Rendering duck fat

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Rendering duck fat

Postby ManchacsWorst » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:41 pm

Has anyone had any experience using the fat off of a duck for cooking purposes? I'd imagine it would work only for puddlers but I've been wondering how difficult the process might be.
ManchacsWorst
hunter

Re: Rendering duck fat

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:08 pm

It's not hard, just put it in a pot, preferably in a cast iron pot, and fry it low and slow until the duck fat renders. cook it just like bacon.

Only thing is, the fat will only be good if the birds has been feeding good, like in a grain or corn field. If they have been eating fish (yes, even mallards will consume fish) or feeding in a mashy area eating whatever- then the fat may be strong with an off flavor. Even more so for canada geese.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ManchacsWorst » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:40 pm

I'm looking to try it with woodies feeding on acorns. Suppose I'll have to find out for myself whether that will work or not. Thanks!
ManchacsWorst
hunter

Postby hunt_r05348 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:21 pm

The fat will only taste good if the birds have been feeding in a grain field..........Then how do you explain my dads uncle that used to hunt golden meadow area around 1920-1950s and religiously plucked his ducks for the fat? Like when he would take limits of mallards out of golden meadow. Were they heavily in the grain fields in that era? And my dad's uncle was a real duck hunter.
hunt_r05348
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:18 pm

hunt_r05348 wrote:The fat will only taste good if the birds have been feeding in a grain field..........Then how do you explain my dads uncle that used to hunt golden meadow area around 1920-1950s and religiously plucked his ducks for the fat? Like when he would take limits of mallards out of golden meadow. Were they heavily in the grain fields in that era? And my dad's uncle was a real duck hunter.

You misread my post...
the fat will only be good if the birds has been feeding good, like in a grain or corn field.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby hunt_r05348 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:02 pm

You meant that duck fat will only render a good taste if the ducks have been feeding on grain or corn? did you not? The point i was trying to make was that back in the old days, with out as many ag field north of Louisiana, maybe the ducks didn't do as much feeding in ag fields, but still rendered a good taste because my dad's uncle whom could cook a kick ass duck gumbo religiously kept the duck fat.

also, I have never tasted a scaup that i can remember having any bad flavor with skin on. So who is BS ing us?

Peace out,
hunt_r05348
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:49 pm

Ducks migrate...
there have been radio tracking studies done where ducks routinely fly from Venice Louisiana to SWLA to feed in the rice fields, and back to roost in Venice...daily.
Also, ducks can easily travel 1200 miles migrating with a front. And ducks do not fly in one direction during the fall migration, they fly back and forth north to south depending on the weather. If a duck has found a great food source north of Louisiana and bad weather pushes them to fly south, they will. But give them a warm front with southerly winds and they have been shown to fly back to that food source many times throughout the season. Just because you shoot a bird here in Lousiana, do not assume it has been feeding in where you shot it within the last few days.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:51 pm

hunt_r05348 wrote:You meant that duck fat will only render a good taste if the ducks have been feeding on grain or corn? did you not? The point i was trying to make was that back in the old days, with out as many ag field north of Louisiana, maybe the ducks didn't do as much feeding in ag fields, but still rendered a good taste because my dad's uncle whom could cook a kick ass duck gumbo religiously kept the duck fat.

also, I have never tasted a scaup that i can remember having any bad flavor with skin on. So who is BS ing us?

Peace out,

I said a good food source. I gave an example as corn. There are many many food sources that can give a duck good fat, some wild, some agriculture.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ManchacsWorst » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:55 pm

I understand where you're coming from, Inda. I've heard that adding a little water my dilute the strength of the flavor. Do you have any experience with that?
ManchacsWorst
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:38 pm

ManchacsWorst wrote:I understand where you're coming from, Inda. I've heard that adding a little water my dilute the strength of the flavor. Do you have any experience with that?

If you are using wood ducks, you will probably be OK as far as the flavor goes. But to answer your question, I've only ever saved the fat from specklebelly geese.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:05 am

I'll also say this, people's tastes have changed. Wild flavor just is not as prized as it once was. People were more accustomed to eating it back then. This is why pork commercially raised is so bland. Though there have been attempts to breed back in the heritage genes back into commercial stock to improve the flavor. Also, hogs are being selected for less fat to appease those that prefer low fat meats.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby garlicsalt » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:10 pm

Rendered some duck skin down to oil then added hash browns, the crowed went nuts over it.
Google is your friend......Google earth is your Enemy
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby continental shooter » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:35 am

Here where i live i use Pinkfoot and Graylag goose fat all year round.

when i roast them i save the fat and the cooking spices (normally rosemery, garlic and juniper berries with a few orange/lemon peels to flavour it.

Great on all meats whenter bbq'd, roasted or pot stewed

I also save some pure for roasting potatoes (don't like the citursy aftertase on tatties); best golden rost you can get
continental shooter
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:30 am

Just order a jar online. I think you can get some from Amazon even. Way easier and you get good, clear, clean fat.

:beer:
agengo02
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking