck
hunter

Postby Shamrock7326 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:26 am

I love Axis, reindeer, all very tender. But the winner for me is...........fried frog legs served with an ice cold beer
Shamrock7326
hunter

Postby Soggy Socks » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:17 am

Meat Buck Interesting pheasant legs and thighs. I use em too hate to waste them although not my favorite, I usually slow cook them to tender then bread and pan fry them. What do you do with them
Soggy Socks
hunter

Previous

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking