Duck Hunting Forum banner

Metal detector

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Smith 
#1 ·
Despite my best efforts my goose jerky that I made last year had some shot still in it. I heard some people use a hand held metal detector to find shot in meat. I bought a metal detector used for finding metal located by a larger metal detector which as those used by treasure hunters. This metal detector does not have the sensitivity to detect a single piece of shot. What metal detector can someone here recommend for my use?

#2 ·
I use a small hand-held wand style unit made by Garrett. It is called a "Pro-Pointer AT". Each time I use it I place one pellet on a plate and cover it with the thickest duck breast I will be scanning. Then I swipe over it with the wand to verify it is working. As long as the sensitivity is turned up it finds the pellet every time. Hasn't missed one yet. Like you, I really try to find all the pellets while processing the ducks, but the wand has found enough stray pellets to make me really glad I have the wand. It really works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.