Will a German Shepherd pick up my ducks?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Will a German Shepherd pick up my ducks?

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:51 am

:lol3: Well, someday might have to. :hammer:

Wife and I will be up at a Schutzhund/IPO trial in later December and look forward to it. Would like to have a pup in late Spring, early summer but a lot has to line up.

While most utubes show the protection work, the fully trained regiment is Obedience, Tracking, and Protection. Some principles identical to retrievers and others totally opposite. Overall, more alike than not.

Note the "handling" of the dog to various holding blinds in search of the assailant @ the 2:45 mark. The wife will have to be way more involved in handling of the Schutzhund dog than she's been with the handling of a Hunting Retriever. Good news for me is she'll exercise the devil as her running partner. :grooving:

Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Re: Will a German Shepherd pick up my ducks?

Postby ohio mike » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:36 pm

Damn backyard breeders. :wink:
Pumpguns and puppies,who could ask for anything more!
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:05 pm

What size bite suit do you wear?
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby RShockley » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:57 pm

I have always wanted to go see one of these events. I would love a chance to work with some of these trainers and learn some of their techniques. You can't ever have enough tools at your disposal in the dog training world.
RShockley
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:06 am

Met one that flushed and picked up a fellow's pheasants in the "way back when..."
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:10 am

Rick Hall wrote:Met one that flushed and picked up a fellow's pheasants in the "way back when..."

Probably smart sticking to upland. Not sure I want a long haired shepherd shaking off in the blind. But then again, not sure I want a long haired shepherd trailing through burr's either.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:29 am

RShockley wrote:I have always wanted to go see one of these events. I would love a chance to work with some of these trainers and learn some of their techniques. You can't ever have enough tools at your disposal in the dog training world.

I'm still on the fence re: the currently popular marker training via clicker. There is a lot more attention to detail on handler awareness and close interaction. To be honest, I am not looking forward to club involvement but it's a necessity. Hopefully I can quickly pair-off the people I want to train with outside of training days. I got sick of people with show retrievers "trying" to imitate the nature of a working retriever. Same applies in the GSD world, might be worse.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby crackerd » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:58 pm

Only if you train with a German Shepherd Field Trial, er, Field Marshal Group. Who give strict commands that must be executed "Schnell!" If not, you "won't have much hope of placing" anywhere but in front of a firing squad :wink:

Also thinking you might desire more of a cold-weather breed for schutzhund work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epH202bAauQ

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:10 pm

crackerd wrote:Only if you train with a German Shepherd Field Trial, er, Field Marshal Group. Who give strict commands that must be executed "Schnell!" If not, you "won't have much hope of placing" anywhere but in front of a firing squad :wink:

Also thinking you might desire more of a cold-weather breed for schutzhund work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epH202bAauQ

MG

I know, I know...new words!! Dammit, I had a hard enough time with the English/Ohio language! :oops:

I shoulda known you'd have something with a Lab, and a bite sleeve in its mouth. :fingerhead: :lol3:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:24 pm

My neighbors' dogo acts like he'd enjoy that, but craters when I fuss him for it. About like my current "tough" Chesapeake.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby crackerd » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:23 am

Rick, how did H&F get Labs mixed up (not genetically, even if yesterday was National Mutt Day!) with dogos and Catahoula dogs?

The Argies would not be amused. The Cajuns maybe a little more 'cause they got bigger fish to flash a smile at, football-wise, the next month or so.

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:29 pm

Judges just never stop judgin'. :fingerpt:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:15 am

crackerd wrote:The Cajuns maybe a little more 'cause they got bigger fish to flash a smile at, football-wise, the next month or so.

MG

Can't speak for the Cajuns, but this displaced hillbilly via Ohio is looking forward to seeing if either "my" teams can hold it together to the end.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:13 am

Does this look fun to train or what?

Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby crackerd » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:30 am

Changed my mind on your duck-pickin' pardner. Gotta be a Komondor https://thisbugslife.com/2015/09/18/the-komondo-hungarian-sheep-dog/ for better contrast when you're handling on the plond.

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:45 am

crackerd wrote:Changed my mind on your duck-pickin' pardner. Gotta be a Komondor https://thisbugslife.com/2015/09/18/the-komondo-hungarian-sheep-dog/ for better contrast when you're handling on the plond.

MG

I am surprised there aren't more of these around the 'burb's wreaking havoc, to be honest. :fingerhead:

Gotta admit though, that would be a sight...running hard at you...not happy! :lol3:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:56 pm

Think BURRS! :eek:
Pumpguns and puppies,who could ask for anything more!
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:08 pm

Just get you one of these. You'll definitely be entertained....
Attachments
FB_IMG_1501760981652.jpg
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:04 am

Preacher1011 wrote:Just get you one of these. You'll definitely be entertained....

:thumbsup: That's your partner I assume? The Malinois are awesome dogs, I'd love to own and train one. Those are serious dogs, a friend/co-worker in PA has one he trained for extensive tracking and recovery with his sister who ran a GSD. For professional applications, I think the better choice than GSD. But yeah...they are 1/2 nuts too. :lol3: :thumbsup:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:55 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote:Just get you one of these. You'll definitely be entertained....

:thumbsup: That's your partner I assume? The Malinois are awesome dogs, I'd love to own and train one. Those are serious dogs, a friend/co-worker in PA has one he trained for extensive tracking and recovery with his sister who ran a GSD. For professional applications, I think the better choice than GSD. But yeah...they are 1/2 nuts too. :lol3: :thumbsup:

Yup, my crazy partner Gino. He's a tracking machine. Judy depends on what you want to do. GSDs are slower and use their brain more. If a GSDs toy gets thrown off a cliff, he'll look and say "nope. " A mal would be seeing you at the bottom...
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:52 pm

That's a great way to describe the difference. :lol3: :lol3: :thumbsup:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby crackerd » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:39 am

Yeah, GSPs, Mals, dogos, Neos, all those - good candidates. But still thinking that H&F harbors a secret desire to work his way up to his ultimate waterfowling dog, the spinone Italiano. In so doing, he would be advised to take a cautious step forward with the Maremma sheepdog https://youtu.be/0lBS6Esrztw.

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:13 am

crackerd wrote:Yeah, GSPs, Mals, dogos, Neos, all those - good candidates. But still thinking that H&F harbors a secret desire to work his way up to his ultimate waterfowling dog, the spinone Italiano. In so doing, he would be advised to take a cautious step forward with the Maremma sheepdog https://youtu.be/0lBS6Esrztw.

MG

:fingerpt: :fingerpt: I have yet to see a well trained Spinone Italiano but that may be because I've only seen them at NAVHDA events. :lol3:

The Maremma is a no-go too, all my suits are black or navy. :hammer:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby crackerd » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:07 am

OK, I'm "detecting" timidity here, H&F - may have to quell your apprehension of the bigger bolder breeds by putting you on to...the Alaskan Klee Kai "retriever" (of, oh, Beanie Babies and stuff like that) https://hellobark.com/dogs/alaskan-klee-kai/

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:32 pm

crackerd wrote:OK, I'm "detecting" timidity here, H&F - may have to quell your apprehension of the bigger bolder breeds by putting you on to...the Alaskan Klee Kai "retriever" (of, oh, Beanie Babies and stuff like that) https://hellobark.com/dogs/alaskan-klee-kai/

MG

Game of Thrones actress Sophie Turner, musician Joe Jones and New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick are just three celebrities who own Alaskan Klee Kai.

:fingerpt: Sophie is very average, Joe Jones is dead, and Belichick is a cheater. I deserve better! :hammer:

GSD.JPG
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum