Duck Hunting Forum banner

Colt back in double action game!

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Alaska338 
#1 ·
I don't normally keep abreast of industry news so this one slipped by me but I just stumbled upon a website mentioning Colt offering a new version of the .38 Cobra. Their own website then confirmed it to me. I'm intrigued! I've used my Detective Special very lightly since their double action production was dropped, not wanting to subject it to any more wear than necessary. This could be my ticket to a non-classic gun I'm not afraid to use hard. Only one version of the Cobra is offered so far, but it's +P rated and I don't see anything I don't like. MSRP seems reasonable for a Colt. As soon as enough reviews show the new revolver to be as good as Colt wheelguns of old, I'm in for one!

#2 ·
heres the info I found

Colt is Building/making a new revolver.

Stainless Steel
Trigger Guard shaped for use with gloved hands.
Front sight changeable for different tastes.
6 shot 38 Special +P
Grips interchangeable with a Classic Colt revolver, So grip options are available right out of the gate.
The best known Colt Revolvers are the Snakes, Name recognition also is best with the general public.

Lets face facts, Colt is not making this revolver to make us old farts happy.
Most of us that wanted a Colt Snub already own one.

There market will be the self defense/ CCW carry market that need a Carry/House Gun and are not comfortable with a Semi Auto,
the Young, Women... and Yes fans of the TV Show The Walking Dead, And can't afford a Python.

#10 ·
heres the info I found

Colt is Building/making a new revolver.

Stainless Steel
Trigger Guard shaped for use with gloved hands.
Front sight changeable for different tastes.
6 shot 38 Special +P
Grips interchangeable with a Classic Colt revolver, So grip options are available right out of the gate.
The best known Colt Revolvers are the Snakes, Name recognition also is best with the general public.

Lets face facts, Colt is not making this revolver to make us old farts happy.
Most of us that wanted a Colt Snub already own one.

There market will be the self defense/ CCW carry market that need a Carry/House Gun and are not comfortable with a Semi Auto,
the Young, Women... and Yes fans of the TV Show The Walking Dead, And can't afford a Python.
I looked at the new Python not the same handmade action as the original……..cheaper made !

#3 ·
I wish Colt would make the Python again. I have a 357 python I bought around 30 years, paid a lot for it even back then. I personally think the python is one of the best revolvers ever made.

#11 ·
I have had 3 pythons over the years loved my 6” but learned quickly a steady digest of 357 Mag ammo thru the python would shorten the life span of the pistol. I limited my 357 Mag load shooting for mainly big game hunting only. The pistol was a excellent target pistol with 38 Special 148 wad cutters. Maintenance nightmare like a Swiss clock. Law enforcement the hammer drop time and pull was too long……S&W much better for that purpose .

#4 ·
California Sprig said:
I wish Colt would make the Python again. I have a 357 python I bought around 30 years, paid a lot for it even back then. I personally think the python is one of the best revolvers ever made.
With the amount of hand work that went into the Python, the price would be outlandish today and the sales numbers wouldn't be that high, Heck just look at what the price of a Single Action Army or New Frontier costs to day, they pushing 2000. What Colt needs is a Trooper MK 7 that would compete with the Rugers etc. in price. The Colt name would sell the gun alone at that kind of price .

#6 ·
From the reports on Colt Forum, its not the same gun as the old Python, they made some changes including beefing the frame up. Also from what Ive read there are quality issues in regard to bad machine marks in the muzzle crown area. cost is 1499. Also at that price point, theres no way those guns are hand fitted together the way the old one were

#7 ·
I'd still have me a new Python once 'early' production is smoothed-out... if one was to be found with a 6" barrel. Maybe some day...
They may not be hand-fitted like the originals, but I read the original Pythons also had a timing-problem. Maybe that has been fixed-- and 30% more metal to strengthen the frame too. I'm thinking it might be an improvement over the original. I haven't read much about the blued version-- Colt had a reputation for really deep and top-quality bluing if memory serves.
The trick will be to find one anywhere close to suggested retail price for the time being. I watched an auction where the bid for a new 4" stainless Python was $1K over retail price... and the bidding was still open.
I suspect the supply will never catch-up with demand-- least not for the foreseeable future-- just my .02 cents. LOL
--Tim

#9 ·
Tim Terrell said:
Gunbroker just closed an auction on a pair of new 2020 Colt Pythons-- the 4" stainless went for $3,025. The 6" stainless for $3,100. I thought I was stretching it to consider one at 'ahem... suggested retail of $1,495.
:lol3: Ouch! The worst part of that is they may go "unfired" and you have to wonder what the point was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.