Duck Boat Size

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: Dogman, NCSUDucker

Duck Boat Size

Postby JJWise » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:34 am

Looking to add another boat for duck hunting and I don’t know what to get as I don’t have much experience with big water. I’ll be hunting by myself most of the time and sometimes bring along 2 buddies, occasionally 3. This boat is going to be used on lakes and public marshes, but my primary reason is to run bigger water that my current 1436 can’t handle, such as the Ohio River (approx 1/2mile wide) and some rivers in ENC that can be up to 4 miles wide in places.

Anyways, is a Mod-V 1860 with a 40HP surface drive too small for what I want to do? Primarily concerned about safety on the rivers if the wind would kick up unexpectedly and getting up on plane with a full load. I’m willing to go up to a 2070 as well though it seems like a boat that size will require an outboard. I believe an outboard would be capable in most situations I’d find myself in, but think the versatility of the SD would be great to have should I need it. Opinions?
JJWise
hunter

Re: Duck Boat Size

Postby Mike the Fox » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:50 am

In my humble opinion a mod v with a surface drive on big water is sketchy at best. I’m not a fan of a mod v to begin with. Had a friend with an 1860 with a Yamaha 60 outboard and we found it’s limits on a 2500 acre pond with a stiff wind. Big water calls for a big boat with an outboard. I have zero experience with a surface drive engine but it seems that big waves would have the engine out of the water often which can cause loss of control of your craft. I’d be looking for an 18-20’ deep v. It’s all but impossible to have one duck boat for all situations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby JJWise » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:35 am

Mike the Fox wrote:It’s all but impossible to have one duck boat for all situations.

That’s what I’ve come to learn too. My jon boat with a longtail does great in creeks and small marshes but is honestly just too small for a lot of the water around here in a lot of conditions, and while it’s a great tender boat it’s borderline too small to actually hunt out of. Since I don’t have a ton of experience I wouldn’t be taking a bigger boat out in super rough conditions, but would like to be able to go out when there’s a little wind or in case the weather changes unexpectedly.
JJWise
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:05 pm

Mike the Fox wrote:In my humble opinion a mod v with a surface drive on big water is sketchy at best. I’m not a fan of a mod v to begin with. Had a friend with an 1860 with a Yamaha 60 outboard and we found it’s limits on a 2500 acre pond with a stiff wind. Big water calls for a big boat with an outboard. I have zero experience with a surface drive engine but it seems that big waves would have the engine out of the water often which can cause loss of control of your craft. I’d be looking for an 18-20’ deep v. It’s all but impossible to have one duck boat for all situations.

If you don’t REALLY need a mudmotor, don’t get one. You will hate it if it’s not a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby JJWise » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:03 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:
Mike the Fox wrote:If you don’t REALLY need a mudmotor, don’t get one. You will hate it if it’s not a necessity.

are surface drives that bad too? I have a longtail on my current setup, and while it’ll go almost anywhere and is pretty low maintenance, it is a pain in the ass.
JJWise
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:56 am

They are loud, can only go so fast and only carry so much weight and are thousands more expensive for less horse power than an outboard. I see people buy them all the time then sell them a year later.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Boatman » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:50 pm

Define big water. Until you define big water I can not answer your question.If you are just talking Ohio River then a 1860 semi V jon or bigger will work just fine.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese
Boatman
hunter

Postby JJWise » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:33 am

Boatman wrote:Define big water. Until you define big water I can not answer your question.If you are just talking Ohio River then a 1860 semi V jon or bigger will work just fine.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

I did in the original post. Ohio River which is 1/2mile wide or so in most places that I would be hunting, and several rivers in Eastern NC near the sounds such as the Nuese and Pamlico which can be about 4 miles wide. Those rivers and sounds in NC would require a pretty calm day before I’d consider going out on them though.
JJWise
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds