Merganser jerky

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Merganser jerky

Postby Jakesunde » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:38 pm

Anyone every make any jerky out of common merganser and how was it ?
Jakesunde
Newb

Re: Merganser jerky

Postby grizz18 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:56 am

Most dogs won't eat it.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:30 pm

I grind my mergs for sausage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.

My friends call me Joe, because that's my name.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Jakesunde » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:45 pm

Does it have a fishy/game my taste? I never shot many and I have shot a few this year and don't know what to do with them.
Jakesunde
Newb

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:32 pm

Jakesunde wrote:Does it have a fishy/game my taste? I never shot many and I have shot a few this year and don't know what to do with them.

I add them with my scaup and hooded mergansers. Make breakfast sausage. You can hide the taste with the seasonings and it's not bad at all. Indaswamp has a recipe on here that I follow.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:26 am

Biggest key is to remove ALL the fat off the birds! And the breakfast sausage recipe is 40% watefowl/60% pork. When the waterfowl is ground fine and mixed throughout, it makes a great sausage.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby bojac » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:09 pm

I made Merg jerky last yr. First and last time. I usually use mallard and goose. And it is good.
I ground up and seasoned 5lbs of Merg breasts and threw it in the dehydrator. I took a bag of the jerky duck hunting with a coupla friends. I guess I should of tried it before taking any. I almost got thrown out of my own boat! Merg isn't just fishy tasting,it is rotten fish tasting! And the taste stays with ya awhile. Oh ya, I should of guessed from the aroma coming from the dehydrator.
bojac
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:47 pm

bojac wrote:I made Merg jerky last yr. First and last time. I usually use mallard and goose. And it is good.
I ground up and seasoned 5lbs of Merg breasts and threw it in the dehydrator. I took a bag of the jerky duck hunting with a coupla friends. I guess I should of tried it before taking any. I almost got thrown out of my own boat! Merg isn't just fishy tasting,it is rotten fish tasting! And the taste stays with ya awhile. Oh ya, I should of guessed from the aroma coming from the dehydrator.

only way to eat mergs is to par boil them for about 2 hours to remove the fat. drain, then use in a chili or stew.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:00 am

Indaswamp wrote:
bojac wrote:I made Merg jerky last yr. First and last time. I usually use mallard and goose. And it is good.

only way to eat mergs is to par boil them for about 2 hours to remove the fat. drain, then use in a chili or stew.

That's why I don't shoot em haha
We're right, they're wrong, and they're idiots!
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:29 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:I grind my mergs for sausage

After extensive research I have concluded that "sausage" is code talk for "fertilizer".... :thumbsup:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:30 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

right, but you'd have to sell your house after doing that because the stench would never leave....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

right, but you'd have to sell your house after doing that because the stench would never leave....

Who said anything about boiling them inside?

:sarcmark:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:23 pm

Slack Tide wrote:

After extensive research I have concluded that "sausage" is code talk for "fertilizer".... :thumbsup:

No lie, it turned out good for my first go around and made enough to last through summer. Made for good breakfast.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:44 am

tmclaimerFL wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:

No lie, it turned out good for my first go around and made enough to last through summer. Made for good breakfast.

Rainbow farts??
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby jeffro9023 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:47 pm

Man, I have never attempted to eat mergys, only shoot a few a season, save the fish philosophy. I cannot get myself to even attempt a go at it from all the negative responses towards it. But there sure is a curiosity string that gets pulled just to really see what would happen...Kinda like the courtesy sniff lol
jeffro9023
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:00 pm

jeffro9023 wrote:Man, I have never attempted to eat mergys, only shoot a few a season, save the fish philosophy. I cannot get myself to even attempt a go at it from all the negative responses towards it. But there sure is a curiosity string that gets pulled just to really see what would happen...Kinda like the courtesy sniff lol

You really should just once to know for yourself, but it'll be your last
Team Duckie Murder
goldfish
hunter

Postby DA6536 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:17 pm

I made Merganser jerky with Jalapeno in it and it was awesome
DA6536
Newb

Postby Soggy Socks » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:50 am

Buddy of mine brought some duck snack sticks to the blind. Turned out they were made from mergs took half a themos of coffee gargling to get the taste out of my mouth. N.y. f&w says you're not supposed to eat them high in contaminants
Soggy Socks
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:38 am

DA6536 wrote:I made Merganser jerky with Jalapeno in it and it was awesome

No you didn't, no it wasn't..... :no:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby DA6536 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:23 am

Slack Tide wrote:
DA6536 wrote:I made Merganser jerky with Jalapeno in it and it was awesome

No you didn't, no it wasn't..... :no:

HAHAHA you guys just picky eaters that's all hahahaha
DA6536
Newb

Postby UmatillaJeff » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:07 pm

My boat has never been fast enough to catch up with one and my dog wont pick one up.
Nemo me impune lacessit
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby Jarvis » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:17 am

Ish!
Jarvis
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking