Great Goldeneye Sausage Recipe

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Great Goldeneye Sausage Recipe

Postby ozzie » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:59 am

I love hunting Goldeneye. I think they're some of the most fun birds to decoy and shoot - but man are they tough to eat. As a hunter, I've become conditioned to eating what I shoot, and can (or make myself) manage to eat anything. But I've got a wife and two kids who are 8 and 10. They're not often appreciative of the pile of ducks I bring home, particularly if they're Goldeneye. I was starting to feel that I couldn't ethically go out and shoot these birds if I didn't have a way to eat and enjoy them. After several years of trial and error, I've got three things I do with Goldeneye that render them welcomed table fare for my entire family. Just one of them is what I'd consider 'perfect' and fit for print. This is a sausage recipe that my kids absolutely love. Great with kraut, or put into your favorite lentil/sausage soup, or cut/grilled and put on a hoagie with grilled peppers and cheese. Soaking out the 'gamey-ness' is critical. If you don't follow step 1, you'll have something along the lines of liver, seaweed, and catfish sausage. The cure ingredients are not technically needed as this recipe is for a cooked sausage. But without them, the end product is a grey color and grainy texture. With them, you get the nice color you're used to from store-bought sausage and a nice emulsified texture that holds up well when sliced and grilled or sautéed to put in an omelet, etc. Also, it is best to cook before vacuum packing and freezing this big batch for storage. The raw fat in sausage can oxidize and produce off flavors when cooked later, even when vacuum packed. I recently saw a blind taste test of sausages on 'America's Test Kitchen' and a pre-cooked Jimmy Dean sausage won, even over all the fresh sausages. They explained that this was because of the oxidization that can quickly happen with fresh sausages and their raw fats.

So here it is....your license to shoot as many Goldeneye as you want. The more of this stuff you put away in the freezer, the better. (As a note - for me, 3 lbs of Goldeneye breasts is between 11 and 12 birds)

Meat Blend
3 lb Ground Duck, 1lb Ground Pork, 1 lb Ground Pork Fat
Seasonings
5 tsp Salt, 1 Tbsp Sugar, 2 tsp Black Pepper, 3 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp ground clove, 1 tsp fennel seed, 1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes, 1/3 Cup Dried Marjoram, 1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries, 3 tsp liquid smoke
Cure
1 tsp Cure #1, 2 tsp Sausage Phosphates (often labeled Sodium Tripolyphosphate)

1) Grind all meats/fat using medium plate on grinder. Duck should have been cut into 1 inch cubes, and soaked in a weak brine for 24 hours, then in clean water for 2 more days, changing water as it turns color. Meat should all have turned from a deep purple to pale pink/grey. (Note – meat/fat grinds best when partially frozen for 30 minutes)
2) Place all powdered seasonings and cure ingredients except the red pepper flakes, marjoram, and liquid smoke, into a food processor and pulse until well combined and the cranberries are diced very small. (about the size of the dried marjoram and chili flakes)
3) Combine seasoning mix with the meat and remaining three seasonings and mix well.
4) Stuff into hog casings. Allow to dry for an hour, then gently poach in water until fully cooked. Divide sausages and vacuum pack/freeze.
ozzie
Newb

Re: Great Goldeneye Sausage Recipe

Postby PNWGator » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:06 pm

Your recipe looks great and worth a try. Appreciate you sharing!
PNWGator
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking