Duck Hunting Forum banner

We're gonna give it a go

3K views 112 replies 14 participants last post by  HNTFSH 
#1 ·
Entered Mac in his first hunt test. Any tips from the real trainer/handlers would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first and to be honest I'm a little nervous. He's capable but not sure I am.

#3 ·
HNTFSH said:
sprigs4days said:
Entered Mac in his first hunt test. Any tips from the real trainer/handlers would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first and to be honest I'm a little nervous. He's capable but not sure I am.
Rule #1: Don't fugg it up! :thumbsup:
Gotcha :thumbsup: memo to self; Do Not Eff This Up.
What else you got?

#4 ·
sprigs4days said:
HNTFSH said:
sprigs4days said:
Rule #1: Don't fugg it up! :thumbsup:
Gotcha :thumbsup: memo to self; Do Not Eff This Up.
What else you got?
Use a blind and have throwers for the marks. Dog needs used to a boogie man out there.

#8 ·
sprigs4days said:
HNTFSH said:
RShockley said:
What are you going to be running? HRC or AKC and what level?
Junior/Started
Yep. Junior/AKC
Make sure you have a flat buckle collar and leash instead of using a slip lead. You can hold his collar at the line and I recommend using that despite how steady he may be. Delivery to hand is a must so never pick up a duck off the ground yourself. Other than that just relax and enjoy it. The dog might be more amped then normal with all the distractions and excitement a test environment can provide. You will have 2 singles on land and 2 singles through water. Good luck and have some fun.

#9 ·
For your dog it's not a test, it's just going to be a super fun day doing what he loves and having a great time. So relax and enjoy it with him. If he messes up then so be it. It's not a big deal. If he does well then be proud of him. Just have fun and enjoy the experience.

#10 ·
RShockley said:
sprigs4days said:
HNTFSH said:
RShockley said:
What are you going to be running? HRC or AKC and what level?
Junior/Started
Yep. Junior/AKC
Make sure you have a flat buckle collar and leash instead of using a slip lead. You can hold his collar at the line and I recommend using that despite how steady he may be. Delivery to hand is a must so never pick up a duck off the ground yourself. Other than that just relax and enjoy it. The dog might be more amped then normal with all the distractions and excitement a test environment can provide. You will have 2 singles on land and 2 singles through water. Good luck and have some fun.
Shockley got us started. :thumbsup: All true and do NOT touch your dog on the way back when he is delivering the bird. Even if, for some reason, he starts acting up and not bringing it to hand. As said, if he drops the bird, command fetch and let him deliver mouth to hand. You can pet/congratulate the dog AFTER the bird is in your hand. :lol3:

If something starts going whacky, don't scold or appear to scold the dog. They are judging handler/dog relationship and can DQ for it. Often times Junior judges are the least experienced in judging what they see. On the lead to the line...heel the dog. If he's a "puller" it's magnified at the excitement of the environment.

I know I've hit on blind and bird boys but do have a stranger throw some birds from a blind for him in training. Seen more than one amped up young dog get distracted by a guy/gal hiding in a holding blind as the pup nears the bird that just went down.

You'll get a duck call from the blind right before the mark is thrown. You may NOT talk to your dog once you have called for the bird to be thrown and only AFTER the judge instructs you may release the dog.

Chances are you'll be in at least two holding blinds awaiting your turn and that's a good time to calm your dog as shotgun blasts will be going off for the dogs running ahead of you and the pup won't be seeing what's going on. I'm sure he know knows gunshot = bird so they can get a little excited. Stick the lead in your pocket when you begin handling the dog at the line and have a grasp of the collar.

Judges want to see junior dogs pass. Typical reasons they don't for some reason really are handler mistakes (as above) except for:

Hard mouths a bird and breaks the skin
Returns without the bird
Won't deliver to hand (keeps dropping it or parading around with it) :lol3:
Unruly at the line
Bites a judge :devil:

It's over really quick. Thank the judges when done.

You'll smoke it! But I am willing to start a pool here if there's interest.

#11 ·
As well as what the others have posted .....
- Take your time!! You paid to stand at the line with your dog, try to take your time getting both you and your dog settled at the line before you call for the marks! Easy to say ... not too easy to do until you've done it a "few" times!
- Be sure to be there early enough to watch the test dog run. This should give you the "ins and outs" of the test and the judges will describe what they are and are not looking for from the handler / dog teams when they run the test. After the test dog runs, the judges will ask if anyone has any questions about the test. No matter how basic the question is ASK it ....... should you be unsure of any part of the test the only silly question is the one you don't ask that comes back to bite you during the test!

Good luck and have fun! With that first ribbon you are about to get hooked and join the penniless hunt test club!! :biggrin:

#13 ·
California Sprig said:
For your dog it's not a test, it's just going to be a super fun day doing what he loves and having a great time. So relax and enjoy it with him. If he messes up then so be it. It's not a big deal. If he does well then be proud of him. Just have fun and enjoy the experience.
Haven't tested "the bug," but the above became our testing MO with the last three of the four we did. When we got to the last holding blind, I made a point of telling them, "Win, lose or draw, you're still my guy."

Put me in the right frame of mind and calmed my nerves, which in turn helped calm theirs.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the pointers, guys. I gotta admit I am a little nervous. This will be my first time at this and I'm just an amateur at best. One thing for sure, at the end of the day Mac is my boy regardless of the outcome. Something I'll be telling myself as I'm at the line.

Thanks again.

#15 ·
HNTFSH said:
^^^ :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Which test are you running? And, of course, it would be fun if the wife phone video's from the gallery and you post it here on utube. :grooving:
You mean like which club is running it?

Pics for sure, YouTube probably not.

#16 ·
sprigs4days said:
HNTFSH said:

Which test are you running? And, of course, it would be fun if the wife phone video's from the gallery and you post it here on utube. :grooving:

Yes! Which club. Are you running both days?

#17 ·
sprigs4days said:
Thanks for all the pointers, guys. I gotta admit I am a little nervous. This will be my first time at this and I'm just an amateur at best. One thing for sure, at the end of the day Mac is my boy regardless of the outcome. Something I'll be telling myself as I'm at the line.

Thanks again.
It won't happen to you but there have been some hilarious Junior Hunt Test moments. Things like pups running off with the bird or bringing it back and taunting the owner with a game of keep away. :lol3: Another fun one is the pup that parades around the gallery before returning to the handler with the bird. :fingerhead:

#18 ·
HNTFSH said:
sprigs4days said:
HNTFSH said:

Yes! Which club. Are you running both days?
Monterey Bay retriever club will be running it. We're only running one day.

#22 ·
RShockley said:
HNTFSH said:
Another fun one is the pup that parades around the gallery before returning to the handler with the bird. :fingerhead:
I would be lying if I said some of my goldens in the past weren't guilty of this. :fingerhead: :help: :lol3:
:lol3: Goldens and Flatcoats are the primary offenders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.