Dog's coat

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Dog's coat

Postby number3shot » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:29 am

Picking up BLM pup next week, third choice of five. Because of distance, have only seen pictures and videos of puppies.
Breeder states no real alpha types, no runts, all put together right. One difference he did mention was coats.
Some have soft, silky hair while others are much courser.
I live in north Texas, so have hot summers but cold water during duck season. Any opinions on what type of coat is more beneficial to a lab?
Thanks.
number3shot
hunter

Re: Dog's coat

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:43 am

That is interesting. The coat that pups have is not necessarily indicative of what their adult coat will be. And while this is based upon small numbers of observations in my dogs and partner's dogs, I get the feeling that the rougher coat seems to have a more insulating capability. Maybe there is a heavier undercoat. :huh:

Just this year, I watched two labs in our blind. One had a softer red coat and seemed to shiver a bit more than the more traditional chocolate colored rougher coat. Given your location, it probably will not make much difference, and I am always a fan of spoiling dogs so if it is going to be cold, use a neoprene vest so the pooch is more comfortable after that cold water retrieve. :beer:

Now it is time to put everything that is not made of tempered steel into storage for a year. :yes:

Good luck with the new pup, and remember these two very important things. (1) You can get away with taking a pup anywhere which is great for socialization, and (2) Puppies are amazing chick magnets. You will have 6-10 months to use that to your advantage. :thumbsup:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
Swamp Azz

Re: Dog's coat

Postby number3shot » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:36 pm

Neoprene vest...check
Stuff put away...check
Able to take pup with me...check
Chick magnet...I'm a prayen
number3shot
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum