BBQ goose ?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

BBQ goose ?

Postby bigfootbps » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:19 am

Hello all,

I'd like to throw some canadian goose on the BBQ. Just wndering what you guys marinate them in ? Do you have any sauce you prefer to put on them while cooking ?

Thanks
bigfootbps
hunter

Re: BBQ goose ?

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:51 pm

Ive tried them on the grill but much prefer them using this recipe in a crock pot

Canada breasts

About 8 oz of untrimmed pork loin or chops, I think the fat on the pork helps the flavor

Tablespoon pepper, half tablespoon salt

2 minced garlic cloves

1/2 medium onion sliced

4 tablespoons bourbon

Enough apple cider to completely cover the meat

Cook on high for 2 hours, then turn down to low and cook another 6 hours

Remove the meat and pull apart with a fork It will be super tender

Throw the liquid away and either use a new liner bag or wipe out crock pot

Put pulled meat in crock pot and mix in BBQ sauce to your preference of thickness. I used Curleys but any brand will work
I buy it by the gallon

Heat in crock pot on low until its good and hot

I served mine on buns with pan fried potatoes and ranch beans

My grandson doesn't eat anything wild but I told him this was BBQ Beef and he ate three sandwiches before I told him it was goose. Now he cant wait for Grandpa to shoot a goose or two
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby bigfootbps » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:08 am

I agree Cluck in the crock pot its good stuff.

Last time i fried onions with a garlic clove and butter for about 5 minutes on the pan then put the goose meat in maybe 5 mins each side to brown it.

Tossed in the slow cooker filled with chicken broth and a couple table spoons of Worcestershire sauce. Drained it pulled apart too and added bbq sauce and slammed that on a kaiser bun.

I tried some with no bbq sauce and just added mustard and cheese on the sandwich. Also good but the bbq was better.

I've tried roasting a goose and a duck and both times i missed the boat yuck was spongy like liver.

I will have to try your recipe with the apple cider.
bigfootbps
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:41 am

bigfootbps wrote:I agree Cluck in the crock pot its good stuff.

Last time i fried onions with a garlic clove and butter for about 5 minutes on the pan then put the goose meat in maybe 5 mins each side to brown it.

Tossed in the slow cooker filled with chicken broth and a couple table spoons of Worcestershire sauce. Drained it pulled apart too and added bbq sauce and slammed that on a kaiser bun.

I tried some with no bbq sauce and just added mustard and cheese on the sandwich. Also good but the bbq was better.

I've tried roasting a goose and a duck and both times i missed the boat yuck was spongy like liver.

This is my favorite way to fix goose, also make sure the skin is off the breast.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:28 pm

cluckmeister wrote:

This is my favorite way to fix goose, also make sure the skin is off the breast.

I brought up your recipe on another thread recently and the consensus was 8 hours is too much. 6 or 6 1/2 seemed the preference. Might be a Crockpot difference too - mine has 4, 6, 8 and 10 hour settings.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:04 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:

I brought up your recipe on another thread recently and the consensus was 8 hours is too much. 6 or 6 1/2 seemed the preference. Might be a Crockpot difference too - mine has 4, 6, 8 and 10 hour settings.

Yes Id say its the difference in crocks, mine don't even have a 10 hour but its about 15 years old
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking