Wrp land value

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Wrp land value

Postby firedawg1513 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:10 am

Good mornin guys. I have an opportunity to purchase a small tract of land that is currently enrolled in a permanent wrp easement. It’s flooded bottomland and basically unusable for anything other than hunting. In doing research, I’ve found that these easements can decrease land value as much as 70%. However I’ve also read where it can increase value.

Wanted to hear yalls opinion. When I spoke with the owner yesterday and she offered me the property I was surprised at how adamant she was to just make her an offer. Toss the thoughts my way. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
savin lives & destroyin property since 2002...
firedawg1513
hunter

Re: Wrp land value

Postby Phytoplankton » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:38 am

If it's good hunting land or could be made into good hunting land then it might be worth it. Find out what other WRP properties are going for. Make an offer if you're interested. Would you be able to make it into a little club and at least re-coup your payments/taxes?
Phytoplankton
hunter

Postby firedawg1513 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:46 pm

Phytoplankton wrote:If it's good hunting land or could be made into good hunting land then it might be worth it. Find out what other WRP properties are going for. Make an offer if you're interested. Would you be able to make it into a little club and at least re-coup your payments/taxes?

It would make a good duck hole and fair for deer. I did look for other wrp sales in my area and haven’t found a single one that has sold. I’m basically interested in buying it for me and my dad primarily and an occasional friend. I’m thinking it won’t have much “real” value due to the permanent easement and lying in a flood plain.

I did speak with a few financial institutions and none are willing to loan anything on it so being a hard sale could make it a better deal I’m thinking. Just wanted some others opinions. Thanks for the reply.

savin lives & destroyin property since 2002...
firedawg1513
hunter

Postby Duxndog » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:01 am

It depends on the property layout I think. How accessible it is, close to main roads, what’s the biggest population center within 45min-1hr away. If you can turn it into a very productive wetland/hunting grounds buyers with money are willing to pay pretty handsomely. But those buyers are hunters with some serious disposable income, and they want something that is 100% turnkey

Check out my Outdoor Blog at http://strictlyoutdoors.blogspot.com
Duxndog
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:13 am

firedawg1513 wrote:
Phytoplankton wrote:If it's good hunting land or could be made into good hunting land then it might be worth it. Find out what other WRP properties are going for. Make an offer if you're interested. Would you be able to make it into a little club and at least re-coup your payments/taxes?

It would make a good duck hole and fair for deer. I did look for other wrp sales in my area and haven’t found a single one that has sold. I’m basically interested in buying it for me and my dad primarily and an occasional friend. I’m thinking it won’t have much “real” value due to the permanent easement and lying in a flood plain.

I did speak with a few financial institutions and none are willing to loan anything on it so being a hard sale could make it a better deal I’m thinking. Just wanted some others opinions. Thanks for the reply.

If the banks don't loan on that will she consider a lease? If you both agree on a lease timeframe she can still keep it for sale. Do you want it for anything other than hunting season?
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby handyandy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:29 am

what area it is in really plays a big role. I know here in indiana wrp isn't worth much cause only person that would buy it would be a hunter, and indiana isn't a duck hunting mecca. Not many hunters can justify such a big purchase if they couldn't use it for something else like building a home or cabin on it or getting some return on some crops. Not saying indiana doesn't have some areas that some wrp couldn't provide good hunting, but for most it just wouldn't be worth it no one is paying lots of money for indiana duck leases.

Now if your in an area with good decent duck hunting that you could lease it part of the season or get buddies to lease it with the clause that you can hunt it too then it would be worth more. It could really be worth something if your near a city that many hunters commute out of to get to hunting areas, and would really like to have a their own spot. I'm from Missouri originally property say 1-2 hours from stl that can provide good hunting is worth a fair bit, cause there are plenty of hunters with some money that would pay to have place to themselves that they could hunt easily without drawing in or dealing with competition from other hunters. The other thing is if it is a good property near a city like that could you build it into a sweet little well managed duck camp that other guys would be willing to pay to be a member of each year. Just things to think about.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:11 pm

Andy--
I'm partner on a 60+ acre WRP wetland property here in Monroe County. We are hoping to accomplish a renovation of our water-control/earthen dike this Summer after 20yrs. Muskrats have taken a toll on the dike-- and the beaver are flat out-of-control. Feds are underwriting cost of all repairs--engineering expertise onsite to be provided.
I would say our property value has increased roughly 10 times from what we paid in 1999. We should talk.
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology