Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went duck hunting this past weekend and my 11-87 jammed after i shot it. It was recently cleaned and was wondering if there is anything I should be cleaning that I am not. Also wondering if it could be the ammo i am using. I used Hevi-Shot 3".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Take off your recoil pad,and remove your stock. In the little tube is a spring. Push a flat blade screw driver to release the pressure on the spring and remove the little pin in the end of the tube. the spring will shoot out so be careful!!! Take a .410 barrel brush and some gun scrubber (Casey's) and get all of the powder and moisture residue out. Clean off the spring really well also. Then wipe the spring down with WD-40, careful not to leave any excess. then take some patches and dry out the spring tube. take a patch and lightly spray a patch with WD-40 AND WIPE THE TUBE JUST TO PROTECT IT FROM RUSTING. You don't want any extra lubrication in there. Reassemble and clean the rest of the 11-87 as you normally would. DON'T OVER OIL THE ACTION! Use a Q-tip to barely oil the slides for the bolt! And always use a good synthetic firearm oil like Rem oil. If you pull apart your spring tube and it is covered is rust, Cabelas has stainless steel replacement tubes and springs for around $100.00. Should be as reliable as new if nothing is broken in the gun!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Duck huntin' fool is giving you the right advise, unless you want to sell that jammington :mrgreen: .The only thing I'd say is don't use wd-40. In my opinion it's the worst stuff you could ever put on a shotgun. Stick with rusty duck or birch-wood casey products, or at leaast something designed for a gun. Even then be very conservative on your auto. Most cycling problems are from too much oil in the action and return spring.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
I agree that you should not use WD-40. It evaporates quickly. I tried an 11-87 and sold it shortly after the first season. Trigger guard is too small for my fingers with gloves on. Mine also jammed and after sending it to Remington they sent it back with a "box" of O-Rings and told me that if I shoot 3" magnums I should change the O-ring often as they will break down and not seal properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Make sure you never leave that stainless magazine tube with any type of liquid gun cleaner on it. The best way to clean the gun (1187) is to clean the spring in the butt of the gun,as previously posted by another member,first and work your way through the gun from butt to barrel going through the receiver, trigger assembly, chamber,etc.,etc.,ending with the magazine tube. Make sure the small hole in the bottom of the barrell where the barrell and magazine tube meet is unobstructed also to allow free-flow of gas. A fine grade of steel wool is the best material to use on the tube itself and ALWAYS SHOOT WITH THE TUBE DRY and simply LIGHTLY oil the o-ring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.