Started pups/ Finished dogs

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Started pups/ Finished dogs

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:05 pm

So I'm looking into getting a started pup in the 6wk-4month range. Does anybody have any kennels they'd reccomend? I really don't want to drop 15k on a finished dog (heck 5k for a started one is steep). I don't have the time to train a green dog, but can train a started one for what I need. I don't need a show dog anyway. It'll probably be next tax season before I can buy, but want to start looking now. Distance isn't an issue, but obviously the closer the better.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Started pups/ Finished dogs

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Preach - they're not too started at 6-8 weeks.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:17 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Preach - they're not too started at 6-8 weeks.

Except for the vet bills, they are real started at that :lol3:
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:42 pm

I was looking more into the 4 month range. I can take a younger one and finish training them where they need to be. Just don't have time for a total green dog with already having a dog for work that I have to do maintenance with every day. I also don't want to drop 15k on a finished dog. 4-8 months is originally what im looking at.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:08 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:

I was looking more into the 4 month range. I can take a younger one and finish training them where they need to be. Just don't have time for a total green dog with already having a dog for work that I have to do maintenance with every day. I also don't want to drop 15k on a finished dog. 4-8 months is originally what im looking at.

So by "started" it sounds like you want to just skip the early puppy rearing with a start on basic obedience. Just clarifying as what might be ideal is a good hobby breeder willing to keep a pup through 4-5 months with housebreaking, some early OB, some gunfire work, a little bird exposure and happy retrieves.

If I was a hobby breeder, I'd consider doing that for 3-4K on a 1K pup.

Will keep ears open, going to be a word of mouth deal I'm pretty sure.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:12 pm

Thanks boss. Dark Timber Kennels has 6 month started dogs for 4.5k. Don't know what kind of place they are though.

https://www.darktimberkennels.com/6-month-old-started-dog.html

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Willie » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:11 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:Thanks boss. Dark Timber Kennels has 6 month started dogs for 4.5k. Don't know what kind of place they are though.

Started dog to me is through formal OB, collar conditioned and force fetched.
You’re probably not getting that at 6 months.
Willie
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:43 am

Willie wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote:Thanks boss. Dark Timber Kennels has 6 month started dogs for 4.5k. Don't know what kind of place they are though.

Wouldn't want to blast Dark Timber but I agree at "6 months" the pup shown having been through collar conditioning, FF, etc. feels a little rushed? Doesn't look like they field test their breeder bitches. Not sure how they then determine all the attribute levels. The only current stud they own is a SH (which for most is a decent hunting dog) but they use IA out of more accomplished dogs for some other litters. All the dogs pedigrees look nice and good on 'em for health clearances.

Looks a little "factoryish" to me but it's hard to make a living raising and training gun dogs.

Personally with your time frame I'd prefer the litter from a hobby breeder that is willing to take one pup and "start" it for you. You can understand and communicate all the way through the pups rearing and training bit it's likely more work up front.

Might try contacting Clint Catledge (AKC Judge and Trainer/Breeder). Think he's in Georgia now but came from TN and would know a LOT of people from your region.

Clint Catledge
Judge's Number: Z7562 Judge Type: Hunting Test
Address: 420 Paul Thompson Road, BethPage, TN 37022
CEL Telephone: (615) 497-7159
Email: [email protected]
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:51 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Willie wrote:

Wouldn't want to blast Dark Timber but I agree at "6 months" the pup shown having been through collar conditioning, FF, etc. feels a little rushed? Doesn't look like they field test their breeder bitches. Not sure how they then determine all the attribute levels. The only current stud they own is a SH (which for most is a decent hunting dog) but they use IA out of more accomplished dogs for some other litters. All the dogs pedigrees look nice and good on 'em for health clearances.

Looks a little "factoryish" to me but it's hard to make a living raising and training gun dogs.

Personally with your time frame I'd prefer the litter from a hobby breeder that is willing to take one pup and "start" it for you. You can understand and communicate all the way through the pups rearing and training bit it's likely more work up front.

Might try contacting Clint Catledge (AKC Judge and Trainer/Breeder). Think he's in Georgia now but came from TN and would know a LOT of people from your region.

Clint Catledge
Judge's Number: Z7562 Judge Type: Hunting Test
Address: 420 Paul Thompson Road, BethPage, TN 37022
CEL Telephone: (615) 497-7159
Email: [email protected]

Thanks boss, I'll give him a shout when I get to looking. Probably won't be till next tax season, but figured I can look around now.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:01 pm

Agree with HNT. I’d also look at a local trial or serious hunt test person that has a trial washout. They sell those on discount but are usually fantastic for what a hunter needs. Like hoping for an NFL player but getting one that washes out in the combine for around the same price. That kennel just looks too puppy mill to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Willie » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:35 pm

There are some good trainers and retriever clubs in TN also. Take your time and you’ll find what you’re looking for.
Willie
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:49 pm

I will add, I can personally recommend a solid pro in central Arkansas that can both train well but can also either provide a pup if he has one or put you in contact with a nice truly starter dog if you want info.

Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:39 am

Bluesky2012 wrote:I will add, I can personally recommend a solid pro in central Arkansas that can both train well but can also either provide a pup if he has one or put you in contact with a nice truly starter dog if you want info.

It's gonna be awhile before I'm ready to buy, just seeing what's ot there. I'll definitely take his info though if you wouldn't mind PMing me. How do you go about getting a trial washout and do you know the going rate on one?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cuppedup50 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:42 am

Preach, if all goes as expected, I plan on breeding my female soon. She has a great pedigree and is a solid gun dog. The sire is lights out one of the best dogs I have ever hunted with. Let me know if you might be interested in a pup. I'm in West TN.
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:58 am

cuppedup50 wrote:Preach, if all goes as expected, I plan on breeding my female soon. She has a great pedigree and is a solid gun dog. The sire is lights out one of the best dogs I have ever hunted with. Let me know if you might be interested in a pup. I'm in West TN.

Is that an offer to start the pup?
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to Hunting Dog Forum