2019 Tundra 1794

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: whisperin' duck, fowl_wishes, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

2019 Tundra 1794

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:08 am

So now that I've had the truck for a few months (5,000 miles) I figured it's time for a review.
Overall, I really like it. It's a really nice looking truck inside and out. There's tons of pros but those are to be expected like the comfort of the cabin and seats; ease of operation, turning radius is great, cabin view (no blind spots or obstructions) etc. Here are the oddball tings I've noticed and maybe even cons.

1) The MPG is horrendous. I'm at 14.
2) It's a bit loud in the cabin, way louder than the F150 I traded in.
3) It really sounds like a diesel (exterior.)
4) For all the "top of the line" sales pitch; my friends Dodge came with a spray liner and bed lights in the corners of the bed and my wife's Explorer came with heated steering wheel. Tundra has none of that.
5) The switches and buttons on the door panel are not lit! ***? A black button on a black panel at night, that's not illuminated?!
6) The radio is no where near loud enough and the speaker placement is odd. You never feel like the sound is reaching you or loud and clear enough.

Acceleration and breaking is really good, nice easy ride too. I'm 6'3" and my wife is 4'11" and we both enjoy driving it.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: 2019 Tundra 1794

Postby DLO_ducks » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:23 pm

Heard good things about the Tundra, especially the Motor/transmission (if you ignore the mpg!). Heard some have lasted 1 million+ miles on original powertrain, why fix what ain’t broke!

Older platform though, no doubt.
DLO_ducks
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:18 am

Slack Tide wrote:So now that I've had the truck for a few months (5,000 miles) I figured it's time for a review.
Overall, I really like it. It's a really nice looking truck inside and out. There's tons of pros but those are to be expected like the comfort of the cabin and seats; ease of operation, turning radius is great, cabin view (no blind spots or obstructions) etc. Here are the oddball tings I've noticed and maybe even cons.

1) The MPG is horrendous. I'm at 14.
2) It's a bit loud in the cabin, way louder than the F150 I traded in.
3) It really sounds like a diesel (exterior.)
4) For all the "top of the line" sales pitch; my friends Dodge came with a spray liner and bed lights in the corners of the bed and my wife's Explorer came with heated steering wheel. Tundra has none of that.
5) The switches and buttons on the door panel are not lit! ***? A black button on a black panel at night, that's not illuminated?!
6) The radio is no where near loud enough and the speaker placement is odd. You never feel like the sound is reaching you or loud and clear enough.

Acceleration and breaking is really good, nice easy ride too. I'm 6'3" and my wife is 4'11" and we both enjoy driving it.

Slack - thanks for the notes, had strongly considered the Tundra. If it makes you feel any better, my 18 F150 XLT (bought new March 19) with now 6,500 miles only gets 14.3 mpg (city). But it is a 5.0 and I'll take that over smaller for the long term instead of saving a few mpg's.

My noticeable's over the Lariat I drove 14 years:

1) Smaller gas tank (23 gals) too small!! I can top it off and depending on temps, have a range between 258 - 305 miles. The Lariat was at least 400.

2) Headlight switch is a turn knob by the left knee. It is not lit and not have very obvious in settings, sits too low.

3) This is a plus but still getting used to it: the auto locking tailgate. Takes a while to remember unlocking all doors to drop the tailgate.

4) Interior lighting buttons on roof console are lit but very dim and rather small. You have to look too hard.

5) The radio/audio controls sit too low on the dash. Feel like really taking eyes off road to use.

6) Fog light button is small and by left knee. Separate from light knob. Sits next to seat adjustment/memory button. Again, eyes leave road to find it.

7) The "auto-stop" feature (engine stops/starts at lights). While you can turn that off EVERYTIME you start the vehicle it was a PIA. I did find a way to shut it off after googling the snot out of it but an annoying feature that is useless.

8) Think they could have given one more setting backwards in the seat adjustment.

Some of these were probably XLT versus Lariat differences but some things should be standard outside of trim and extras.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:57 pm

HNTFSH wrote:7) The "auto-stop" feature (engine stops/starts at lights).

This is awful. I rented an Excursion on a trip to Florida and didn't know this existed. It was terribly annoying and alarming every time it happened. On top of that, all I thought of is "my God, what will THIS cost to fix WHEN it breaks" and also, it's kinda dangerous because let's say you are stopped at a tough merge, then the engine cuts out; but now there's an opening in the traffic and you nail it to GO......but for that second, the engine has to start itself before you can accelerate and that is NOT the time for that......
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:09 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:7) The "auto-stop" feature (engine stops/starts at lights).

This is awful. I rented an Excursion on a trip to Florida and didn't know this existed. It was terribly annoying and alarming every time it happened. On top of that, all I thought of is "my God, what will THIS cost to fix WHEN it breaks" and also, it's kinda dangerous because let's say you are stopped at a tough merge, then the engine cuts out; but now there's an opening in the traffic and you nail it to GO......but for that second, the engine has to start itself before you can accelerate and that is NOT the time for that......

Totally agree, had the exact thoughts. And hard on the drive train when the engagement at hard throttle happens. :fingerhead:

Buncha do-gooder crap. Kinda like gas cans these days. :rolleyes:

I did learn it turns off when you plug in trailer light connection. The internet "advice" was to leave a trailer plug in all the time. :lol3: Upon further investigation I found there's a wire you can unplug near the fuse box and accomplish the same.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby mudpack » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:44 am

HNTFSH wrote:I did learn it turns off when you plug in trailer light connection. The internet "advice" was to leave a trailer plug in all the time.

I don't think just putting a plug in the outlet will do the job; the plug has to be connected to a load of some sort before the truck senses that there's something there. The load can be light bulbs or the proper resistors, but a load has to be there.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum