Switch to full site
What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.
Post a reply

Indaswamp's Cajun Smoke Sausage Recipe

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:03 pm

As most of you know, I recently build a new 36cu.ft. smoker. I have been making my own smoke sausage for years but I have finally tweeked my recipe down to were I like it. Here it is...

DSC02258.JPG

25# boston butt rough cut into about 1" chunks.

6 level TBSPS sea salt (non-iodized)
5 level tsps. cure #1
2.5 TBSPS Black pepper
3 TBSPS Cayenne pepper
2.5 TBSPS Accent (Monosodium Glutamate)
1.5 TBSPS granulated garlic
1.5 TBSPS granulated onion
1 TBSPS Paprika
1 TBSP dark brown sugar
1.5 tsp. dry mustard powder
.5 tsp ground corriander
.5 tsp gumbo file powder (ground dried sassafrass leaves) *optional-gives it a fruity root beer note and melds with the smoke nicely

5 cups dry milk powder
2.5 cups very, very cold ice water

1. Soak casing for about 25 minutes.
2.-Chill cubed meat and fat in freezer until semi-frozen along with grinder neck assembly. Chill meat to below 34* to get a clean cut on the fat. Fill a 2 qt. pitcher 1/3 with ice then top with cold water and stir, set aside.
3. While meat is chilling, clean up your work space. then measure out cure into a small 2 cup glass bowl and set aside. Measure out all seasonings into one 2 qt. bowl and mix well, set aside. Measure out dry milk powder into a 2 qt. steel bowl, set aside. Flush natural sausage casing with water and rinse thoroughly flushing each piece with water, set aside in a bowl of water for stuffing.
4. Into a 25# plastic tub, grind meat through course plate into 3/8~1/2" chunks, then change grinder plates to 6mm or 1/4 inch plate. Grind meat again into another 25# tub.
5. Pour out 1 cup of ice water into a 2 cup measuring cup then add the cure to the water. Stir very thoroughly. Poke holes into the grind with your gloved hand, then pour the ice cold cure water over the meat, mix in kneading the meat a few times. Add 4 cups of ice water to the seasoning mix and stir well. Pour this evenly onto meat. Add dry milk powder spreading evenly. Mix the sausage very well for about 2~3 minutes with either a wood spoon, plastic spatula, or gloved hands until the mix becomes sticky and tacky-very important step for the sausage to bind properly! put grind in frige while you prep the stuffer.(I do not recommend using a stuffer neck on the grinder for this reason. You will get much better results with smoked sausage using a stuffer and properly mixing the grind. )
6. Stuff sausage into casing to make coils, leaving 4" of casing on either end. Once the casing is stuffed, twist the sausage into 6~8" links. Place finished links into a 25# plastic tote and refrigerate. Let sit in frig. for 12~24 hours to allow the salt and cure to distribute evenly and let the seasonings meld into the meat. This also helps the sausage binder (milk powder) to form gels between the voids in the meat which will hold onto the moisture as the links smoke.

7. After 12~24 hours, prep and pre- heat smoker. Bring up to 90~100* then load sausage into smoker to dry for 30 minutes. Insert temp probe into largest link and set probe alarm for 154*. Add wood chips to smoker and raise heat to 120* and smoke for 2~3 hours until internal temp. of sausage reaches 100*. Raise heat 10* every hour until you reach 160~170*. Raise heat to 170* and smoke until internal temp reaches 154* and hold it there for 12 minutes. Do not let heat go above 180* or you risk fat out and will end up with dry sausages.

8. Pull links to cool and then place in cool water bath until links are room temp. (helps prevent shrinkage and wrinkles; sets the color)

package and freeze.

Wood- I like both hickory and pecan, but you can use any wood you like.

Re: Indaswamp's Cajun Smoke Sausage Recipe

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:12 pm

You could sub goose or duck for 40~60% of the pork. But you would need to add enough pork fat to keep the 20% ratio and not go over 25 lbs. You would have to do the math. You can add more than 20% fat, but you can not add less. Otherwise it is not sausage by definition, it is meat loaf. Sausage needs fat. You can go as high as 50% fat.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:19 pm

tip:
open the casing with your fingers and dip it into the bowl of water so that you have about 1~2 tsps. of water in the casing. Place the open end you are working with onto the stuffer horn. Hold casing onto the horn, then pull up on the opposite end of the casing so the water runs down to the stuffer neck inside the casing. The water will help the casing slide very easily onto the stuffer neck. I place a wide shallow pan under the neck to catch the excess water and the sausage coils. I leave a little water in the pan so the coil spins freely and does not stick to the pan.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:57 pm

Got a 12.5# batch going on the smoker tomorrow night along with 30# of andouille. Gotta have dat to make de gumbos this winter.

Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:33 am

Bump for the guys @ the No-Coast hunt....

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:15 pm

Thanks for another great recipe and all the tips. Nice build by the way. The inside looks like copper . . . or that just a reflection?
I was in Oregon last week where my son and I cold smoked and froze about thirty pounds of Black Bear. The brighter red sausages are spicy and the lighter colored ones are like a farm sausage recipe he dreamed up. He has a Green Mountain Grill but he's already on his way to building a proper smoker.
IMG_20191127_142209.jpg

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:09 pm

I lined the inside of the smokehouse with aluminum flashing. It looks copper from the smoke that stuck to it from the first 4~5 cooks in it. The walls are black as coal now....

Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:30 pm

Thanks for the bump, Swamp! This recipe made some of the best geese I’ve ever had!

Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:52 pm

I'm going to have to try this may sub some pork for deer thanks.

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:18 pm

It's a really good recipe. Just made 85# of venison and wild hog smoke sausage this past Saturday as part of our annual deer and wild hog processing day. We made 461# of finished product, 12 deer and 3 wild hogs.

1582589935597.jpeg

1582752457097.jpeg

1582752354962.jpeg

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:04 pm

Swamp, man that sure looks tasty. How soon are you coming up to shoot a turkey

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:51 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Swamp, man that sure looks tasty. How soon are you coming up to shoot a turkey

Not sure yet Cluck...

Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:11 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:Swamp, man that sure looks tasty. How soon are you coming up to shoot a turkey

Not sure yet Cluck...

K, let me know before you come up. The wife was asking me about her request LOL
Post a reply