Switch to full site
A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.
Post a reply

Electric longtail?

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:38 pm

Anyone see the new Backwater electric longtail? A very interesting concept, and one that might be popular in certain areas.
Last edited by mudpack on Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Electric longtail?

Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:54 am

What is this mudpack at tease, pictures, link

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:19 am

There's a tiny blurb and photo on their Facebook page.

I've been talking to BW about this for several months and from what Jake says, mine will be ready to ship very shortly.
:biggrin:

Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:43 am

I didn’t see it on their website. More details and price please

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:19 am

I can't find it on their website, either....just on FB.

I'm not sure how many details BW wants disclosed at this point, so I'm not going to say at this time.
I'll email Jake tomorrow and see if he has information he wants made public.

I can tell you this: after speaking with him about this unit, I told him I want the first one and sent him a check. :biggrin:

Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:33 am

Would no be hard to make one. Gulf cart motor,long tail kit done. They do it all the time on sm outboard mid section and gearcase. Biggest bitch is all the batteries weight.

Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:39 pm

I saw it in the latest edition of Waterfowler magazine. How much will it be? A friend of mine has a boat where this could come in handy.

Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:58 am

fowlmouthed wrote:I saw it in the latest edition of Waterfowler magazine. How much will it be? A friend of mine has a boat where this could come in handy.

Projected price is around $3700.
That's without batteries.

They told me they would have a Lihtium-Ion battery pack available soon, but its cost will be considerable.
I'll be using four deep-cycle marine lead-acid batteries.
Yes, the battery's weight (and location) will take some thought. I'll post some pictures when my installation is complete.

Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:04 pm

mudpack wrote:
fowlmouthed wrote:I saw it in the latest edition of Waterfowler magazine. How much will it be? A friend of mine has a boat where this could come in handy.

They told me they would have a Lihtium-Ion battery pack available soon, but its cost will be considerable.
Yes, the battery's weight (and location) will take some thought. I'll post some pictures when my installation is complete.

Right on buddy

Excited to see it

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:35 am

mudpack wrote:

The average weight of a deep cycle battery is 60-70 pounds so now you’re talking an extra 240-280 lbs. that’s equal to 1 extra hunter in the boat. outside of the motor being quieter, where is the advantage? I’m not sure what a regular mud motor weighs but I’ll bet it’s not as much as just the batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:02 am

mudpack wrote:

Yes and Lithium-ion batteries could cost as much as the motor. You got any idea what the voltage is on the motor

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:03 am

Mike the Fox wrote:
mudpack wrote:

The average weight of a deep cycle battery is 60-70 pounds so now you’re talking an extra 240-280 lbs. that’s equal to 1 extra hunter in the boat. outside of the motor being quieter, where is the advantage? I’m not sure what a regular mud motor weighs but I’ll bet it’s not as much as just the batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well if you got the money lithium ion batteries are only 28 pounds. But you're going to pay between 1000 and $2,000 per battery depending on the AH of the battery

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:38 pm

Boatman wrote:Yes and Lithium-ion batteries could cost as much as the motor. You got any idea what the voltage is on the motor

You got that right.
And, it's 48V.

I'm actually considering using four 12v garden tractor batteries. The deep cycle marine batteries I've chosen weigh 60 pound each, the garden tractor battery weighs 18 pounds. That's less than 80 pound verses 240 pounds. BUT, the smaller batteries only have one-fifth the reserve. I'll have to run the rig with both battery setups to see which I prefer.

The reason I'm getting this eTail is because some public areas are "electric motor only", and trolling motors don't always perform well in shallow, weedy, muddy marshes. I predict more and more public areas will have areas designated this way in the future.
Last edited by mudpack on Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:42 am

Boatman wrote:Would no be hard to make one. Gulf cart motor,long tail kit done.

Buying a motor and lontail kit are the easy parts.
Try finding and adapting a controller, then adapting said motor to said kit. You'd better have some machining/welding skills and equipment. Then, figuring out which prop would work best with the motor you chose just adds to the complexity.

