VLDs

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

VLDs

Postby DOT3 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:11 am

Anyone tried the seating depth ladder outlined by Berger where you jump .010 - .050 - .090 - .130 until you find a node? I set up .020 increments and tried. My rifle did ok at .020, it really sucked at .040 and .060. Is there any reason to expect anything beyond that? Do the groups get progressively better/worse or is there like a calm before the storm where all of a sudden you find a winner?
DOT3
hunter

Re: VLDs

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:13 pm

every single gun is different. my two Browning Ab3's like different seating depth. You just play with it until you find what your gun likes. but generally if moving it one way keeps getting worse it will not get better so go the other way.
CPL holder since 1991, NRA Lifetime Member, DU Member, NICET certified

"For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.—Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: VLDs

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:05 pm

I know I'm late to post but..........

The OAL of a round with a certain bullet is rifle, chamber, throat, free bore, related.
Most find where the bullet is hitting the rifling/lands and shorten the OAL by .02-.03" in a bolt rifle, for starters.
One must note that this will also come with maximum chamber pressures if using full loads ............ so this needs
to be worked up for the shooters safety!!

IF...... the long OAL will fit in the magazine, you are good to go. Some rifles, due to their magazine length, do not
let the load get to a major OAL, so you are stuck with a "Factory type" OAL for your shooting, with certain bullets.

I usually go with the longest OAL that will fit in my cardboard factory, ammo box, for hunting loads.
My target loads can be longer since they go into a 20 to a 100 pack,plastic container.

Generally, all my "Full Length" loads are light to medium target loads for my varmint to big game rifles.
I did the 100%, MAXIMUM loads, years ago but have learned that a 90% load can be twice as accurate and still drop big game
in its tracks, plus the target loads are easier on me, the rifle and my wallet.

Have fun.
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Target Shooting