Switch to full site
A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.
Post a reply

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:47 am

Frank Lopez wrote:
shootable Goose wrote: It's all about where a banding location is in relation to your huntig spot. Good luck :thumbsup:

I don't usually post in this forum, but I saw the title of this thread and decided to read it. I've been at this game since 1967, with a few years off for military service and working heavy overtime when the family was younger. Nevertheless, in all those years, I've shot one, ONE banded goose. And that one was banded not three miles from the spot I shot it! I just don't see the excitement in it. Sure, it's cool to find out a bit about where the bird came from, but, it's really kind of like a lottery. Pure luck! Still, shootable Goose makes a good point. One that is echoed in a recent article in one of the waterfowl magazines. Apparently, the USFWS is concerned about the data it derives from band reports. Apparently, a lot go unreported. In my opinion, that's just plain stupid. Why would you not help to ensure the future of the sport? That's really what banding is all about. Studying the movement of the birds so that the data can be used to ensure adequate populations.

Another big concern was something I never thought about. Apparently, there are those that somehow find out about banding sites and target those areas specifically. Many of these bands do not get reported. This skews the data. And the ones that do get reported, skew the data as well.

Each and every bird you kill is a trophy unto itself. Some may stand out in your mind. A particularly difficult shot that was well executed. A rare species for your particular area. An impressive retrieve. But, all are trophies in their own rite. I am always amazed by and admire each and every bird I kill. After all, you never really know which will be your last.

Frank

I couldn't agree more my bahamian pintail I killed this year lets just say I
I was so stoked to find out what it was. The thing is it wasn't banded and I was still happy way happier than I would be to kill a banded greenwing. Bands do make a memorable hunt but they aren't what it's all about. Like Mr.Frank said maybe it was a memorable shot,sight,retrieve,or just a special hunt in anyway. I can remember that day I killed my bahamian pintail. We got to the blind around 6:00 we start setting up everything, tying my dog to the bench, putting out decoys. When that's all said and done birds start flying in its around 6:20 I would say. I look around and I don't see my dog. So I started looking around outside the blind and I see her. In the pond while the birds are flying in. So I ran out there no waders or just rubber boots and I got soaked. I thought the dog ruined the hunt but I decided to stay. Didn't kill many birds that day, but what a trophy I got out of them, the one drake out of the 3 or 4 that flew in.

I just want to say try to make the most out of every hunt it's not about numbers,bands,or species. It could be your last hunt for all you know.

Ross

How many bands you got in your experience?

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:26 am

QuackWhacker65 wrote:
Nelliboy2 wrote:8 bands. 6 geese and 2 mallards one mallard is a minor band.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

What that I have a total of 8 bands? Give me a break it's less than one a season.

Two of the goose bands on my lanyard came from the same group. We had a family bunch of 5 come in we wiped them out and they all were banded the same day 3 years earlier. Pretty cool.

Feet down, guns up, that's the way I light'em up!

Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:57 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:
shootable Goose wrote: It's all about where a banding location is in relation to your huntig spot. Good luck :thumbsup:

I don't usually post in this forum, but I saw the title of this thread and decided to read it. I've been at this game since 1967, with a few years off for military service and working heavy overtime when the family was younger. Nevertheless, in all those years, I've shot one, ONE banded goose. And that one was banded not three miles from the spot I shot it! I just don't see the excitement in it. Sure, it's cool to find out a bit about where the bird came from, but, it's really kind of like a lottery. Pure luck! Still, shootable Goose makes a good point. One that is echoed in a recent article in one of the waterfowl magazines. Apparently, the USFWS is concerned about the data it derives from band reports. Apparently, a lot go unreported. In my opinion, that's just plain stupid. Why would you not help to ensure the future of the sport? That's really what banding is all about. Studying the movement of the birds so that the data can be used to ensure adequate populations.

Another big concern was something I never thought about. Apparently, there are those that somehow find out about banding sites and target those areas specifically. Many of these bands do not get reported. This skews the data. And the ones that do get reported, skew the data as well.

Each and every bird you kill is a trophy unto itself. Some may stand out in your mind. A particularly difficult shot that was well executed. A rare species for your particular area. An impressive retrieve. But, all are trophies in their own rite. I am always amazed by and admire each and every bird I kill. After all, you never really know which will be your last.

Frank

Frank, they band heavily in my area and it is all luck. A guy I met one time at a local expo had two ropes full he was selling, a majority being ones he didn't want. I asked about the reports, and he won't report them if he feels their from the area due to fearing lowered limits.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:16 am

My fist band was also my first Greenhead. I have also shot an aleutian goose with a neck band and leg band.

Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Saw 13 bands in South Dakota today! To bad our seasons closed and they are in the park!

Carter Klatt
AYFS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:38 pm

i am a young hunter and this was my second year hunting and got lucky my first time shot a drake mallerd that was banded and then shot a goose later in the season that the band had been shot by a black cloud bb and just about fell off in my hand and then this season shot a real nice drake mallerd with a band to you guys that havent shot one yet the best of luck to you and dont let people put you down for not haveing one yet youll get em next season :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Post a reply