Goose snack sticks

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Goose snack sticks

Postby VT_Diver-Junkie » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:24 am

I bought a cheap jerky gun from Bed Bath & Beyond for $20. It came with 2 seasoning packets with cure. You can buy a 6 pack of seasonings as well with the cure included. I had 2 goose breast and ground them in the kitchen aid grinder. I didn’t cut the meat with any beef or pork, just goose, seasoning and cure. Used the gun and made sticks with it all and dehydrated for 4hrs. Came out really good a little under done but it’s goose and cured so it should be safe to eat. Give it a try!
Theres nothing like frostbite and gunpowder in the air!!!!
VT_Diver-Junkie
hunter

Re: Goose snack sticks

Postby BBK » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:36 pm

VT_Diver-Junkie wrote:I bought a cheap jerky gun from Bed Bath & Beyond for $20. It came with 2 seasoning packets with cure. You can buy a 6 pack of seasonings as well with the cure included. I had 2 goose breast and ground them in the kitchen aid grinder. I didn’t cut the meat with any beef or pork, just goose, seasoning and cure. Used the gun and made sticks with it all and dehydrated for 4hrs. Came out really good a little under done but it’s goose and cured so it should be safe to eat. Give it a try!

Might want to rethink that a bit... since you are working with ground meat and cures and a long drying period exposed to air, they still need to hit 160f IMO.

When I make snack sticks (with casings) I cut it 3:1.5 with cheapo pork sausage (makes an 80/20 blend), stock up when it is on sale for $1-1.50/lb. You want the cheapest crappiest stuff you can get, it will be 60%+ fat. You don't want breakfast or italian or anything like that, just regular pork sausage. Or you can get pork butt when on sale, but it is only about 25-30% fat so you will need to use more of it. With the crap pork sausage i do 3lbs goose to 1.5lb sausage and that works good. I suppose if you do uncased rounds or flats on a dehydrator then you probably don't want to add fat. I made them once and didn't really care for it, nothing beats the good ol meat stick in a casing.

I smoke at 140 until done and then bump the temp until the internal temp hits 160-165 and go into an ice bath for 10 minutes IF YOU USE CASINGS. Ice bath will set the casings to the meat and soften them a tad. If you like snack sticks, do yourself a favor and pick up a sausage stuffer and a smoker.. or make one, or use a charcoal grill. It adds tons of great flavor and is much safer.

You don't want to mess with foodborne illness.
BBK
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking