Full body stakes or stands?

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: yellowlab, 1ynggun

Full body stakes or stands?

Postby frydaddy » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:43 am

I have silosocks. And silloutes but want to add some full bodies. I noticed most come with a stand and a few with stakes. Seems like the stands wld blow over eazy. Is this the case and if i go with a brand with stands cant i buy replacement steaks from most other brands and use them instead of stands or at least on windy days
frydaddy
hunter

Re: Full body stakes or stands?

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:54 pm

On goose full bodies I prefer stands. just a tad easier, quicker, and you can set them on ice. I've never had a problem with them blowing over, aside from maybe a big foot that had a bad placement on a dirt clod. only full bodies I've herd of that blow over are the very first Generation Avian- X full body geese, and they quickly went to the square base and solved that problem.

the only upside I see to stakes are that you can adjust the height given the ground is soft enough, and the stakes take up way less space and are easier to transport. But stakes suck to put out and pick up IMO and you're bound to break a few when you go to put them out when the big freezes hit, unless you like running a cordless drill to drill a hold in the ground for each.
rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Re: Full body stakes or stands?

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:22 am

All of my goose FBs came with stands, but I haven't used one in the past decade or so, as they're a PIA to transport or use on rough ground. No thick ice hunting for me, and my stakes will readily push through our thin ice and as much frozen surface ground as we ever see.

If you get as sick of stands as I did, I suggest you try my course of making your own of 1/4" iron rod of terrain appropriate length (I've also some much longer than shown ones for flooded fields.):
011a.jpg
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum