Defrosting mistake...is it ruined?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass

Defrosting mistake...is it ruined?

Postby Zabuzaxsta » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:17 am

I store my duck by putting it in ziploc bags, covering with water, then freezing (to avoid freezer burn). Due to a really unfortunate miscommunication, when defrosted, the liquid contents of the bag were not drained. The duck has been sitting in water in the fridge for the past 3 days (with enough salt to be a “half brine” as it were). Is the duck ruined? Will this impact the flavor? Am I worrying about nothing?
Zabuzaxsta
Newb

Re: Defrosting mistake...is it ruined?

Postby handyandy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:08 pm

I'd cook it I usually let my duck breast soak in salt water before I vacuum pack and freeze them anyway.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:12 pm

just drain and rinse them with fresh water pat dry and cook them however you'd like.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:09 am

It's perfectly fine still. :yes: :yes: :yes:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:24 pm

If you are brining the meat, set your refrigerator temp. to 38*. The salt will travel extremely slow below that temperature and almost stop when below about 33*. But to answer your question, leave the ice in and raise the temp. The meat is perfectly fine. Just add some time to the brining to account for the cold temperatures.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking