Freezing ducks

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Freezing ducks

Postby Fullchoke132 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:27 pm

I was wondering what the preferred way to freeze your birds is? I have a vac sealer and used it last year. It the one I have left looks like it might have a little burn on it (was a whole bird, not just breasts). Do you guys forgo vac sealing whole birds and just do the block of ice deal?
Fullchoke132
hunter

Re: Freezing ducks

Postby Smith » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:22 pm

Unless I'm planning to eat them soon, I put ducks into a ziplock freezer bag and add enough water to cover them completely. So yeah, the block of ice deal. Nearly all my ducks get breasted though.
Smith
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:42 am

Breast them and take the legs and freeze them in a ziploc full of water. I have never had a freezer burn issue when freezing them in water, however I seem to always have issues when I have vac sealed them. Maybe if you had a top dollar industrial vac sealer it would seal better, but the cheap-o ones don't do well.
agengo02
hunter

Postby Fullchoke132 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:57 pm

Yeah I usually like to just breast them and if they're big ducks i'll take the legs. But sometimes my wife wants me to pick them so she can do a roast or something different.

I don't have much problem vac sealing the breasts and legs, I just have a simple one from cabelas but it works well. So long as no liquid gets under where it's going to seal.
Fullchoke132
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking