We’re gonna give it a go

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Re: We’re gonna give it a go

Postby sprigs4days » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:23 pm

5 stand wrote:Mac couldn't have a better owner!
Go # 44 !!!!! :thumbsup:

5, I suck but thanks man
Last edited by sprigs4days on Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Life is hard, but it’s harder when you’re stupid” J. Kennedy (R-LA)
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:25 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:
sprigs4days wrote:I did get to see some real nice dogs. And to watch them work was pretty cool. The family had a good time and did their best to cheer me up. We’re not done, this will burn in my gut till we get it done.

Well you answered my "Are you hooked yet?" question! :biggrin:

If you are not training with a group ..... see if there is a "local" club that you can get out and train with, as this would give your dog LOTS of distractions and that test day "feel"!

Ribbon or not .... well done! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words, Dakota.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:35 pm

Flatsmaster23 wrote:Sorry it didn’t go as planned but we usually learn more from a setback just as a dog learns from a correction ... no idea where u train but I see the test had reasonable cover so make sure u don’t always train in a mowed easily visual mark situation so dog gets some nose work... pups just getting started with the best yet to come !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right on Flat and yeah where we train it’s pretty easy for him to pick up marks, the only time he really sees any cover like that is when we’re hunting.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:55 am

sprigs4days wrote: Walking to the line I felt good about getting it done, especially after I saw how lenient the judges had been to a few of the dogs runs, but when Mac popped and came back to me I knew I was toast.

That's good, that's where a lot of young dogs go sideways in a new environment like that. Handlers too. :lol3:

And IMO it helps you're own confidence on the next one knowing the judges really want you to pass. I'm sure judges you're been in front of before, probably knew you were guilty of something, maybe just not the reason you were there. :devil:

Maybe it's too soon but I gotta ask...what did you do when Mac stopped and started to return to you? That a pee-your-pants moment in time. Did you try to communicate anything or waive him off to get back on the bird?
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby sprigs4days » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:49 am

HNTFSH wrote:
sprigs4days wrote: Walking to the line I felt good about getting it done, especially after I saw how lenient the judges had been to a few of the dogs runs, but when Mac popped and came back to me I knew I was toast.

Maybe it's too soon but I gotta ask...what did you do when Mac stopped and started to return to you? That a pee-your-pants moment in time. Did you try to communicate anything or waive him off to get back on the bird?

Dude I just froze and stood there like a dumbass. When he spun around , stopped and looked at me for some help I shoulda gave him a back cast but I wasn't sure if I could do that at the line. I'm kicking myself in the ass for not giving him any help.

I gotta delete that damn video, it's driving me nuts!
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:02 am

sprigs4days wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

Dude I just froze and stood there like a dumbass. When he spun around , stopped and looked at me for some help I shoulda gave him a back cast but I wasn't sure if I could do that at the line. I'm kicking myself in the ass for not giving him any help.

I gotta delete that damn video, it's driving me nuts!

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :beer:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:26 am

sprigs4days wrote:I did catch sight of a few handler/dogs that were too damn pretty to ever be in the muck chasing ducks.

And a good portion would have bitched-up a storm if there was a live flyer in the land series. :fingerhead:

Always cracked me up. :lol3:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:54 am

sprigs at least you had the balls to get out there and do it and I'm sure if you keep at it you'll get it . Like HNT said there is a difference between a test dog and a hunting dog just like with people there is a difference between book smart and street smart . :beer:
OGblackcloud
Super Moderator

Postby sprigs4days » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:58 pm

Right on OG, not qualifying sucked but the whole experience was pretty cool.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:29 pm

You need to find out who had the stupid whiney-ass dog and ice pik their tires at the next one.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:34 pm

BTW...27% of the Juniors failed. That's pretty high. What were you seeing?
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby sprigs4days » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:07 pm

The few that I did see fail we’re having trouble with the thick cover. Depended on how far out the live flyer got before they shot it. The ones that got dropped right outta the gate were picked up no problem, it was the 2 shell bird that got out there into the thick of it that were giving em problems.

Gotta kick out of the test dog. She was an old girl. The gal that was running her wasn’t too far behind. She went out and got the bird no problem but wanted no part whatsoever of bringing it back. After what seemed like hours she was finally coaxed enough to come in.
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:24 pm

OH!! You did have a flyer! Lotsa clubs don't for Junior. Glad to see your test did.

Funny on the test dog. I think I know that pair. :lol3: :fingerhead:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Flatsmaster23 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:19 pm

Love the gunners ... my dog last year in a Master had the gunner cripple the flyer go bird on the land/water triple so after waiting for her turn and watching a triple they roll us a whole 2 spots before we go again ... my little girl was breathing fire to have to watch 3 more before being released ... I lost a little more of my limited hair that day but that’s hunt tests ... she prolly did ok bc she’s used to me missing when we hunt teal [emoji16]

Flatsmaster23
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:33 pm

Nothing feels as hairy as winding your pick-up slowly down the dirt road parallel to a test, hauling live birds in big crates in the bed. And looking in your rear-view to see a couple of duck heads swiveling around because the slide door on the crate worked it's way open in transit.

The moment that all comes together in your mind...3 or 4 birds take flight from the crate onto the test grounds with another couple dozen just hankering to follow. :eek:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby sprigs4days » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:16 pm

Flatsmaster23 wrote:... no idea where u train but I see the test had reasonable cover so make sure u don’t always train in a mowed easily visual mark situation so dog gets some nose work...

