Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanderin on a price range for used Remington 11-87. A friend of mine want's to sell me his for $350.00. I think it sound's like a good deal, it is in very good shape, vent rib, comes with four choke tube's, has engraving on the side( I did'nt look very close at it could'nt tell you what it was), and he mentioned something about it having a skeet stock. Don't know much about auto's. Any advice would be gladly welcome. Thank's :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Offer him $250 and sell it to the first sucker that comes along. I've never heard of one model having so many troubles with slamfires and "O-"rings as this one.For a few more $$$ you can get a gun that will give you 90% less hassles and have a warrenty to boot

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I have an old 1100 I like as a slug gun, never could shoot it well as a bird gun. Everyone I shoot with that has had a 11-87 now has a Beretta auto. They shot one of mine and the unbalance problem causing 11-87 is sold to a friend for $350.00 :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
wow, the last 2 posts really surprise me. i have any 11-87 special purpose. i have had it since 1992. i have shot at least 25,000 to 30,000 rounds through this shotgun (it's the only shotgun i have used for any type hunting/shot gunning sports) over the last 13 years. i have never had a single ftf, slamfire, ejection problem, etc. it still has the original o-rings on the gun. it is tight as a tick and i don't have the first problem hitting anything with it. every year i threaten to buy a new shotgun, and have since, but i use the 11-87 exclusively still. i don't know why the other 2 posters had problems with theirs. all i do for maintenence is clean it after each use. i paid $600 for it in '92. i would take it to a gunsmith, have him check it for damage, excessive wear, etc. and if he gives you the green light, i'd buy it at that price in a heartbeat. hth!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'll bet the other 2 posts are talking about one that shoots 3 1/2 inch shells, but the ones that shoot 2 3/4 and 3 inchers from what I've seen work great. The 3 1/2 model has a lot of problems.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a 2 3/4 or 3 inch only with a 26" barrel, also it is a premier don't know if that make's a difference or not told him tonight I would buy it after taking it to a gunsmith to check it out. thank's for the info :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I never had one my self, but the ones my friends have had were 3" and they didn't like them and had problems. I have an 1100 that I have had for 25 years and had only one part replaced. I think you can find a lot of issue with the autos from anyone if you get a bad one, and I think any mfr. can turn out an occasional bad one or bad run of guns. Auto's are different than other types of actions in that they can have more problems. In general I think the Remington's are good quality. I have had about 12 Remington shot guns and have 4 now and love each and every one. I have just seen some issues with the 11-87's. I like the Beretta 390/391's, and a bunch of people on this site will knock them, but mine have all been flawless and I shoot thousands of shells a year. Kind of like the Ford, Dodge, & Chev. thing I think. If you had a bad one they are always junk and if you had a good one they are the best.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Today I was out with a friend patterning some hevi shot turkey loads for the upcoming season. I was shooting my xtrema and my friend was working with the 390 I sold him last year so I could finance the xtrema. He decided to shoot a pattern with his 11-87 to compare the performance with his old setup which has killed a lot of turkeys in the past. We you guessed it, Click, Click, no bang! :eek: We didn't have the time to figure it out. The good news is that the hevi #5's put an average of 12 kill hits on that turkey head at 40 yards with an extra full, so no need to worry about the 11-87. This thread came to mind so I just couldn't resist posting it. :laughing:

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
wise man say no no no 350 to much at least 300.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.