Backwater has done the hard parts for us. I looked very hard at building my own electric longtail before finding out about Backwater's unit. It was not going to be simple, even though I have a fabrication shop with welding and machining capabilities.
Believe me, building your own is not the easy project one might think. Not if you want to end up with a reliable unit that performs satisfactorily.
I invite anyone to build their own, then tell us the final cost and give a long-term report on the results. Would be very interesting to compare with Backwater's unit.
Last edited by mudpack on Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:37 am

mudpack wrote:
Boatman wrote:Would no be hard to make one. Gulf cart motor,long tail kit done.

Buying a motor and lontail kit are the easy parts.
Try finding and adapting a controller, then adapting said motor to said kit. You'd better have some machining/welding skills and equipment. Then, figuring out which prop would work best with the motor you chose just adds to the complexity.

Backwater has done the hard parts for you. I looked very hard at building my own electric longtail before finding out about Backwater's unit. It was not going to be simple, even though I have a fabrication shop with welding and machining capabilities.
Believe me, building your own is not the easy project one might think. Not if you want to end up with a reliable unit that performs satisfactorily.
I invite anyone to build their own, then tell us the final cost and give a long-term report on the results. Would be very interesting to compare with Backwater's unit.
The golf cart you rob the motor off of will have a controller with it. We have a ton of trolling motor only lakes in my area and I've seen many guys adapt a 20 horsepower midsection and lower to a golf cart motor works great

Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:46 am

Boatman wrote:The golf cart you rob the motor off of will have a controller with it. We have a ton of trolling motor only lakes in my area and I've seen many guys adapt a 20 horsepower midsection and lower to a golf cart motor works great

I'm sure it works great in clean/deep water. Try putting one in a marsh with 10"-deep, cattail-, bulrush-, and smartweed-choked water. I'm talking about midwest cattail marshes.
We all have our individual situations, and they often require different solutions. Choose your solution wisely.

Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:39 am

Mud I’m glad to see you are working with Backwater, who have produced the best longtails available. I’ve been stuck trying to fit a longtail on my 12’ sneak boat with a motor for the conditions you have described. I have tried using an 55# electric trolling motor with a full sized very heavy battery that has proved to be too heavy. So I’ve been looking at Backwater’s 6.5hp longtails, but you have to contend with the noise. I believe Backwater is the best company to develop an electric longtail.

May I suggest you research a new battery technology, Quantam Glass batteries, that are set to replace all Lithium in use now. They hold a charge for 4-5 X as long, they are very stable ( they will not catch fire or explode ) , and are much cheaper to produce. A Tesla will normally go only go for 200-250 miles per charge, but with Quantum Glass the mileage will increase to over 1000+ miles ! The researcher who developed the Lithium battery technology is very much involved in developing Quantum Glass technology. Any manufacturer of a product that has a motor knows this is a giant advancement in a power supply to run any type of motor. This is game changing technology ! You will not be able to just purchase these, but you might along with Backwater get what you need in a prototype form for developing a market that has never had these abilities of performance. All watercraft will be affected in many ways with an electrical supply so safe and dependable !

Mud, I wish you and Backwater well In your journey to develop a quiet electric longtail and possibly a new battery system that is lighter, with better power, safer , and economical . Chuck :thumbsup:

Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:11 am

Thanks for the informative post, gaducman. I have the eTail ready to drop on the transom. The 4-pak of deep cycle marine batteries is installed in the boat and the 4-pak of garden tractor batteries is mocked-up on a cart.
Right now, I'm trying to decide whether to run the eTail or my old reliable Mudbuddy 13hp longtail for next Saturday's teal opener.

About the Quantum Glass battery. I'd love to learn more about this, but all I can find is information on how to invest in this technology. Nothing about these being on the market yet, or even when they might be available. I'll keep my eyes on this, as it could be the answer to the weight issue with lead-acid batteries and the cost issue with lithium-ion batteries. Time will tell.
Any idea how long until this technology matures and batteries are available to purchase??

I'll let you know how this Backwater electric longtail actually works out in the marsh. It looks really good, especially since I covered it with KW1 camo-cladding.

Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:53 pm

gaducman wrote:Mud I’m glad to see you are working with Backwater, who have produced the best longtails available. I’ve been stuck trying to fit a longtail on my 12’ sneak boat with a motor for the conditions you have described. I have tried using an 55# electric trolling motor with a full sized very heavy battery that has proved to be too heavy. So I’ve been looking at Backwater’s 6.5hp longtails, but you have to contend with the noise. I believe Backwater is the best company to develop an electric longtail.

May I suggest you research a new battery technology, Quantam Glass batteries, that are set to replace all Lithium in use now. They hold a charge for 4-5 X as long, they are very stable ( they will not catch fire or explode ) , and are much cheaper to produce. A Tesla will normally go only go for 200-250 miles per charge, but with Quantum Glass the mileage will increase to over 1000+ miles ! The researcher who developed the Lithium battery technology is very much involved in developing Quantum Glass technology. Any manufacturer of a product that has a motor knows this is a giant advancement in a power supply to run any type of motor. This is game changing technology ! You will not be able to just purchase these, but you might along with Backwater get what you need in a prototype form for developing a market that has never had these abilities of performance. All watercraft will be affected in many ways with an electrical supply so safe and dependable !

Mud, I wish you and Backwater well In your journey to develop a quiet electric longtail and possibly a new battery system that is lighter, with better power, safer , and economical . Chuck [emoji106]
Those batteries are still several years out if even possible and thermodynamics says a glass power cell battery will not work so would not hold my breath for them. There's nothing wrong with a lithium ion battery Bass Pros all use them they only weigh 28 lb and you can buy them in 24 volt

Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:09 am

Boatman wrote: There's nothing wrong with a lithium ion battery Bass Pros all use them they only weigh 28 lb and you can buy them in 24 volt

Only thing "wrong" with L-I batteries is their cost. Any link on where I can get more info on these L-I batteries you're talking about?? :thumbsup:

Finished the install last night, including lots of detailing (including the camo wrap). Will get it out on the water this weekend.

I have photos, but DHC says even one picture exceeds the max size allowable. :sad:
(I was able to post the pix on the Mud Motor Forum of another site. :wink: )
Last edited by mudpack on Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:35 pm

Sounds very cool. Love to hear how it does.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:06 pm

Took it out for the Early Teal Opener this morning.
It's quiet and smooth. Good power. I'd say it's 10hp rating is accurate. It gets about 8-9mph on LOW, and probably 12mph on HIGH. Won't plane my 1436 with just me aboard, but neither would my 13hp Honda/Mudbuddy with 200 pounds of hunting buddy on the seat where the 240 pounds of batteries now reside. Good control. I really like the reverse feature!
I went approx. 1.5 miles and had an indicated 67% charge remaining, so should be good for 3 miles with a little in reserve. Other than the limited range, I'm very pleased with it. Several other hunters gave me the thumbs-up as I went by, and a handful of curious boat hunters came over to look at it as I was leaving the refuge. The response was 100% positive.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:32 pm

mudpack wrote:Took it out for the Early Teal Opener this morning.
It's quiet and smooth. Good power. I'd say it's 10hp rating is accurate. It gets about 8-9mph on LOW, and probably 12mph on HIGH. Won't plane my 1436 with just me aboard, but neither would my 13hp Honda/Mudbuddy with 200 pounds of hunting buddy on the seat where the 240 pounds of batteries now reside. Good control. I really like the reverse feature!
I went approx. 1.5 miles and had an indicated 67% charge remaining, so should be good for 3 miles with a little in reserve. Other than the limited range, I'm very pleased with it. Several other hunters gave me the thumbs-up as I went by, and a handful of curious boat hunters came over to look at it as I was leaving the refuge. The response was 100% positive.
So what batteries are you using? To look at the lithium ion batteries just Google lithium ion marine batteries

Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:39 pm

Not at my laptop so I can't send you a link but Dakota makes up 24 volt lithium ion 11 year warranty half the weight of a wet cell battery they are $1,600 though but you only need two and that's only 60 pounds in your boat

Last edited by Boatman on Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:39 pm

.Image

Post a reply