Max Distance to Shoot a Deer

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Max Distance to Shoot a Deer

Postby California Sprig » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:09 pm

I know a guy who took his son deer hunting and attempted a shot I don’t think they should of tried. Just looking for comments and opinions. The son a teen had shot several deer over the last couple years so not a newbie. He shot at a buck that was 431 yards away (about a quarter mile). It was fairly open country. I don’t think there was noticeable wind. The shot hit the upper front leg of the buck. They attempted to follow the blood trail but lost it in heavy almost impenetrable brush. I say that distance , a shot should only be taken by an experienced hunter who is a well practiced expert marksman. I do not know the caliber of the gun or the scope it had. I personally think I would not have taken that shot but I know guys who are probably competent to make that shot. What say you?
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Re: Max Distance to Shoot a Deer

Postby Mike the Fox » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:08 pm

That seems a bit far in my opinion. Seems like an experienced hunter would have made a stalk to shave some yardage down. I’m in the northeast and I don’t think I’ve ever killed a deer at more than 100 yards. We just don’t have the wide open country like out west

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby Soggy Socks » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:20 pm

I was in that situation the Friday after Thanksgiving. I was in a ladder stand watching over a large fieldthat bordered lots of brush. A small buck came out across the field and ten minutes later a nice 8 point came out. I had a padded shooting rail , a range finder and a heavy barrel 6.5 Creedmoor along with a Leupold CDS scope that i can hit a 4 inch gong out to 520 yards(furthest the range goes that I shoot at.) t here was no chance to move closer and the deer was not coming closer either. Rock solid little or no wind ranged it and shot it at 408. Dropped in its tracks, had there been wind or if i didn't have the rest i did I wouldn't have shot. i practice with and shoot that gun quite often so i was confident in the shot. Any of my other rifles no.
Soggy Socks
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:35 am

Soggy Socks wrote:I was in that situation the Friday after Thanksgiving. I was in a ladder stand watching over a large fieldthat bordered lots of brush. A small buck came out across the field and ten minutes later a nice 8 point came out. I had a padded shooting rail , a range finder and a heavy barrel 6.5 Creedmoor along with a Leupold CDS scope that i can hit a 4 inch gong out to 520 yards(furthest the range goes that I shoot at.) t here was no chance to move closer and the deer was not coming closer either. Rock solid little or no wind ranged it and shot it at 408. Dropped in its tracks, had there been wind or if i didn't have the rest i did I wouldn't have shot. i practice with and shoot that gun quite often so i was confident in the shot. Any of my other rifles no.

You are obviously a good and ethical hunter and a damn fine marksman. You know your limitations. My limitation is about 300 yards. I don’t practice shots beyond that. If I don’t feel confident or comfortable with a shot I don’t take it. I wish there more hunters like you.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby Soggy Socks » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:21 am

C. Sprig Thank you for the kind comments. In all honesty hope to never shoot one that far again! I do like long range shootin but I prefer them up close!
Soggy Socks
hunter

Return to Big Game