Prep after freezing, whole birds

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Prep after freezing, whole birds

Postby MolonLabe » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:57 pm

Hey y'all, new poster and new duck hunter here. Got really really into it after getting out of the military and now am obsessed.

I shot a bunch of ducks this year and want to roast them whole, save drippings, make confit, etc. Due to my schedule and a remodel of my house I shot them and promptly put them whole in the deep freezer. I'm planning on scalding and plucking them with one of those fancy drill bit pluckers if you have seen them. Making a day out of it.

Can anyone give me some advice for this? Thaw them in the fridge or in my garage at about 50 degrees F? How long? I also have one goose that I shot on a random landing on my mallard decoys. Any different thoughts?
MolonLabe
Newb

Re: Prep after freezing, whole birds

Postby WallyDuck » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:02 am

I would thaw them fully in fridge, not garage. The reason being that if some of the birds were gut shot, you would want them cooler for bacteria concerns. Pluck ‘em, gut ‘em, wash ‘em up and check their condition. If they have nice fat, and aren’t too shot up in the breast, roasting them is great. If they are skinny on fat, or tore up, I break mine up in pieces for stew or sausage. Or cube them up for chislic/kabobs.

Welcome to the world of waterfowling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WallyDuck
hunter

Re: Prep after freezing, whole birds

Postby WallyDuck » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:02 am

And thank you for your service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WallyDuck
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking