Whos chasing Pheasants

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Whos chasing Pheasants

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:33 am

Our crew from last years Opening day
Attachments
2018 la cross.jpg
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Re: Whos chasing Pheasants

Postby micneador » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:10 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Our crew from last years Opening day
How'd it look this year? Never was able to make it up this season. Lost a pup to a UPS truck last spring and my remaining pup is pushing 10 y/o. Did make a day trip to Blackwell, OK for our opener and was pleasantly surprised for dry and windy (25+ mph) day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:40 pm

Parts of the state were good but for the most part it was fair at best. I think whats happening beside populations still trying to recover from the drought a few years back is. All the areas, WIHA, that are within 15 miles of a decent size town have been hunted to death. We drove out in the boonies, waaaaaay out in the boonies last Friday and kicked birds out of all 5 fields we hunted.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Silverwidgeon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:05 pm

This was the first year that I didn't attempt to hunt pheasants in my 13 years of hunting. The population in Northern CA has totally crashed.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:07 am

The pheasant population in California crashed more the 20 years ago. At one time pheasant hunting in California was fabulous. I use to hunt up around Colusa and Williams and I’d see dozens or even hundreds of pheasants. Now a days you might get a couple pheasants hunting the refuges on opening weekend if you are lucky or if you have access to some primo private farm land. Most farmland in the Central Valley is barren of pheasants. I talked to a state fish and wildlife biologist and he told me the California pheasant population is almost nonexistent. There are numerous reasons for it but the two primary ones are farming practices and pesticides. He does not see the population coming back anytime in the near future if at all.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Return to Upland Game