Gluten free batter

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Gluten free batter

Postby macdaddy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:30 am

OK, here goes. Can't wait for the bustin.'

Gents, I need a gluten free batter that has corn flour as a near & dear one needs gluten free - and I have goose & pheasant breasts that need to be fried.

Any recipes? Or do I have to do this alone, trial & error? My Cajun friends - you helped me with gumbo. Have any gluten free corn batter recipes?
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Re: Gluten free batter

Postby Rice Hunter » Tue May 22, 2018 2:04 pm

I recently had a fish batter made with almond flour and it was amazing. Low carb and no gluten.
Rice Hunter
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Wed May 23, 2018 5:34 am

Rice Hunter wrote:I recently had a fish batter made with almond flour and it was amazing. Low carb and no gluten.

Thanks Rice. Almond? I’ll have to try that, see what she thinks.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby walnuts4x4 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:37 pm

I believe coconut flour also is gluten free... I use both a lot when I am on my keto diet
walnuts4x4
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Thu May 24, 2018 8:48 am

walnuts4x4 wrote:I believe coconut flour also is gluten free... I use both a lot when I am on my keto diet

You know, Walnuts, you’re right. The wife (just married a week ago) has mentioned coconut flour. She also loves all things coconut. And coconut is good for her. Thank you. I will try that too.

Keto diet - she wants to get us on that. Game meat is perfect.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby Nocalhonker » Thu May 24, 2018 2:13 pm

Is it because of a dietary life style choice or does she celiac disease.
Nocalhonker
hunter

Postby walnuts4x4 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:34 pm

macdaddy wrote:
walnuts4x4 wrote:I believe coconut flour also is gluten free... I use both a lot when I am on my keto diet

You know, Walnuts, you’re right. The wife (just married a week ago) has mentioned coconut flour. She also loves all things coconut. And coconut is good for her. Thank you. I will try that too.

Don't know how much keto you guys follow but some good things that helped me was the book "bacon and butter" cook book and if you have Instagram there are tons of people that do it.. ..
walnuts4x4
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Fri May 25, 2018 12:14 am

Nocalhonker wrote:Is it because of a dietary life style choice or does she celiac disease.

She does have celiac, Nocal.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Fri May 25, 2018 12:21 am

walnuts4x4 wrote:
macdaddy wrote:

Don't know how much keto you guys follow but some good things that helped me was the book "bacon and butter" cook book and if you have Instagram there are tons of people that do it.. ..

More thanks are due, Walnuts. I will look for “Bacon and Butter.” Little note: went to the doctor for a physical (for a job to pad the pension) - doctor took me to the woodshed. Now I too have to diet. Years of indulgence and neglect are catching up with this old boy. :no:
macdaddy
hunter

Postby walnuts4x4 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:54 pm

Keto is a lot to digest initially but once you start it's so easy/fun.... And wiskey is allowed since it's carb free and the sugar is almost in an ethanol so body burns it fast...lol... I did it for a while and lost 30-35lbs but have been off it for a while since new job made life crazy.... But wife's been on it steady and has almost hit 60lbs lost...
walnuts4x4
hunter

Postby oldfireguy » Sat May 26, 2018 4:59 am

My wife is gluten intolerant, and we put oatmeal in a blender to make inexpensive flour for waffles. I like it better than regular pancake mix.
Might work well for a coating.
Corn meal is also gluten free.
oldfireguy
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Sat May 26, 2018 7:59 am

oldfireguy wrote:My wife is gluten intolerant, and we put oatmeal in a blender to make inexpensive flour for waffles. I like it better than regular pancake mix.
Might work well for a coating.
Corn meal is also gluten free.

Thanks oldfire, I will try the oatmeal flour also. If it makes better pancakes (if I’m still allowed pancakes). Thanks too for the tip on corn flour.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Sat May 26, 2018 8:01 am

And whiskey is allowed, Walnuts? That is good news! I have quite a bit; a double-barrel aged bourbon awaits me (wedding present).
macdaddy
hunter

Postby walnuts4x4 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:26 am

Far as my reading it was allowed and it didn't seem to effect our ketosis state... And plus side now the wife drinks it too...
walnuts4x4
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Sun May 27, 2018 11:47 am

I got my bride drinking, too, Walnuts. All’s good in that regard!!
macdaddy
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:22 am

There many GF options for using like flour on the counters most every store now or available on line, even fish batter with seasonings, like Louisiana style.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA.
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:26 am

My good wife uses glueten free flour...most supermarkets stock it now,we found the rice flour very gritty and some of the other more natural alternatives were a bit hit n miss. bakals do all the best stuff over here. another option is check basic cook books for cornflour recipes... the edmonds cookbook (on average every home in NZ owns 3 of them) beer batter recipe is a corker.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby continental shooter » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:14 am

Hi,

Missus is severely gluten intolerant (but not diagnosed with coeliac) and Almond, coconut, buckwheat, rice or GF flour will all do

for me was just a matter of error and trial to try and find the one that acts like regular flour for bread making; as well as associating each flour with it's style.

I found Rice is great for coating before frying as it takes out the external moisture and fries golden and crisp; is also good for making potato gnocchi as you need less than regular flour even if your tatties is of a kind that absorb a lot of water.

Coconut is great for sweets or any asian style cooking; almond fits better (for me ) on mediterranean style food

Hope this helps,
continental shooter
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking