Thought I’d ask

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Thought I’d ask

Postby dgram36 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:28 pm

I’ll be at Maxwell AFB from Jan 9-Feb 13 for training and I thought I would post up and see if anyone is interested in teaming up to hunt. I’m an experienced waterfower, not familiar with the area but I’ll have decoys and all the other required equipment (not bringing my boat or dog with me). I buy breakfast and coffee. Please PM me if your interested, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dgram36
hunter

Re: Thought I’d ask

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:24 am

I don’t live near maxwell, but that area is not a flyway. You’re hours away from anything more then hoping to find a random wood duck. Spend your time deer hunting there instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:55 am

Bluesky2012 wrote:I don’t live near maxwell, but that area is not a flyway. You’re hours away from anything more then hoping to find a random wood duck. Spend your time deer hunting there instead.

Haha ok thanks for the heads up. I have friends over in Louisiana that I might drive over to duck hunt with. The logistics of killing a deer while living in a hotel room is enough to keep me from doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dgram36
hunter

Postby ozarktroutbum » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:51 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:I don’t live near maxwell, but that area is not a flyway. You’re hours away from anything more then hoping to find a random wood duck. Spend your time deer hunting there instead.

I always scoff when people say you're not in a "flyway." Last I checked we have 4 flyways in North America, and unless you live in Hawaii you're in one... :hammer:

However, I would agree with everything else. I lived in Montgomery for 3 years and I hunted most every spot on the river regularly. I was usually hunting close enough to even hear that dang wake up bugle from Maxwell more mornings than not.

You might be able to find some walk in areas in Lowndes WMA but don't get your hopes up. Not sure where you're used to hunting, but Central AL is probably some of the worst duck hunting you will find. Not saying you won't sometimes kill some ducks but compared to most every other state in the union it's not much to talk about
ozarktroutbum
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting