Duck Hunting Forum banner

Kiwis

12K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Dep6 
#1 ·
Any Kiwis on here that can tell me if they are still doing any banding in NZ? Here's two Canadas I killed on the South Island a few years ago. Just curious.

See less See more
#12 ·
MAN THIS SITE HAS GONE SLOW
now 2016 just finished opening weekend
between 4 of us we managed 24 ducks and 11 giant canadas
went out Monday for jump shoot as my buddy wanted a black swan,got that then 7 ducks
went out Monday night with my teenage son and we managed another 7 :thumbsup:

#14 ·
beretta24 said:
Any pics?

They ever get things arranged to allow foreigners the opportunity to hunt down there?
didnt bother with the camera this year :no:
and its never been an issue to hunt here for visitors from overseas....my Mate from Sweden has managed all our waterfowl bar the Grey Duck...which he is off to chase tomorrow and we have only been out 4times.
so far hes taken canada goose/grey goose/pukeko/paradise duck/mallard/Black Swan and a beaut male spoonbill-shovellor

#16 ·
Overseas visitors can hunt game birds and animals in Australia. Waterfowl can be hunted in 4 states. In Victoria the season runs for around 10 weeks from mid March with 8 species generally available. Bag limit varies from season to season up to 10 birds a day. A overseas visitors firearms lic. and game bird lic. is required. While hunting with a person who has a local LIc. No waterfowl I.D. is required. I have had a number of overseas friends hunt with me.We have even travelled to Tasmania and hunted Cape Barren geese and Peacocks. Only one issue since 1997 we don't have semi autos or pumps only 2 shots. I still take as many birds during the season and use a lot less ammo. Just made me a better shot .

#18 ·
If you were prepared to travel about the state it would be possible to take all 8 species. In a average year, where I hunt 6 species would not be a problem. The better years you can take all 8 in my area. We only had 7 on the list this year and a poor season I shot all 7. If you want to have a look at the birds google Game Management Auth. Victoria click on ducks and you can see what they look like. The Northern Territory has a later season than the southern states and have several other varieties as well as Magpie Geese. But you need to be prepared for the heat and 100% humidity.
If you were thinking of NZ I can recommend John Gemmell at Hanmer Springs. Did a trip with him some time back. Knows his stuff.

#19 ·
Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated. Sometimes it's hard finding good links with information on hunting in other countries because our search engines seem to assume you don't want to know about hunting elsewhere, or they just don't prioritize hunting information period.

#20 ·
due to this jolly pesky virus,our duck season has been delayed this year.....2 more restless nights to endure before we get a run at some ducks....loads of birds around,it will be very interesting to note any diferences to other years,being some 3 weeks later and the birds having had nearly 2 months of next to zero human disturbance could make things very diferent.

#22 ·
we got out n had a ball.to be completely honest I wouldnt like to limit out....50 mallards and 25 paridise ducks,2 spoonies plus pukeko (swampies) phesant and quail and all the canadas you want......each per day!!!!!
we finished up with 33 birds between 4 of us for weekend and were more than satisfied,the getting out and away is as important in my camp. dog worked fine and I didnt run out of gas for boat and have to row this year LOL.

#23 ·
Say again what the daily limit is please sir?

Glad yall got to get out and get some hunting in at least. Not running out of gas is a plus for sure. Rowing sucks out loud!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.