Duck Hunting Forum banner

Deer red dot sight recommendations

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  blackduck_killer 
#1 ·
Last year my dad let me try out his new shotgun with a reflex red dot sight and I loved it. The brightness of the red dot during the low light hours is a huge advantage where I hunt and I'd like to get a similar setup. I shoot a SX3 (my waterfowl gun) and want a clamp on mount, so I think that restricts me to the B-square universal mount (are there other options that I am not aware of??). What sort of optics do you guys recommend. I'm looking for something relatively cheap because I usually only deer hunt for a couple hours on opening day, harvest my deer, and then go out waterfowl hunting during the rest of the deer season.

In the past I've just sat under a tree and used a fiberoptic front bead and shot a hollow base slug. It works but I can hardly see the bead for the first 20 minutes of legal shooting time since I'm hunting in a heavily wooded area.

#2 ·
I put a Burris Fast Fire 3 on my sons 870 rifled slug barrel. He and his buddy used it to shoot white tails at 80 and 130 yards respectively. Sabot slugs. Everybody was impressed. His buddy's family had missed like 8 bucks before that with smooth bore and open sights. I'm probably going to put one on my Marlin 45/70 to help my aging eyes......

#3 ·
Not sure about your budget, but the bushnell TRS is fairly popular with my buddies who run red dots, light and compact it would be high on my list. I've been playing with a vortex spark on my beater rifle and it has impressed me. 2 moa dot I really like, it gives me a more precise aim point if I need to stretch things out a bit, not that its likely with a shotgun and rifled slug.
Those would be the first two I look at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.