Electric longtail?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: Dogman, NCSUDucker

Re: Electric longtail?

Postby mudpack » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:24 pm

Thank you for the link, boatman.
At full throttle, this motor is said to pull 100amps. So a pair of100 amp/hour batteries, connected in series to get 48V, would be good for approx. an hour's run time, even if they do only weigh 60 pounds.
If I win the lottery, I'll get four of them, but until then...... :thumbsup:
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby Boatman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:44 am

According to your post then you'll be able to go 12 miles instead of three quadrupling your range. And those are only the 100 a h batteries they do make them in 300 a h and on low you probably go a whole lot further than that. If you use Tapatalk they make it super easy to post pictures love to see a picture of this on your boat

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese
Boatman
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:14 am

Boatman wrote:If you use Tapatalk they make it super easy to post pictures love to see a picture of this on your boat

It's pretty easy to post a picture from any device. 11,000 posts, a decade long, and no pics? Could Mudpack be a bot? :huh:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Boatman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:39 am

Is this it?Image

I love Geese
Boatman
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:05 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Boatman wrote:If you use Tapatalk they make it super easy to post pictures love to see a picture of this on your boat

It's pretty easy to post a picture from any device. 11,000 posts, a decade long, and no pics? Could Mudpack be a bot? :huh:

I know how to post pictures on forums. (Already told you; I posted half a dozen on the other duck hunting forum, but DHC won't let me post my pictures because they're too large.)
I have no idea what tapatalk is, but I'm guessing it's a feature one can get on a smartphone. My phone is a flip phone, and I'm trying to post pix from my computer which, for reasons previously mentioned, isn't working.
Maybe I could email the pix to one of you experts and you could post them for me?? I can get PM's to work..... :biggrin:

I also have no idea what a bot is, but coming from hntfsh, I can guess that it's an insult of some sort.
Last edited by mudpack on Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:11 pm

mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:13 pm

Boatman wrote:Is this it?Image

That'd be it, Boatman. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Boatman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:42 pm

mudpack wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

I know how to post pictures on forums. (Already told you; I posted half a dozen on the other duck hunting forum, but DHC won't let me post my pictures because they're too large.)
I have no idea what tapatalk is, but I'm guessing it's a feature one can get on a smartphone. My phone is a flip phone, and I'm trying to post pix from my computer which, for reasons previously mentioned, isn't working.
Maybe I could email the pix to one of you experts and you could post them for me?? I can get PM's to work.....

I also have no idea what a bot is, but coming from hntfsh, I can guess that it's an insult of some sort.
Bot would be short for robot. you mean to tell me you can only run 3 miles with those 29 series deep Cycles? What's the reserve capacity on those batteries? Also not real crazy about the way you have those batteries hooked up you should use insulated wire because you have a extreme spark Hazard going on there if something metal drops across those two metal bars

I love Geese
Boatman
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:10 am

Boatman wrote:]Bot would be short for robot. you mean to tell me you can only run 3 miles with those 29 series deep Cycles?
That's my estimate, based on running about 1.5 miles: 3 miles with about 15 minutes reserve. Could probably increase this by about 20% if I run on SLOW speed all the time. I was running on HIGH 80% of the time, going on SLOW only to compare.

What's the reserve capacity on those batteries?
It's listed at 210 (minutes?).

Also not real crazy about the way you have those batteries hooked up you should use insulated wire because you have a extreme spark Hazard going on there if something metal drops across those two metal bars
That was carefully considered when I decided on the design. I elected to go with rigid connectors rather than flexible cables to keep the batteries from moving around. The red bars are rigid fiberglass (non-conducting) connectors, the current-carrying bars are the copper ones. The batteries are in a compartment (the old livewell) with a lid on it. Only way for a short to occur is if I am working on the batteries and drop an electrical conductor that is long enough to touch both sides of the circuit and drop it juuuust right.
I could insulate the copper connectors, but that still leaves the battery posts as a potential short. I figure if untold millions of cars and trucks don't have problems, I'll be okay.

Thanks for the concern and suggestions, boatman. I always appreciate input from knowledgable guys.
mudpack
hunter

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds