duck cleaning question

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

duck cleaning question

Postby fowl_dreams08 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:33 am

So I've been duck hunting for a few years now, I've always just breasted my birds out and eaten breasts. My girlfriend wants to try roasting a few whole ducks this year. So yesterday I went out and shot a couple drake gadwall and bull sprig soo I have plucked the whole birds, removed wings, legs, head, and gizzards. But there are still all these small little white "hairs" across the bird. Any tips to removing those? Do I just burn them off or???
fowl_dreams08
hunter

Re: duck cleaning question

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:26 pm

Blow torch to burn works best I've found. Also can use a piece of duct tape and lightly dab at the skin and it will pull a lot of them off. Don't press firmly with the tape or it will pull the skin off with it, or leave a lot of the adhesive residue. Just some light blotting. Works in a pinch if you don't have the blowtorch. Others will more knowledge than me will surely chime in to help also.
We're right, they're wrong, and they're idiots!
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:32 pm

I've heard people using some type of wax to clean their birds as well. I've never done it. I don't shoot enough puddle ducks to pluck birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.

My friends call me Joe, because that's my name.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:36 pm

just burn it off with propane-either a torch or like we do at the camp use the camp stove. Not too close to the fire, and keep the bird moving so you do not bubble the skin.

....and do NOT forget to remove the kidneys and the oil gland on the tail bone!!!!!!!!!!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby motor-vater » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:35 pm

I save up a few then give them a decent plucking, at the same time I am boiling water in a turkey deep fryer with about 2 lbs of paraffin wax melting in it. when its all melted I dip the duck, then toss it in an ice chest full of ice water, when the wax hardens you peel it like an Orange.. End result is ducks as smooth as a babies arse! Then clean the inereds out and you have a restaurant quality duck for roasting.. Last year I took some ground venison sausage I had left over and pan fried it, removed it from the pan added diced apples, wine and cinnamon tell the apples were soft, added in some bread crumbs and added back the venison. I stuff the ducks with that and tossed them in the smoker.. Needless to say I turned an entire superbowl party of liberal douche bags into hardcore duck and venison lovers.. I did 6 teal, 2 mallard and a Canvas back... Everybody has been RSVPing to this years party... LOL
motor-vater
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:40 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:I've heard people using some type of wax to clean their birds as well. I've never done it. I don't shoot enough puddle ducks to pluck birds.

To get store quality clean skinned bird melted paraffin works great, but is a pain in the Azz to use. Just pluck, singe and clean.

I pluck the breast and legs, then singe, then filet the breasts with the skin on, same for the legs. Rub both with coffee meat rub.

Breasts cannot be cooked past medium (medium rare is better). Legs can be sautéed or crock potted & deboned for gumbo or enchiladas.
"Chill Dude, these guys think the public pool and playground are communist plots"s - BBD2
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
Republicans take care of big money, for big money takes care of them ~ Will Rogers
E PLURIBUS UNUM
dudejcb
hunter

Postby SmallGameFun65x » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:11 am

motor-vater wrote:I save up a few then give them a decent plucking, at the same time I am boiling water in a turkey deep fryer with about 2 lbs of paraffin wax melting in it. when its all melted I dip the duck, then toss it in an ice chest full of ice water, when the wax hardens you peel it like an Orange.. End result is ducks as smooth as a babies arse! Then clean the inereds out and you have a restaurant quality duck for roasting.. Last year I took some ground venison sausage I had left over and pan fried it, removed it from the pan added diced apples, wine and cinnamon tell the apples were soft, added in some bread crumbs and added back the venison. I stuff the ducks with that and tossed them in the smoker.. Needless to say I turned an entire superbowl party of liberal douche bags into hardcore duck and venison lovers.. I did 6 teal, 2 mallard and a Canvas back... Everybody has been RSVPing to this years party... LOL

That's awesome, thanks for sharing my friend. I'm definitely going to try this method :beer:
SmallGameFun65x
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:48 pm

dudejcb wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:I've heard people using some type of wax to clean their birds as well. I've never done it. I don't shoot enough puddle ducks to pluck birds.

To get store quality clean skinned bird melted paraffin works great, but is a pain in the Azz to use. Just pluck, singe and clean.

I pluck the breast and legs, then singe, then filet the breasts with the skin on, same for the legs. Rub both with coffee meat rub.

Breasts cannot be cooked past medium (medium rare is better). Legs can be sautéed or crock potted & deboned for gumbo or enchiladas.
you can't get a cleaner bird than waxed but taking the time to melt it is what takes so long ,,2 dips let cool completely ,one pull on a leg to break the wax and it goes smooth ,also a great fire starter afterwards
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby motor-vater » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:56 pm

Thats why I save up a few birds before doing it. It only woth the effort if your gunna do 10 to 15 birds..
motor-vater
hunter

Postby Rice Hunter » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:09 pm

motor-vater wrote:I save up a few then give them a decent plucking, at the same time I am boiling water in a turkey deep fryer with about 2 lbs of paraffin wax melting in it. when its all melted I dip the duck, then toss it in an ice chest full of ice water, when the wax hardens you peel it like an Orange.. End result is ducks as smooth as a babies arse! Then clean the inereds out and you have a restaurant quality duck for roasting.. Last year I took some ground venison sausage I had left over and pan fried it, removed it from the pan added diced apples, wine and cinnamon tell the apples were soft, added in some bread crumbs and added back the venison. I stuff the ducks with that and tossed them in the smoker.. Needless to say I turned an entire superbowl party of liberal douche bags into hardcore duck and venison lovers.. I did 6 teal, 2 mallard and a Canvas back... Everybody has been RSVPing to this years party... LOL

The liberal douche bag comment has me howling.
Rice Hunter
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:49 am

Rice Hunter wrote:

The liberal douche bag comment has me howling.
they won't be if they read this!!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby UmatillaJeff » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:15 pm

alanwebfoot wrote:
dudejcb wrote:

you can't get a cleaner bird than waxed but taking the time to melt it is what takes so long ,,2 dips let cool completely ,one pull on a leg to break the wax and it goes smooth ,also a great fire starter afterwards

also a great fire starter afterwards[/quote Are you talking about using the feathers stuck to the wax as a fire starter? I would think that would smell horrible?
Nemo me impune lacessit
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking