Max Distance to Shoot a Deer

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Max Distance to Shoot a Deer

Postby California Sprig » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:09 pm

I know a guy who took his son deer hunting and attempted a shot I don’t think they should of tried. Just looking for comments and opinions. The son a teen had shot several deer over the last couple years so not a newbie. He shot at a buck that was 431 yards away (about a quarter mile). It was fairly open country. I don’t think there was noticeable wind. The shot hit the upper front leg of the buck. They attempted to follow the blood trail but lost it in heavy almost impenetrable brush. I say that distance , a shot should only be taken by an experienced hunter who is a well practiced expert marksman. I do not know the caliber of the gun or the scope it had. I personally think I would not have taken that shot but I know guys who are probably competent to make that shot. What say you?
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Re: Max Distance to Shoot a Deer

Postby Mike the Fox » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:08 pm

That seems a bit far in my opinion. Seems like an experienced hunter would have made a stalk to shave some yardage down. I’m in the northeast and I don’t think I’ve ever killed a deer at more than 100 yards. We just don’t have the wide open country like out west

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike the Fox
hunter

Return to Big Game