Smokies

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Smokies

Postby ducksmoke » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:00 pm

We always make smokies by cold smoking them but I'd like to make some cooked ones but do not no how long or what temperature to cook them at. I have an electric smoker I was wondering if I could do it in that. Any help would be appreciated
ducksmoke
hunter

Re: Smokies

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:37 am

Are these the small dia. little sausages you speak of? Little smokies? If so, I assume they are 1/2"~3/4" in dia.

You need to smoke @ 180*...no hotter or the fat will melt out. insert a digital meat thermometer probe into one of the links and cook to internal temp of 155* and hold there for at least 12 minutes (hold time ensures pathogens are killed.) then pull the links from the smoker to cool. Package and freeze or serve immediately, or refrigerate. Links will keep in frig for 1 week.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:40 am

Forgot to add-
Your electric smoker will work fine, but use a digital thermometer to keep the temp, do not rely on the bi-metal dial thermometer that came with the smoker, it SUCKS and can be off by as much as 15~20 degrees, which is HUGE when smoking sausages!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby IR1SH » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:35 pm

You can add a little liquid smoke, and then flash cook them...

Lower the sausages into 170F hot water until internal temp reaches 160, remove from the water and place in Ice water for the equal amount of time it took to bring to 160F. Remove, hang to dry and cool until the reach room temp.
IR1SH
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking