Duck Hunting Forum banner

Tiller vs Console

5K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  lhoutdoors 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to repower my 1860 Lowe Roughneck. I currently have a 60hp 2 stroke Evinrude (max rating for my boat) with a console/steering wheel set up. My boat is actually made for a tiller motor but I had this small console added to be compatible with my motor. Anybody have ant opinions on pros and cons on which type of set up I should go with?

#2 ·
Just personally for me I've never liked tiller steer. I've driven tiller steer numerous times but much prefer console steering. I find I can see in front of me much better sitting mid boat rather than sitting (or standing) in the back of the boat. For me it's easier to dock a boat using console steering as opposed to tiller steer. Console steering is just more comfortable for me. I personally find picking up dekes easier with console steer. The only time I'm comfortable with with tiller is for smaller boats 14' or less. On long boat rides I find a wheel less tiring than tiller. I know this is kind of like Ford vs. Chevy, Ford guys like fords and Chevy guys like Chevys. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions.
If you are comfortable with console steering wheel why change to tiller?

#4 ·
Most tiller boats end up with more room for dunnage than consoles. Also riding in the rear of the boat is usually more comfortable in rough water. On the other hand a console usually gives you something to hide behind for protection from wind or driving rain, cold air, etc and gives the dog something to crawl under.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 ·
A console really doesn't take up no more room in the boat as those things are only an eighth of an inch thick or less and underneath that you have dry storage for your bags and stuff you don't want to get wet from a shaking dog or rain plus when you get stuck in that storm it's much better to hold on to a console steering wheel than a tiller arm in super rough water and the wind, if you have a windshield, on those zero degree days. I will take a console any day of the week

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Two boats, both identical except one is console steer and the other is tiller steer. The console boat will have a higher hp rating than the tiller-steer boat. This is because ratings are based on transom weight and moving your body forward will have less weight at the stern.
So, if you plan to go up in hp on your rig, then a console would probably be a good idea. Even if you keep the same engine, a console will help you evenly distribute weight in the boat. Console for the win on a boat this big.

#7 ·
Small boats that are going to manoeuvre through timber tend to do better with a tiller. Big boats, used in open water, tend to do better with a console.

18 is a lot of boat for small water and not much boat for big water. I like tiller...but if it's an open water boat that will never see the tight spaces where you need to look down at the prop...console.

#8 ·
Some of your choice depends on whether you hunt out of your boat, or just use it for transportation.
If you hunt out of it, then a tiller would have more advantages than a console.
If used for transportation only, then a console would be more convenient.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ran my small 14 ft with a Tiller on the Snake river in Idaho for 30 years, but only for fishing.
By far the best for hugging shorelines when trolling reservoirs, and always for drifting the river. The Tiller gives 'instant' maneuverability/steering when needed. I've yet to see a console give that kind of control when really needed.
Of course it had oars as well, and the combination of oars and Tiller on a smallish fishing boat cannot be beat for that purpose.
IMG_1606 (1).JPG

Son has it now so I still fish out of it all the time. Best to have a young Buck in control than an doddering old Fudd like me.

Attachments

#10 ·
I prefer tiller and an open hull but that's just me. If your somewhat mechanical it's not too hard to convert a motor like yours to a tiller. The tiller handle is a bit of money, but so it a new outboard.

#11 ·
As everyone has said: tiller is faster response and more room. I am a center console fan. Center console is safer, allows me to focus on driving the boat rather than fighting with a motor too and gives me a place to mount my electronics and view all engine systems. When it is foggy and I have to drive via electronics it works better for me. I hunt in river to live lakes that are riddled with stumps. It works for me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.