Getting a decent goose setup

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Getting a decent goose setup

Postby Newduckslayer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:14 pm

I am a sixteen year old in Utah looking to get a decent Canadian goose setup. I have a good duck set up but that doesn't seem to work very we'll for the geese. I am on a pretty tight budget as everything I get I'm paying out of my own pocket. I've been shopping around and reading a lot and would love to get some big foot full body's and floaters. I would just like to know when the best time of year to buy is and is flocking absolutely necessary. I have been looking on craigslist and the deals aren't much better then retail. Any and all information would be nice thank you.
If you are too busy to hunt then your too busy
Newduckslayer
hunter

Re: Getting a decent goose setup

Postby Trout&Duck » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:13 am

What is your budget? Will you be hunting mostly water, harvested fields, or a mix?
Trout&Duck
hunter

Postby Newduckslayer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:26 pm

I'll be hunting mudflat and river mostly so I bought 6 flocked ghg floaters with a slotted bag for 120. I'm looking to buy some full body's next and I think bigfoot would be my best bet. There's a girl in my area that sells them 20$ a piece which I damn good I work on a farm so I won't be making money til march and I'm thinking I'll realistically be pulling 60$ a month for decoys. Is six floaters enough or should I bump up floaters then go to full body's?
Newduckslayer
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:01 pm

I know this is not the answer you are looking for but, after 50 plus years of waterfowling and thousands of dollars worth of equipment and equipment changes I have lightened up my load and gone back to premium silhouettes. I have a trailer full of full bodies, shells and floaters, in the 4 doz floaters and 7+ full bodies and shells.
This year hunting between 1 and 4 gunners in field mats instead of layouts we killed just as many or if not more, birds ducks and geese over 5 dozen silhouettes, and I can pack all 5 dozen on my back or put them split between two layout blinds. These are all geese.
The brand I use are Dive Bomber Industries and they do have a web site.
Good luck and happy and safe hunting.
Wayne
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby Trout&Duck » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:57 pm

I agree with Force Fetch on on the silhouettes. I personally would look into the Real Geese Magnum Lite's, due to the fact that they aren't made of corrugated plastic like several other brands, so they will likely last longer and be more durable. That being said if you feel like coroplast decoys would work for you than you can get 5 dozen of the Dive Bombs for $300, or individual dozens are $70. Adding a couple more floaters couldn't hurt but depending on how many other decoys you have they might not be necessary.
Trout&Duck
hunter

Postby Newduckslayer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:00 pm

There's actually a pawnshop near my house that has 3 dozen silo socks with flocked heads that have been there for a year and a half for 150$ I've never talked to them about them because I don't have the money right now but I'll jump on them as soon as possible.
Newduckslayer
hunter

Postby MNOutdoorman1 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:38 pm

I am 17. Paid for my field spread out of pocket. Here is what I'd buy:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/ ... _104360580

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/ ... _104360580

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... oot%252Bb2

Yes, I do have 2 jobs to be able to afford that many decoys, but they are on sale for amazing prices. $100 for 6 full body goose decoys. Can't be passed up. Can't wait to use mine next fall.
Last edited by MNOutdoorman1 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Did you just miss all 3 of those shots!?" ..."Yeah..."
MNOutdoorman1
hunter

Postby njgoosehunter » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Forcefetch I was interested in silhouettes, but I wanted to make my own. Any advice?
njgoosehunter
hunter

Return to Youth