Input on protecting your vehicle in a deer collision

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: whisperin' duck, fowl_wishes, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Input on protecting your vehicle in a deer collision

Postby zettler » Sun May 09, 2021 9:33 pm

As some of you now know, after 67 years, or 51 years of driving to go hunting and fishing, this retired guy just got his first 4WD vehicle.

No, not a new one but one that is immaculate and looks new.

I found a man who owned a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer LT and he truly only drove it to work and home again for 17.8 years. It has 138,000 miles and it's showroom class IMHO.

While I took possession on Tuesday, I haven't driven it much as I'm trying to start out on the right foot. I've already received excellent, new floor liners and am deciding on whether I go with Marathon seat covers or ________ (separate thread)?

I also plan on adding vent visors to the windows and possibly a bug shield.

But what has me befuddled and looking for input on is there "something" I can add to the front end to help protect against damage from deer collisions????

I mean, what can be added (brush guard, bull bar, grill guard, bumper guard, etc.) that is actually functional, doesn't negatively impact the safety and integrity of the vehicle and doesn't cost an arm and a leg???

Maybe I'm being too paranoid but I probably won't be buying too many more vehicles, as I am 67, but I want to protect this vehicle and make it last.

It really came to the forefront recently as I drove those miles in my other vehicle early mornings to and then back on mid-afternoons from turkey hunting these past few weeks. I almost hit three deer, two by mere inches and one of them at 330 pm!

Anyway, I have been researching, or at least trying to see what others are doing or have done, and I began to doubt my sanity that I was going way overboard until I saw some OLD posts on a forum that led me to a Facebook page for MDB Fabrications tonight.

Yes, you all know I'm long-winded and have been forever as it suits me as an outdoor writer these past 40 years. So sorry for the "War and Peace" post but I would love to hear what you and others think.

I realize it's no longer an expensive car like when it sold years ago new but it has value to me.

Thank you in advance.
Never Forget. Never.

Fool people once - Shame on you.

Fool people twice - Shame on us.
zettler
hunter

Re: Input on protecting your vehicle in a deer collision

Postby Dep6 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:51 am

At least get one to protect the radiator. The front ends are not made of what they used to be. mostly plastic. so trying to protect the headlights and all to me is not AS important but the beefier the front end guard, the more money you are going to spend. The protector on the front of my 2020 Ford Explorer cost in excess of 1000.00, Sheriff wouldn't tell me how much it was. Good luck.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... but it can muffle the sound!
Dep6
Site Admin

Re: Input on protecting your vehicle in a deer collision

Postby zettler » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:52 pm

Wow! Thanks for your input.

Happy Father's Day too.
Never Forget. Never.

Fool people once - Shame on you.

Fool people twice - Shame on us.
zettler
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum