Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all the discussion about chokes and all I've said about them I have decided to get a aftermarket choke For my 10 ga. What have you had a positive experience with? I shoot mostly #2 or BB and I would like see if I can get better pattern at 40 yards. I don't want a center cluster at 40 just a nice even pattern. something that if I get buzzed at the treetops I'm covered and out to 40. Suggestions?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I shoot a Browning gold 10 gauge so far in my pattern test the best choke for BB steel has been Kick`s modfied at 50 yards has an open be even pattern and still is not to tight at 30 yards.Shooting the Kick`s mod with number 1 steel it is to open at 50 yards but is good at 40 yards.The Kick`s choke is cheaper than a pattern master and looks better at closer ranges with this said the factory modified looks good at 40 yards but is not as even as a pattern.Less muzzle jump with the Kick`s.

The Terror choke looks great but way to tight inside of 40 yards that might not be what you are looking for.

Pennsyltucky can you tip me off on were the best option is for force cone lengthen and polish.

Thanks Lefty Jim

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
don taylor said:
What does that run? Did you see a marked improvement with all chokes? What chokes did you Try/dislike?
i dont know what other shops charge. probably from 50 to 100 depending on who you have do it.

the bps has excellent chokes to begin with, so while going to an aftermarket one may show a little improvement, its not something you will notice while hunting. only with the extreme end of the killing zone will there be any improvement, especially for turkey hunting. a lengthened forcing cone, when done right and polished, will improve all the functions of your gun. less recoil is also a side effect. (technically, its less FELT recoil, but whatever, i dont know how they quantify "UNFELT" recoil :huh: )

the only gun i did that didnt show at least some improvement was an old 12ga sxs that had bad bores.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
i mostly do my testing with the factory chokes since ther is more of a change with them. the aftermarkets tend to even things out, so there is less of an improvement. i did play with a patternmaster in a BPS 10ga, but wasnt impressed. the factory modified patterned the same with steel 2's after doing the forcing cone... he still uses the PM for 4-buck on coyotes, and got one at 87 yards this past fall :thumbsup: it had 9 holes in the chest. i think 12 total. thats 12/50 in a little dog at almost 90 yards, with hornady lead buckshot. if i was shootin buck alot, id either make a studded choke or buy a PM. i put adjustable studs in one of my 10ga single barrels, but its just too cold to do much testing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.