Did some searching and found a nice little spot that has plenty of cover and a pond to boot.
B7C66E12-83E5-4A17-8B03-8B1DEDB7F618.jpeg

27FF6562-C53E-40D7-B3E4-6F73BBFC0146.jpeg

579F5818-49FA-480B-80E9-F3A72C449EEE.jpeg
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby Flatsmaster23 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:10 pm

That’s awesome right there ...I bet he likes the change of scenery .... I like to take my girl to diff places bc it makes me get out of my (rut) habits and figure out a new way to reenforce some concepts ... where i usually go she’s been so much and I’m such a creature of habit she prolly knows what’s going to happen before I drag launcher out of truck ... good thing is I’m just keeping her in shape for duck season ... she has her MH and HRCH ... qualified for Master National last year but my Dr discovered a health issue (with me)that made us withdraw ... its quite a adventure that little dude is going to take you on ... you’ll crush the next one and not look back .. only other advice I would give and I’m a novice so take for what it’s worth ... I see quite a few people as they put some handle on a dog use it to much ... running tests especially as y’all advance you want ur dog to put up a good hunt for a bird on his or her own ... in the 3 triples in Master test which is 9 marks you can only help on 2 of them ... make that dog hunt in training ... some of my buddies dogs will pop way to quick looking for help versus continuing to hunt ... you may make ur dog put up a good hunt now so ignore but if not something to think about

Flatsmaster23
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:15 pm

Flatsmaster23 wrote:That’s awesome right there ...I bet he likes the change of scenery .... I like to take my girl to diff places bc it makes me get out of my (rut) habits and figure out a new way to reenforce some concepts ... where i usually go she’s been so much and I’m such a creature of habit she prolly knows what’s going to happen before I drag launcher out of truck ... good thing is I’m just keeping her in shape for duck season ... she has her MH and HRCH ... qualified for Master National last year but my Dr discovered a health issue (with me)that made us withdraw ... its quite a adventure that little dude is going to take you on ... you’ll crush the next one and not look back .. only other advice I would give and I’m a novice so take for what it’s worth ... I see quite a few people as they put some handle on a dog use it to much ... running tests especially as y’all advance you want ur dog to put up a good hunt for a bird on his or her own ... in the 3 triples in Master test which is 9 marks you can only help on 2 of them ... make that dog hunt in training ... some of my buddies dogs will pop way to quick looking for help versus continuing to hunt ... you may make ur dog put up a good hunt now so ignore but if not something to think about

Hunting upland birds helps with that.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Flatsmaster23 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:34 am

Hntfsh I wish I new something about upland ... my dad did it and had brittanys before I was born .. he was from Washington state ... I no it’s minimal but some knowledge is needed to run the grand .. my dogs dad had upland title and mine will naturally point at some smells when she is just on potty break in some pastures we visit daily but as usual I’m the weak link and no nothing about it ... any good video or you tube I can check out ... obviously I’m not a big reader :)

Flatsmaster23
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:23 pm

It's pretty easy on a flushing dog. Basically the dog using the nose mama gave it.

The hard part is putting young dogs on live birds, A LOT of live birds. Here for example we have very few wild pheasant and no quail so that means lots of purchased birds and game farms. THAT is in order to build a really productive dog, not just "another pair of legs" with a nose that might take up an upland test or occasional state release.

Birds teach dogs.

The handler has to do stuff like teach range, maybe quartering, speed (control) on a running bird, etc. I want to be able to SIT a dog trailing a hot bird (that level of control without diminishing any desire).

You also have to make the dog bird king early whereas the dog really can't fail being successful. Make their head as big as you can.

Over time, afield, you dial back the ease of finding the bird to build perseverance. BUT, the dog always enters a field with the expectation there's birds there.

To the earlier comment, it's pretty easy to get a young dog to a flagged bird without the pup knowing you helped it get there.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Flatsmaster23 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:35 pm

I’m not going to upland hunt ... do u no what’s required to get past the last day that’s upland at the Grand ?

Flatsmaster23
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:41 pm

Flatsmaster23 wrote:I’m not going to upland hunt ... do u no what’s required to get past the last day that’s upland at the Grand ?

Isn't it in their rules? I have only seen AKC tests and they are stupid simple. Walk up, bird in box is sprung, dog sits (whistle sit allowed) and dog sent for bird.
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:43 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Flatsmaster23 wrote:I’m not going to upland hunt ... do u no what’s required to get past the last day that’s upland at the Grand ?

Isn't it in their rules? I have only seen AKC tests and they are stupid simple. Walk up, bird in box is sprung, dog sits (whistle sit allowed) and dog sent for bird.

It's meaningless to me. As an upland hunter sounds like an insult to run an upland test and get a ribbon. But I am old school. :beer:
Deplorable Since 1776
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Dakota Creek » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:09 am

A dog that will quarter within gun range (10-30 yds), will engage the bird to flush (rather than box launchers dropboxes are often used), as the handler you must "shoot" (870 with popper) the flushed bird to signal the live gunners it is safe for them to shoot the released bird ..... and of course the all important fact that your dog must be steady to wing and shot, whether it sits on the whistle or stands. The upland test also has a walk-up and honour component to it. And of course gun safety with HRC is a must, so your "shot" must be a safe one when you have a working dog in front of you, or the judges will not count the flush and you will move onto the next bird. Two successful flushes are needed within the test to pass.

Does not sound like a lot when compared to marks and blinds but with the dog's natural excitement in finding and flushing, even the most experienced handlers can let the excitement and nerves get to them and mistakes are made. The upland can be a "busier" test than sitting on a bucket during a Finished test! :wink:
NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC/CKC) (HRC & NAHRA 500 pt club)
HRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc SH
SHR UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Flatsmaster23 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:53 am

Thx D Creek ... With them running 2 a year a lot of times one isn’t that far from Florida that I would like to try it

Flatsmaster23
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum