Switch to full site
A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.
Post a reply

shells not to use

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:55 pm

:no: :no: Do not buy Winchester Xpert. My dad and I both have trouble with them they do not fire. the firing pin hits the primer but it does not shot. we have missed many ducks because it does not shot just heard a click. :no: :no: federal is the way to go :lol3:

Re: shells not to use

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:20 pm

I used to use the old winchester drylok shells but their ammo has gotten cheaper. Only problem is one of my guns will only shoot winchesters because they have a larger rim on them than other shells, in my experience.

Re: shells not to use

Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:21 pm

ducks385 wrote::no: :no: Do not buy Winchester Xpert. My dad and I both have trouble with them they do not fire. the firing pin hits the primer but it does not shot. we have missed many ducks because it does not shot just heard a click. :no: :no: federal is the way to go :lol3:


Sounds like a gun issue to me. I had the same problem when I had a cracked firing pin. It hit the primer, but half the time it wouldnt fire. Finally took it to a gunsmith and he had it fixed in 20 minutes. If I was you I'd take your gun(s) in to get looked at.

I will agree with you though, xpert are crap.

Re: shells not to use

Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:16 pm

I agree...sounds like something wrong with the guns or they are very old shells...Winchester makes good ammo...except for that Blind Side junk :hammer:

Re: shells not to use

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:05 pm

obisouly you never used the blindsides because they are great shells and they just flat out get the job done and then sum i bought sum as soon as they came out and never even thought about goin back

Re: shells not to use

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:14 pm

jack lowe wrote:obisouly you never used the blindsides because they are great shells and they just flat out get the job done and then sum i bought sum as soon as they came out and never even thought about goin back


Shot Blind Side last year...did not impress me at all...lost too many birds...

Re: shells not to use

Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:48 pm

BBK wrote:
ducks385 wrote::no: :no: Do not buy Winchester Xpert. My dad and I both have trouble with them they do not fire. the firing pin hits the primer but it does not shot. we have missed many ducks because it does not shot just heard a click. :no: :no: federal is the way to go :lol3:


Sounds like a gun issue to me. I had the same problem when I had a cracked firing pin. It hit the primer, but half the time it wouldnt fire. Finally took it to a gunsmith and he had it fixed in 20 minutes. If I was you I'd take your gun(s) in to get looked at.

I will agree with you though, xpert are crap.

we went through and checked the guns it will not shoot with any gun we try.

Re: shells not to use

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:28 pm

jack lowe wrote:obisouly you never used the blindsides because they are great shells and they just flat out get the job done and then sum i bought sum as soon as they came out and never even thought about goin back


Blind side is junk. It has poor penetration and leads to more cripples. It falls into gimmic loads, a way for an ammo company to market "the latest and greatest" ammunition and charge more for it. Only gimmic turned real deal is Black Cloud.

Re: shells not to use

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:54 am

I ONLY shoot winchester drylok and Hevi-metal now for duck and goose loads. Works great for me and I see no reason to change I currently have 1/2 case of Hevi-metal #2 3in, a few misc boxes of HM BB 3in, and 2 boxes of drylok 3in #2. they pattern great out of my Maxus and my 870 both with Carlson's chokes and sometimes a factory MOD in the maxus.

I also refuse to shoot anything federal out of my shotguns, and I know for a fact that my maxus has never touch a federal shell, and my 870 hasnt seen more than 1/2 a box of those jamming piss poor component loads. all though I do own a box of black cloud, its never been opened and I wont shoot it, I got it for free so I'm keeping it for somebody who is in desperate need of ammo and is brave enough to shoot it.

Re: shells not to use

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:21 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:I ONLY shoot winchester drylok and Hevi-metal now for duck and goose loads. Works great for me and I see no reason to change I currently have 1/2 case of Hevi-metal #2 3in, a few misc boxes of HM BB 3in, and 2 boxes of drylok 3in #2. they pattern great out of my Maxus and my 870 both with Carlson's chokes and sometimes a factory MOD in the maxus.

I also refuse to shoot anything federal out of my shotguns, and I know for a fact that my maxus has never touch a federal shell, and my 870 hasnt seen more than 1/2 a box of those jamming piss poor component loads. all though I do own a box of black cloud, its never been opened and I wont shoot it, I got it for free so I'm keeping it for somebody who is in desperate need of ammo and is brave enough to shoot it.


If you dont want that black cloud you can send it on down here. I aint scared!

Re: shells not to use

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:32 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
jack lowe wrote:obisouly you never used the blindsides because they are great shells and they just flat out get the job done and then sum i bought sum as soon as they came out and never even thought about goin back


Blind side is junk. It has poor penetration and leads to more cripples. It falls into gimmic loads, a way for an ammo company to market "the latest and greatest" ammunition and charge more for it. Only gimmic turned real deal is Black Cloud.

Thats odd...i shot blind sides all morning and it droped ducks like crazy. I shot a Blue Bill at about 60 yards and he folded up dead. Only had 1 cripple and he sailed out about 300 yds and by the time i got to him he was belly up.

Re: shells not to use

Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:35 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:I ONLY shoot winchester drylok and Hevi-metal now for duck and goose loads. Works great for me and I see no reason to change I currently have 1/2 case of Hevi-metal #2 3in, a few misc boxes of HM BB 3in, and 2 boxes of drylok 3in #2. they pattern great out of my Maxus and my 870 both with Carlson's chokes and sometimes a factory MOD in the maxus.

