Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this Remington 11-87 Premier, I had one several years ago and it was NOTHING but trouble. it would continously blow those o-rings and after 3 trips to Remington I got rid of it. This one was new and half price as the guy I got it from won it and just wanted a few bucks for a pistol. I completely cleaned and very lightly lubed it. Took it to the sporting clays range and the first 50 rounds were fine, about round 70 it had a FTE and I had to remove a fired shell that had stovepiped. the next 30 rounds were fine too. Shooting heavy sporting clays loads.

The issue I have found after 100 rounds the plastic piece on the back of the bolt is showing signs of breakage, ( see picture ) it has a hairline crack and is pretty smashed in a 1/2 moon shape. I picked this up with the intention of using it for sporting clays only and shooting 50 to 100 rounds a week. At this rate it will not last 6 months.

· Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think in the last 10 years they would have FIXED them.

I was not buying it for the duck blind (Benellis belong there) and not shooting Magnum ammo so I hoped it would at least handle trap loads, I guess I was wrong. :thumbsdown:

· Registered
952 Posts
sell it now while its still worth something. Bought one of the 11-87 supermags when they first came out, total garbage!!!!! Sits in the box and hasnt been shot in several years. Would like to sell it but would feel guilty sticking someone else with a lemon.....

· Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does this cheap pastic piece come out so that I can replace it? and is there something better that might last more than 100 rounds?
Thanks

· Registered
3,849 Posts
I am competely disgusted that Remingtons are considered junk. My family has always been a big Remington family. I was raised shooting them. What a sad day this is for me. I owne 2 Brownings now but always liked the Rems

· Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
duckbuster06 said:
waterfowlhunter said:
does this cheap pastic piece come out so that I can replace it? and is there something better that might last more than 100 rounds?
Thanks
Yeah, a Benelli, Winchester, or Browning :smile:
I have 3 SBE's and an X2 but I bought this to shoot my Real light 1oz loads. I Loaded about 2000 of them when I had my Browning 525 but could not hit ANYTHING but air with it so i sold it. I figured this would serve the purpose of a cheap gun to shoot up this ammo. It will cycle my light loads where the Benelli's and X2 would not. It's under warranty I will call Remincrap and see what they say about it.

· Registered
952 Posts
I've owned several Remingtons and quite frankley I love em'. I've owned an SP-10, 870 express, 870 super mag, 870 youth, 11-87 LC, and an 11-87 super mag. But it is the 11-87 supermag that has been really dissappointing and it seems like they dont have any type of quality control in place. It really seems like the "older" remingtons were really built to last. Its a shame .......

· Registered
70 Posts
I have an 1100 from the 60's that was handed to me when i was 12 from my grandmother. the stock was the right size at that time for me i have since replaced the stock. this gun only has problems when it turns about 30 degrees in the blind.

OH forgot to say for all i know it has the original O rings. Recieved the gun when i was 12 and i am now 24 looking to buy an SBEII though

GOHEREBAY

· Banned
6,658 Posts
dbohunts said:
Why would anyone buy a gun (or 3) for over a $1000 and still have to buy another gun to shoot light loads? :huh: Seems to me if you are going to spend that much on a firearm it should be able to cycle all loads.
I agree. I spent $900 total on a SX3 and plan to use it for just about everything. I don't need 3.5" so it should cycle the lighter loads just fine.

· Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dbohunts said:
Why would anyone buy a gun (or 3) for over a $1000 and still have to buy another gun to shoot light loads? :huh: Seems to me if you are going to spend that much on a firearm it should be able to cycle all loads.
Because I can :tongue:

My X2 3.5" will not cycle my 1oz 2.5dram loads but this 11-87 3" gun will.

and I paid less than $600 each for the 3 benellis and the X2 all on the clearance rack but all new / unfired and all the Benellis were in the original boxes. the X2 box was damaged.

so all of your points are without merit. And this topic was not intended for you to criticize my choices but to seek help with an issue. if you offer no help then I do not need your input.
:hammer:

just a small sample of my shotgun collection. :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
msmall said:
guns are like potato chips ..... you cant have just one.
amen Brother :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.