October 1st

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: Duckwyatt80, Yuchi1

October 1st

Postby Specklebelly » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:57 pm

Good luck if you are throwing arrows tomorrow. It should be beautiful weather.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Re: October 1st

Postby micneador » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:23 pm

At the hospital about to have daughter #2, don't think I'll be hunting tomorrow. Lol

A new fire for deer hunting has been fired lately and I've actually prepared to bow hunt for this first time in many years. Purchased a saddle and built some heavy, high FOC arrows.

If things go well for momma and baby then I may hunt sunday or monday since I've taken off work until next thursday.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby DontGetCrabs » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:00 pm

Never did have the patience for sitting in a tree all day. It's why I'm a duck hunter first and foremost. Play with decoys, calls, dog. But I've had a couple of deer bedding down by my kitchen window that I might take out while making coffee one morning with a crossbow. That's about as hardcore as I'll get into deer hunting. I am planning on getting out on the 3rd for the special hunt day. Hoping to see some birds.
DontGetCrabs
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:12 pm

micneador wrote:At the hospital about to have daughter #2, don't think I'll be hunting tomorrow. Lol

A new fire for deer hunting has been fired lately and I've actually prepared to bow hunt for this first time in many years. Purchased a saddle and built some heavy, high FOC arrows.

If things go well for momma and baby then I may hunt sunday or monday since I've taken off work until next thursday.

Congratulations on #2, that is awesome.

A little advice, don't go hunting this weekend even if she says "its ok, go ahead and go hunting". She doesn't mean it and with post-pregnancy hormones going full speed, you will likely regret it. Just my $00.02. If you decide to go anyway, good luck and post pictures of your success.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby Bluecat » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:43 pm

DontGetCrabs wrote:Never did have the patience for sitting in a tree all day. It's why I'm a duck hunter first and foremost. Play with decoys, calls, dog. But I've had a couple of deer bedding down by my kitchen window that I might take out while making coffee one morning with a crossbow. That's about as hardcore as I'll get into deer hunting. I am planning on getting out on the 3rd for the special hunt day. Hoping to see some birds.

The special hunt day in zone 1 and 2 is November 7. The 3rd is the panhandle I believe
Bluecat
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:02 am

micneador wrote:At the hospital about to have daughter #2, don't think I'll be hunting tomorrow. Lol

Have you been watching THP and Ranch Fairy YouuTube?
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby DontGetCrabs » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:07 am

Bluecat wrote:
DontGetCrabs wrote:Never did have the patience for sitting in a tree all day. It's why I'm a duck hunter first and foremost. Play with decoys, calls, dog. But I've had a couple of deer bedding down by my kitchen window that I might take out while making coffee one morning with a crossbow. That's about as hardcore as I'll get into deer hunting. I am planning on getting out on the 3rd for the special hunt day. Hoping to see some birds.

The special hunt day in zone 1 and 2 is November 7. The 3rd is the panhandle I believe

You are correct sir.
DontGetCrabs
hunter

Postby micneador » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:14 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:

I started watching ranch fairy back in February, then saw THP with Wray. Ended up with a total arrow weight around the 630-650 grain ballpark. 200 grain inserts and a 125 grain samurai single bevel.

micneador
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:41 am

micneador wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:

I started watching ranch fairy back in February, then saw THP with Wray. Ended up with a total arrow weight around the 630-650 grain ballpark. 200 grain inserts and a 125 grain samurai single bevel.

Nice, same here. Just got my kit in the other day. Shooting lasers with the Appolo 300s. Tried to go as heavy as I could but the 100 gain insert with 150 gain tip just flat out worked. I'll be at 565 before fetchings, still waiting on my silver flames to come in.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:57 pm

I’ve sat in the stand 3 times. Probably won’t get another sit for two weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby micneador » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:36 pm

Made several sits in the saddle, have yet to draw blood. Deer are slowly transitioning from hay pasture to acorns. Lots of post oak and red oak beginning to drop on my property.Image

micneador
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:39 am

micneador wrote:Made several sits in the saddle, have yet to draw blood. Deer are slowly transitioning from hay pasture to acorns. Lots of post oak and red oak beginning to drop on my property.Image

How do you like the tree saddle? I’m still doing the lightweight hang on.

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby micneador » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:43 pm

okduckdude wrote:
micneador wrote:Made several sits in the saddle, have yet to draw blood. Deer are slowly transitioning from hay pasture to acorns. Lots of post oak and red oak beginning to drop on my property.Image

I'm loving it. Bought a tethrd phantom and it's really nice. Going to purchase a tree hopper recon sling to see if it's any better.

Gained permission to a property down the road from my house a few weeks ago. Set a cam on some major trial intersections and let it soak. Came back to get this pic. [emoji44]Image

micneador
hunter

Postby DontGetCrabs » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:05 pm

First year hunting been practicing all summer. Think I'm ready?
DontGetCrabs
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:57 am

micneador wrote:
okduckdude wrote:

I'm loving it. Bought a tethrd phantom and it's really nice. Going to purchase a tree hopper recon sling to see if it's any better.

Gained permission to a property down the road from my house a few weeks ago. Set a cam on some major trial intersections and let it soak. Came back to get this pic. [emoji44]Image

Now that is definitely a promising trail. Hope you get him.

I am not sure I can handle the saddle. I sold my deer stand a few years ago as I just don't like heights that are not supported. I am a ground blind guy or tripod stand user. Tall tripods are tough with a bow but the ground adds a lot of challenge.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby micneador » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:20 pm

Specklebelly wrote:
micneador wrote:
okduckdude wrote:

Now that is definitely a promising trail. Hope you get him.

I am not sure I can handle the saddle. I sold my deer stand a few years ago as I just don't like heights that are not supported. I am a ground blind guy or tripod stand user. Tall tripods are tough with a bow but the ground adds a lot of challenge.

I've never like ladder stands and grew up hardly ever wearing my harness. What sold me on the saddle is that you are always tied to the tree in some way wether it be your lineman's rope or your tether. There is no way to fall completely out of the tree unless your tether or lineman rope breaks.

I'll ground hunt if I have to. This guy I'll most likely have to ground hunt if he shows up in daylight ever. Image

micneador
hunter

Postby micneador » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:03 pm

Anybody tag a smoke pole deer? Seen lots of scrapes and rubs this past week. Had plenty of chances to kill does, just always seemed to get into them when I was around good buck sign.

micneador
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:11 pm

micneador wrote:Anybody tag a smoke pole deer? Seen lots of scrapes and rubs this past week. Had plenty of chances to kill does, just always seemed to get into them when I was around good buck sign.

I did, a big fat doe. Probably the biggest one I ever shot.

I saw rubs on Saturday while building my duck blind. That is definitely a good sign.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:43 pm

Just acquired a deer/duck lease this past week. Went out to throw up some cameras and in my short time I found 6 scrapes and 1 rub, this is mostly crop field with relatively limited timber so I felt like that was quite a bit for the area.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:42 am

Only had 4 sits. Seen does and small buck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

okduckdude
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting