New tire recommendations

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: whisperin' duck, fowl_wishes, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Re: New tire recommendations

Postby dwendt » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:24 am

biscuitsandgravy wrote:BFG's are damn hard to complain about. I'll buy them at Discount Tire too, and if they leak, I'll have a chat with the manager. :thumbsup:

They're loud, wear bad and don't last as long as they should. That's the originals anyways. Don't have a whole lot of reviews on the KO's but we have put them on a few trucks.

Most discount tire store consider wheel corrosion a manufacturer problem, and not their responsibility to clean up, I'm sure not all are that way but just what I have heard.
dwendt
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:48 am

I had 2 sets of BFG tires. I liked them, excellent traction in all kinds of terrains. The problem I had with them was that they tended to hydroplane at freeway speed in wet weather. If you look at the tread design it's a very closed design and you have to wonder how they disperse water from under the tread.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:10 pm

When I get a new set of tires I'll rebalance within the first thousand miles. Always a few ounces off after they settle in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Uneasyjmitchell » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:00 am

whisperin' duck wrote:When I get a new set of tires I'll rebalance within the first thousand miles. Always a few ounces off after they settle in.

Any difference with regular tires, versus mudders or ATs?
"Blacktooth Grin"
Uneasyjmitchell
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:50 pm

More aggressive tires usually require more weight to balance and typically don't wear as evenly. When I had mud tires on my Jeep I'd balance and rotate them every 3-5k. Even with that my swampers were pretty worn after about 25k and my bfg KM2s made it about 40k
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Uneasyjmitchell » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:43 am

:thumbsup:
"Blacktooth Grin"
Uneasyjmitchell
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:35 pm

Uneasyjmitchell wrote:
whisperin' duck wrote:When I get a new set of tires I'll rebalance within the first thousand miles. Always a few ounces off after they settle in.

Any difference with regular tires, versus mudders or ATs?

Biggest thing I see is with a larger sized tire it's harder to keep them balanced. Mud tires obviously need balanced more often since they wear quicker.

LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Uneasyjmitchell » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:38 am

Yeah I put big 35 mud tires on my truck, but I probably dont do 4000 miles a year. Guess Ill oil change, rotate, and balance, once a year.
"Blacktooth Grin"
Uneasyjmitchell
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat May 07, 2016 8:54 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Have any of you fine fellows ever used Yokohama tires.

I had a set of Yoko's on my Scirocco, cluck, but they were high-performance summer tires. They were decent tires (DS100's), but no longer made in my size. Yokohama tires are a safe bet, as far as I am concerned.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Mon May 09, 2016 6:44 pm

mudpack wrote:Just put a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's on my Chevy pickup. Only been on two months but I sure like them. This is my hunting rig, but sees significant on-road miles, scouting.

X2. Maybe even a little better in the wet than my last set of Hankook Dynapro's.
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon May 23, 2016 3:56 pm

dwendt wrote:BFGs wear like crap.

The AT's on one of the Jeeps (16" rims) wore amazing fast once the 20K mark was attained and they also began cupping badly.

Running Bridgestone now.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Jeep went to war, to make it safe for Land Rover to go to soccer practice.
Yuchi1
State Moderator

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:05 pm

One thing about tires is their lifespan, before beginning to break (compound) down is ~6 years.

A client bought a new set for his 3/4 ton PU a few years ago that started to crack severely around the sidewalls about a year later. Seems his "new" tires were actually ~5 years old when purchased.

The stamped oval just to the right of the DOT stamp used to be four (4) numbers with the first two the week and the last two, the year the tire was manufactured.

Have noticed lately some tires have a "new" code in that oval perhaps, to throw the buyer off a bit?
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Jeep went to war, to make it safe for Land Rover to go to soccer practice.
Yuchi1
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:25 am

mudpack wrote:Just put a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's on my Chevy pickup. Only been on two months but I sure like them. This is my hunting rig, but sees significant on-road miles, scouting.

dwendt wrote:Let me know when they start chopping. Not if, when.

Just over 10,000 miles on them, and if the wear continues at this rate I should get 25,000 out of them.
So far, they are wearing evenly, are quiet, and give good traction both on- and off-road. I'll probably replace them with the same tire when the time comes....no complaints.

Manufacture date:

The number-letter tire code is located on the sidewall, near the rim and the letters "DOT", the code is "XXYY MMMM9999". The "XX" is the Manufacturer, the "YY" is the tire size, "MMMM" is an optional tire type code, and "9999" is the Date of Manufacture in week (first two digits) and year( last two digits), just as Yuchi said.
mudpack
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:08 pm

Last December I had a set of Falken AT3 265/75/16s put on my 01 1500 chevy. Can't attest to wear yet as I only drive it about once a week, but they are very aggressive for a A/T tire and have easily gone through anything so far. Price was also very good, and I couldn't find a negative review about them online. Rides nicely over potholes and other obstacles. It may have decreased my mpg just a bit (maybe 1 mpg), but that is ok, as I only use the truck for towing, hauling, and off road.
Time will tell as far as wear goes (although the reviews online are positive regarding wear), but with all other aspects they beat the tar out of the Firestone A/T and are about the same price.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:18 am

California Sprig wrote:I've had numerous 4x4 trucks over the last 30 or so years. All of them have had at' s on them. A few (not all) include Toyo, BFG, Big O, Cooper, and several others. Toyo'a got good traction but wore more quickly than expected. BFG's were great tires but they tended to hydroplane in wet roads where others didn't. Had a set of Bridgestone Desert Duelers, they wore out in 20000 miles. Big O were also good tires but they were a little noisy and also didn't wear as well as they should. (I have always had my tires rotated and balanced at each oil change)
A few months ago I needed new tires on my truck and got some I have never had before. I got a set of Hercules Terra Track AT2's. They have a 60000 mile rating. Here is my experience so far - excellent in the rain, no hydro planing, good traction. Great traction in the snow. They did surprisingly well in mud. They are by no means mudders but during waterfowl season they took me down and back on some quite muddy roads. They actually cleared the mud from the treads pretty well. Took my truck to deer camp up in the Sierras about 7500' elevation over gravel and dirt roads, logging roads and 4x4 trails, great traction no problems. One other thing is that they are the most quiet AT's I have ever had. Basically no road noise. I have had them for about 6 months and put maybe 5000 miles on them and no noticeable wear. Time will tell how many miles I get out of them but so far I am quite satisfied with them. Also they are reasonably priced.

Update - I have 45000 miles on these tires now and still lots of tread left. They will go 60,000 miles for sure but I usually change out tires a little early before it’s absolutly necessary. Still quite happy with them. They’ve taken me into and out of some remote rough country without problem. My next set of tires will be another set of Hercules Terra Trac AT2’s.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:35 pm

I put a set of Falken Widlpeak AT3W on my Chevy 4x4 just over a year ago. Love 'em.
mudpack
hunter

Postby BIG RIVER » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:41 pm

Sprig, I have been looking at these tires for a 1/2 ton pickup. What ply (load) rating are you running? I talked to a guy that has been running them a couple months, he commented that they are quit on the road also. Thanks
BIG RIVER
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:10 pm

The max load per tire is 2469lbs. I’m running 265/65/17
California Sprig
hunter

Postby BIG RIVER » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm looking at a 245/75/16, Sl load rating so 2403 lb's. Think I might go to a LT/ E rating, truck sees a lot of wash board gravel roads. Just put a set of Monroe Reflex shocks on, new tires and I should be good to go. Thanks again.
BIG RIVER
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:41 am

I put Nitto ridge grapplers on my truck back in the first week of November before duck season really kicked off.

I got 275/60r20's and they come with 13/32"nds of tread, today as they sit with 2500mi on them they still have just a hair under 13/32" left. so Still new practically new in my book. they perform awesome. So far I've ran them in about everything I think they'll ever see on my truck. muddy fields, snow/ice, rain, gravel, and every day driving. they're a little noiser than expected between 30-60mph but after that wind noise quiets them down. I love them, they handle wet roads better than my OEM tires (they only had 19k miles when I took them off for these) and they're a true all terrain IMO, not a glorified highway tire like most other all terrains. was quiet impressed with their traction in mud as well even getting around the farm when its messy is not a problem.

CE4DBE14-47D7-494C-A2A7-909F752769D6.jpeg
rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby DuckSlayer5200 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:20 pm

Put some Nitto Terra Grappler ATX 33x12.50r20 on my Chevy in October. They run great, don’t take a ton of lead to balance and have a 60,000mi warranty. Very happy with them so far. You definitely get what you pay for with the all terrain tires.

Sea Ark 1652, Gator Trax 35 Surface Drive, Rem 11-87 SP
DuckSlayer5200
hunter

Postby Soggy Socks » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:54 am

I have to get new ones for my 18 F350/ I've run Firestone Transforce in the past for situations you describe and that is what ill get again. I don't go with the super aggressive models of them cause since I switch to others for winter and snowplowing.
Soggy Socks
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:10 pm

Figured id give a little update, here are my Ridge grapplers after 10k miles. measure out with 11/32's tread depth on the worst tire (pictured) I could be better about rotating them, only done it once. Still working great for me and its been nice having them with the wet spring we had and running off of unimproved boat ramps. Also have towed a few heavy loads on them, and so far im pretty impressed with how they're holding up as seen they still have the first little "step" in the tread in most places

13A58FEB-CAB5-4A73-BB10-6CF5C256C892.jpeg
rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:02 am

dwendt wrote:Let me know when they start chopping. Not if, when.

Well, they are about 70% worn now....and no sign of chopping yet.
I'll keep an eye on them, though. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:04 am

BIG RIVER wrote: I talked to a guy that has been running them a couple months, he commented that they are quit on the road also.

I'd stay away from tires that quit on the road.
mudpack
hunter

Previous

Return to Vehicle forum