Duck Hunting Forum banner

Florida Outboards 2.5hp 2-cycle 2016 model, first test run g

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Dave in AZ 
#1 ·
In December 2017 I purchased one of these engines to replace a temporarily disabled MinnKota 50 lb thrust trolling motor. I never used it or even ran it because my MinnKota Parts came in very quickly so I slapped that back together and got back out hunting. But now my MinnKota is down again, so I finally broke out this small outboard and gave it a run.

I ran it four times in the garage and practiced draining the fuel tank and lines, then yesterday I went out with my son for a test run. The motor worked flawlessly for 43 minutes at Full Throttle, 15 minute break, 43 minutes home at Full Throttle.

I had it on a final attack layout boat which as everyone knows is extremely sluggish. Additionally I had the boat loaded right to its max weight capacity of 420 lb, which included the motor, me, my son, and some hunting gear. We're on a slow almost non moving small River or chain of Puddles here in Arizona, at around 65f and not very cold water.

The downside was that the two stroke motor was very loud, I had to wear earplugs and lean forward and yell to my son just a couple feet in front of me. Also it was very slow. We went exactly two miles according to Google maps including all the bends in 43 minutes . This calculates to 2.8 mph . I expected to get five or six mph. Granted it was a very much more loaded boat than I normally would take and a final attack to boot. Not sure what it will run by myself, about a hundred 30 lb less total weight.

My Endura 50 trolling motor with 50 lb thrust goes faster on its high speed setting. And that's with both of us in the boat which we did last week. The trolling motor has an 11 in plastic 2 bladed prop, while the gas engine as a 3 blade aluminum prop that is only 7 inch diameter.

I think Oskar has one of these that is almost the same as mine and seems to like it. In good news the thing only weighs 18 lb. The motor mount is very good and is a good height with the short shaft for the final attack. It started okay with five or six 6 pulls initially. It has a 32 oz or 1 quart tank. That run of 4 miles at Full Throttle or 1.5 hours basically used up about 28 Oz a fuel. So carrying an extra quart in the boat is very light and would get me everywhere I would ever want to go. That's a pretty good Savings in weight from the MinnKota which is 40 lb plus whatever that big marine battery is, maybe 70 lb? Thats 90 lbs lighter, so my extra 120 lb son was just a marginal increase from normal duck load. So not super hopeful about this wee motors speed...

The final attack is rated for 2.0 hp. Not sure where you'd ever get engine that light, this commercial bridgestone 2-stroke engine is 2.5 already. However I can see that I would not regret an extra few HP, and wish I had a 4 or 6.5. Not sure what those would weigh though.

I'm historically terrible at maintaining 2-stroke yard equipment, here in Phoenix the heat will dry any fuel into Gunk that's left in the lines are carb within a day or two. Seems like everything I've ever owned quits in a few weeks after I forget to run it dry. There will always be those that say just maintain your equipment properly, but the more cantankerous the equipment an onerous the maintenance the less likely it's going to be done. I'm still not sure about the reliability of this 2 cycle here in Phoenix with me has the maintainer :-( however I plan on giving it my best try with good oil and a bit of sta.bil or seafoam. Plan on emptying the tank and running the engine till dry after each outing.

See less See more
#3 ·
jsh909 said:
If it doesn't work out Dave, honda makes a 2hp 4 stroke with a short shaft. I love mine i use it on my small jon and canoe.
+1 for the Honda. I think JSH909 is referring to the Honda 2.3 4 Stroke. I've got one and it's been great. I think it's the only air cooled 4 stroke you can buy, without getting a mud motor/long tail/surface drive. Incredible fuel economy too. 30lbs. Works great on square stern canoes.

#6 ·
Mudpack,
yeah that's the crux... I look around on google and I see this exact same "2.5hp 2 stroke" that I have, being sold by 30 vendors, and they all claim different HP! Photos show it is 100% the same. When I got it, I thought based on their webpage that this was created and made by Florida Outboards... now I see this is an imported Chinese product probably, or at lease whoever makes it sells it to 30 vendors who all claim it. Sooo... I really don't believe the rated HP for mine. It looks like a weed wacker engine almost.

I went to Cabelas and looked at the Mercury 2.5 HP they had... it was waaay more substantial. Granted it had a plastic cover and was 4 stroke. I don't know enough about small engines to really know, but my "2.5" looked awful scrawny in comparison. That's kinda why I'm asking folks for info on how an "official 2.5" from Honda or Mercury or Tohatsu works on these small boats. I've never seen a 2.5 or 4 or 6.5 on anything small like this, besides an old 1950s Evinrude 4.0 on a rowboat, and that thing hauled ass hard! What's your opinion on this, engine for a 1 man layout duckboat? Thx!

#7 ·
Dave in AZ said:
Mudpack,
yeah that's the crux... I look around on google and I see this exact same "2.5hp 2 stroke" that I have, being sold by 30 vendors, and they all claim different HP! Photos show it is 100% the same.
Not surprised. If the difference in power ratings is, like, +/- a tenth or even two tenths, then I'd chalk it up to advertising claims, and just consider them to be the same engine.
However, if the differences are half a horsepower or more, then I would tend to think there are some internal differences in the engines. The problem is: how do we find out? I don't know the answer to that. :huh:

#8 ·
I have no idea on actual speed. I was never overly concerned with getting there fast. I just didn't want to paddle. In my 12 foot flat bottom canoe it will scoot though. Honestly faster than I would want. I don't even run it at full throttle. That said a layout would most likely be heavier and a more stable platform, so I would assume you would be using more throttle.

#9 ·
Dave in AZ said:
Thx for the honda 2.3 info. I've been looking at that online. Does anyone with one know how fast they push a layout boat, final attack is what I have but fatboy or mudrat might be similar and likely faster than FA. ?
Mine will do 7 mph with the boat fully loaded, but the boat is a Radisson 12 foot square stern canoe, which is pretty narrow and light. I think the Final Attack is a decent bit heavier and wider. My guess is you might want more power, but I'm sure there are people with the FA who can tell you for sure.

#10 ·
Been gone a long time and just found the sight again. The little honda is considerably faster than the Florida 2.5hp My old hunting partner had a 2hp honda on a Four Rivers and it would run circles around my Marshrat with the Florida motor.

I'm learning about small 2cyl motors in the SW as I moved to southern NM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.