I also refuse to shoot anything federal out of my shotguns, and I know for a fact that my maxus has never touch a federal shell, and my 870 hasnt seen more than 1/2 a box of those jamming piss poor component loads. all though I do own a box of black cloud, its never been opened and I wont shoot it, I got it for free so I'm keeping it for somebody who is in desperate need of ammo and is brave enough to shoot it.


If you dont want that black cloud you can send it on down here. I aint scared!

I had a problem with black cloud hanging up in my mossberg 500. All though they droped ducks dead, they left not much to eat.

Re: shells not to use

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:40 pm

Duck Collector wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:I ONLY shoot winchester drylok and Hevi-metal now for duck and goose loads. Works great for me and I see no reason to change I currently have 1/2 case of Hevi-metal #2 3in, a few misc boxes of HM BB 3in, and 2 boxes of drylok 3in #2. they pattern great out of my Maxus and my 870 both with Carlson's chokes and sometimes a factory MOD in the maxus.

I also refuse to shoot anything federal out of my shotguns, and I know for a fact that my maxus has never touch a federal shell, and my 870 hasnt seen more than 1/2 a box of those jamming piss poor component loads. all though I do own a box of black cloud, its never been opened and I wont shoot it, I got it for free so I'm keeping it for somebody who is in desperate need of ammo and is brave enough to shoot it.


If you dont want that black cloud you can send it on down here. I aint scared!

I had a problem with black cloud hanging up in my mossberg 500. All though they droped ducks dead, they left not much to eat.


I found your problem its the gun not the shells. Get a benelli and drop the mossberg. Then no more problems.

shells not to use

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:44 pm

Ring one of those experts open and take a look at the bb's. I shot them once and I never will again. I dropped a cripple and shot it again on the water, only I notice bb's hitting the water 30 yards off to the sides. So I cut one open when I get home and the bb's looked like melted slag poured in there. Not round at all. They're flat and lopsided. They may not be that way anymore as this was about 6 years ago but that'll be the last box for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: shells not to use

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:47 pm

TXWingStinger wrote: They may not be that way anymore as this was about 6 years ago but that'll be the last box for me.


They are. Worse than ever.

Re: shells not to use

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:48 pm

:thumbsup:
Last edited by OneShot2146 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: shells not to use

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:14 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Duck Collector wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:I ONLY shoot winchester drylok and Hevi-metal now for duck and goose loads. Works great for me and I see no reason to change I currently have 1/2 case of Hevi-metal #2 3in, a few misc boxes of HM BB 3in, and 2 boxes of drylok 3in #2. they pattern great out of my Maxus and my 870 both with Carlson's chokes and sometimes a factory MOD in the maxus.

I also refuse to shoot anything federal out of my shotguns, and I know for a fact that my maxus has never touch a federal shell, and my 870 hasnt seen more than 1/2 a box of those jamming piss poor component loads. all though I do own a box of black cloud, its never been opened and I wont shoot it, I got it for free so I'm keeping it for somebody who is in desperate need of ammo and is brave enough to shoot it.


If you dont want that black cloud you can send it on down here. I aint scared!

I had a problem with black cloud hanging up in my mossberg 500. All though they droped ducks dead, they left not much to eat.


I found your problem its the gun not the shells. Get a benelli and drop the mossberg. Then no more problems.

The brass was catching in my remington 887 to.

Re: shells not to use

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:43 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Duck Collector wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:I ONLY shoot winchester drylok and Hevi-metal now for duck and goose loads. Works great for me and I see no reason to change I currently have 1/2 case of Hevi-metal #2 3in, a few misc boxes of HM BB 3in, and 2 boxes of drylok 3in #2. they pattern great out of my Maxus and my 870 both with Carlson's chokes and sometimes a factory MOD in the maxus.

I also refuse to shoot anything federal out of my shotguns, and I know for a fact that my maxus has never touch a federal shell, and my 870 hasnt seen more than 1/2 a box of those jamming piss poor component loads. all though I do own a box of black cloud, its never been opened and I wont shoot it, I got it for free so I'm keeping it for somebody who is in desperate need of ammo and is brave enough to shoot it.


If you dont want that black cloud you can send it on down here. I aint scared!

I had a problem with black cloud hanging up in my mossberg 500. All though they droped ducks dead, they left not much to eat.


I found your problem its the gun not the shells. Get a benelli and drop the mossberg. Then no more problems.

my dad used a benelli and it does not work

Re: shells not to use

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:50 pm

OneShot2146 wrote:To all, please send me you’re (Crap Shells) I promise to send you pictures of ducks killed with them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Once you learn YOUR grammar.

Re: shells not to use

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:01 pm

:thumbsup:
Last edited by OneShot2146 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: shells not to use

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:04 pm

:thumbsup:
Last edited by OneShot2146 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: shells not to use

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:00 pm

how bout you just shut up and stop bein a lil girl about it...well dern looks like i aint got any repect either

Re: shells not to use

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:18 pm

:thumbsup:
Last edited by OneShot2146 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: shells not to use

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:44 pm

OneShot2146 wrote:I’m sure your parents are very proud, POINT PROVEN.

stop fight or get of this :mad: :fingerpt: :no:

Re: shells not to use

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:56 pm

jack lowe wrote:how bout you just shut up and stop bein a lil girl about it...well dern looks like i aint got any repect either

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Post a reply